The Case of the Random IE Crash

While I long for the day when I no longer experience the effects of buggy software, there’s something rewarding about solving my own troubleshooting cases. In the process, I often come up with new techniques to add to my bag of tricks and to share with you in my “Case of the Unexplained…” presentations and blog posts. The other day I successfully closed an especially interesting case that opened when Internet Explorer (IE) crashed as I was reading a web page:

image

Whenever I experience a crash, whether it’s the system or an application, I always take a look at it. There’s no guarantee, but many times after spending just a few minutes I find clues that point at an add-on as the cause and ultimately a fix or workaround. In most cases when it’s an application crash, the faulty process is obvious and I simply launch Windbg (from the free Debugging Tools for Windows package that comes with the Windows SDK and Windows DDK), attach it to the process, and start investigating.

Sometimes however, the faulting process isn’t obvious, like was the case when I saw the IE crash dialog. That’s because I was running IE8, which has a multi-process model where different tabs are hosted in different processes:

image

I had multiple tabs open as usual, so I had to figure out which IE process of the four that were running (in addition to the parent broker instance) was the one that had crashed. I could have taken the brute-force approach of attaching to each process in turn and searching for the faulting thread, but there’s fortunately a simpler and more direct way to identify the target process.

When a process crashes, the Windows Error Reporting (WER) service launches its own process, called WerFault, in the session of the crashed process to display the error dialog to the user running the session and to generate a crash dump file. So that WerFault knows which process is the one that crashed, the WER service passes the process ID (PID) of the target on WerFault’s command line. You can easily view the command line with Process Explorer. Because I always have Process Explorer running with its icon visible in the tray area of the taskbar, I clicked on the icon to open it and found the WER process in the process tree:

image

I double-clicked on it to open the process properties dialog and the command line revealed the process ID of the problematic IE process:

image

Now that I knew it was process 4440 in which I was interested, I started Windbg, pressed F6 to open the process selection dialog, and double-clicked on Iexplore.exe process 4440. With Windbg attached, my next step was to locate the thread that had faulted so that I could examine its stack for signs of a buggy add-on. In some cases, relying on Windbg’s built-in crash analysis heuristics, which you can trigger with the !analyze command, will do the job for you, but it didn’t this time. Finding the faulting thread is fairly straightforward, though.

First, go to Windbg’s View menu and open both the Processes and Threads and the Call Stack dialogs, arranging them side by side. The goal is to find the thread that has functions with the words fault, exception, or unhandled in their names. You can quickly do this by selecting each thread in the Processes and Threads window, pressing Enter, and then scanning the stack that appears in the Call Stack window. After doing this for the first few threads, I came across the thread I was looking for, revealed by functions all over its stack containing the telltale strings:

image

Unfortunately, I was at an apparent dead end as far as fingering an add-on: all the DLLs shown in the call stack were Microsoft’s. There was one indicator that there might be an add-on hidden from view though, and that was the text reporting that Windbg couldn’t find symbols for at least some of the stack’s frames, so was forced to make guesses about the stack’s layout and was showing an address that didn’t lie within any DLL:

image

This happens when a DLL uses frame pointer omitted (FPO) calling conventions, which in the absence of symbolic information for the DLL prevents the debugger from finding stack frames just by following the frame-pointer chain. The return addresses for the functions the thread invoked must be on the stack (unless they were overwritten by the bug that caused the crash), but Windbg’s heuristics couldn’t locate them.

There’s a Windbg command that you can use in these cases to hunt for the missing frame function addresses, the Display Words and Symbols command. If you’re debugging a 32-bit process, use the dds version of the command and if it’s a 64-bit process use dqs. You can also use dps (Display Pointer Symbols), which