Zero Day is Here!

imageI’m excited to announce that my first novel, a cyber thriller entitled Zero Day, is now available at all major book retailers!

Zero Day is a book in the style of Crichton and Clancy, weaving technical fact into the story. If you like the Sysinternals tools, the articles I post on this blog, are interested in computer security, or just enjoy a heart-stopping thriller, you’ll like Zero Day.  You can read a synopsis and a sample chapter, as well as find pointers to on-line book sellers, at the Zero Day web site.

I’m really pleased by the initial reviews, which have been very positive. Here is just a sampling:

"Zero Day is an addictive read that will stay with you for a long time to come. It is a MUST READ!"

"If you aren’t a computer geek, some of the lingo and explanations are going to pass right by you; but there’s enough information and ever-developing, terrifying plot developments to keep you riveted to every page."

"The entertaining story line is linear yet exhilarating and frightening especially since author Mark Russinovich is an expert on the topic as his résumé brings a scary possibility to the cyber attack that the thriller focuses on."

"The novel is more plot than characters, but it is a very frightening, fast moving narrative that reveals how interconnected we all are through the internet."

You can read all the reviews I’ve collected so far on the Praise for Zero Day page at the Zero Day Web site.

If you’re curious about the novel publishing process, you can read my three-part blog post describing my experience with Zero Day, from the initial idea, to finding an agent, signing a publisher, and final publication: The Road to Zero Day

Buy the book, leave a review on Amazon.com, follow me on Twitter, meet me at a book signing, and send a note sharing your thoughts to markrussinovich@hotmail.com.

I hope you enjoy the book look forward to hearing from you!

@Doug @Harlan @Daune Glad you like the book!

Unfortunately, MacMillan, my publisher, has not worked out an agreement with Amazon, Apple or other eBook retailers for sale outside the US. I apologize to those of you that are unable to obtain electronic copies.

Lots, but never enough – spread the word!

@J.R. Thanks! For those of you that didn't catch it lat night, you can listen to my interview on cyber security on the 'X' Zone podcast recording: traffic.libsyn.com/…/20110314_seg3.mp3

@Paulo The publisher has not yet sold any foreign rights. I hope it makes it to Italy!

@Art I'd be glad to!

I haven't been excited about a book after systernals 5th edition. (what a geeky adrenaline)

Congratulations on your first novel Mark! I haven't been this excited about a novel for a very long time.

Like your Case of the Unexplained and Malware talks, I anticipate it will bring fear, curiosity, fascination and much more, to the reader. Oh what an eye opener and full of excitement ride it will be. I can't wait to read it.

I just received mine today….wooohoooo

img864.imageshack.us/…/20110315152932.jpg

10. David Owen says:

Hi Mark,

Disappointed this is not available digitally on Amazon's Kindle. Can you give your publisher the nudge.

11. Sol Birn says:

Thanks for all "The Case of the Unexplained"s and your blog posts. They are all amazing!

Can't wait to get and read my copy of "Zero Day"!

12. Ooh says:

So the copy I pre-ordered back in January should arrive in the next weeks? :) Looking forward to reading it!

Hey Mark, congrats!

13. Simon Buchan says:

Just bought with Windows Internals 5. Woo!

On a side note, while I get that "cautionary tale" is a good marketing hook, it always makes me feel a bit annoyed to see. Fiction is not a good medium for conveying good responses to dangers.

14. Per Salmi says:

Read the sample part a few weeks back, sounds great! But why is the Kindle Edition not available in Europe?

15. Simon says:

Unless you live in the UK :(

Looking forward to it, though!

16. Dave Van den Eynde says:

Not available in the European Kindle store either. I'll wait.

17. Ian Ellison-Taylor says:

Congratulations Mark, I'm looking forward to reading it!

18. Paolo Marani says:

Congratulations!

Is your publisher planning to sell in old europe too, so translating your book in some foreign languages ?

I would push for an italian version!

19. Tomica Kaniski says:

Congratulations! Can't wait for my copy to arrive… (+ hope to see another book soon :))

20. GregM says:

Mine's at my office, unfortunately, today I'm not.

21. Phil says:

When is the movie Mark? Can I get a part?

22. Lukas says:

> Unfortunately, MacMillan, my publisher, has not worked out an agreement with Amazon, Apple or other eBook retailers for sale outside the US.

Any chances for this or is there no point to wait?

23. Robin Hood says:

To all the people who don't really care about foreign rights. Go to your Amazon account -> Manage Your Kindle -> Your Country -> enter any US address -> buy the books you like :)

24. alexandroid says:

Mark, couldn't you self-publish for eBook?

25. PaulY says:

Not avaialable for Kindle in Australia either.

Shouldn't be too long until Pirate Bay has copies avaialble then I hope.

I do try and pay for things first.

26. Andy says:

I'm in the seventh chapter of Zero-Day.  I don't know if I should be happy or appalled when I instantly knew what function the fragment of disassembly had.  I had already been sold on finishing the book by chapter two, though.

27. J.R. Stewart says:

Very good Podcast on the x-zone radio show!

28. Miro says:

OK, with Zero day out, i'm hoping for release of 7th edition of Windows Internals soon :)

29. User says:

Mark, why did you choose such a publisher? I tried now several ebook stores – no one what's to sell it to Germany. Oh yes – it's impossible to send few bytes over the ocean!

What is an option now? Pirate Bay…

30. Marco Dufour says:

Hi Mark, I've been (as a European citizen) granted a pre-release copy of your nice novel. I love reading your book (haven't finished it yet), but I also hope that it will be released in digital form someday, because I like reading from my iPad more then reading from a paperback because of the many features like pdf annotations, search and zooming in to the text (my eyes are getting old;-).

For what I've read so far I really like your technical detail of the way the security experts and hackers think and act. My compliments!

31. Julian Winter says:

Real shame about lack of electronic version in the UK. Your core audience are tech types who will look for a digital version first. It is they who will get sales off the ground. Big mistake by publishers. Can't be so difficult – there are very few US digital books not available in UK. Anyway good luck. Great read.

32. Veronica says:

Congratulations big brother!!  Love the book, and I know nothing about technical issues, but it has wide appeal!  Thanks for the great read!  You continue to amaze! : )

33. tam says:

I see B&N has the ebook, but none of my local stores are stocking it.

34. Drazen Dotlic says:

While I'm rather interested in buying the book, unless it's available in electronic form (doesn't matter which format – PDF/ePub/mobi) I won't buy it.

I'm not in the US (what's with the publishers restricting the sales to the US market?) so US only editions don't count.

35. Fernando Madruga says:

@Julian: Couldn't agree more! I'm more into digital versions than carrying tons of paper with me, not to mention more features and more environment friendly.

@Mark: love your tools which I can't live without and love to read your articles but also live in Europe. I'll try again in a couple months to see if a digital version is available for us Europeans (you do know that this "interconnected" world is bigger than US?)

36. patrick says:

This is the first Book that I bought on Apple iBooks for IPAD reading pleasure. Great read so far.

37. Mark Nash says:

My copy arrived yesterday from Amazon. Have put aside the other 3 books I am reading to concentrate on this. Mind you I did see something in the comments about Windows Internals 5…..

38. Eric Burdo says:

I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to what I read (or anything I put into my head really).  I read the sample chapter, and promptly cancelled my order.  I really like reading your blog posts, and think this would have been an excellent book.  I guess I was basing my assumptions on how well you write, and how "clean" your blog posts are.

Just disappointed in the level of language and "adult innuendo" in the first chapter.  :(

39. Andrei says:

Mark, congrats on the book!

Can you please say anything about Windows Internals 6th edition?

It seems like you guys(together with Solmon and Ionescu ) abandoned it.

Too bad. An update on Win7 is needed.

40. Malcolm Leckie says:

Congratulations

How would one purchase a signed copy in Australia ?

regards

41. Keith Warren says:

Mark, is there an audiobook version coming? If so are you the reader?

42. Anthony says:

Just read the excerpt and was impressed, good pace and definitely made me want to continue reading :)

43. Doug Boehme says:

I was able to purchase this from Google Books and read it on my Android.  It is a great story and I'm having a very hard time putting it down!

44. Harlan says:

I obtained my copy on Kindle 1 week ago.  I finished the book tonight – it was hard to stop reading.  I really love the role of Jeff Aiken.  Wow, man that is my life every day.  I love going after these viruses as long as the customer is not standing over my shoulder continuing to ask every 20 minutes how much this is going to cost.  I work in a field role as does Jeff (paid much less though) Most of the time I am successful in getting a system cleaned up in 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Once in awhile I will have to do a reload (like the one I am doing tonight) – now because I cannot get the system clean but because as I explained to a customer today if you get shot by the bullet you can take the bullet out but your kidney is still blown up.

I think that your book is very timely.  Two years ago a system could be infected for weeks and have thousands of infections and still be running.  But the malware that I see now can cripple a system within hours.  While the scanners are running I will do some manual searches and delete the things that I see that are obviously not supposed to be there.  I love the security side of the network world especially when a customer has a worm that is moving through their network.  I feel like I am on the hunt.  I even more like some of these malware items that morph into other things while you are chasing them down.  Sometimes it is a race to get ahead of the malware and my like Jeff I become unaware of other things going on around me.  Great book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had just read Tom Clancey's "Dead or Alive" before this one and so I see "spooks" and evil agents lurking behind every corner.

45. Daune Robinson says:

By now you all probably know this – but it is available on Kindle, and it is a great book!

46. Manish Kungwani says:

Dear Mark,

The book is really good, too fictitious for a Pilot friend of mine, yet a good read. :)

On a totally different note, and probably I am wasting your time, I have a small issue on my Win7 PC! I have windows 7 64 bit ultimate and have been using it for quite some time. Before the 64 bit install, I was using the 32bit version or edition of Windows 7.

During the migration, i used the "Windows Easy Transfer" wizard to migrate and keep all my settings.

After the migration, the context-menu for my Start Menu items doesn't work.

eg. When i RightClick on any of the RECENTLY USED applications, nothing happens.

Same thing when i press the properties key on the keyboard (which works like right click.).

This issue is only on the start menu items, NOWHERE else on the system.

It even works on the START button.

Is there any solution, any utility via which I can resolve this or anyway to see the dll being called upon the right click. IF i am able to find the particular [dll] will replacing it from a healthy win7 64bit installation solve the issue??

Thanks a lot :)

Any response is welcome on email: me[at]manishkungwani[dot]com

47. Robert says:

A small hint if you live outside US and want the Kindle version  – you can temporarily 'move' to the US in your Amazon settings by adding a secondary shipment address :-)

Great read!

48. onlineangel says:

Preordered awhile before release for my Kindle. Downloaded day of release and finished a few days later – great stuff! I love thrillers and especially love the idea of technothrillers but 99% of them annoy the heck out of me due to incorrect terms, incorrect information, things that just make no sense to anyone with a clue, etc. Your book, of course, does not have those problems!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now… you know you have to write another book, right?!?!

49. Rami M.M. says:

A real advanced computer user writing a cyberthriller sounds great, but I just don't think "if you like Tom Clancy" is a positive recommendation for me.

50. Larry H. says:

I'll be purchasing the B&N eBook tomorrow, Payday!

It sounds like a great read.

51. Frank says:

Mark,

Can we ask how many copies have sold?

52. Art says:

Almost finished the paper version of the book. It's a great read.

Maybe you can sign it for me next year at the Tech Ed Europe 2012?

53. Bill Hilf says: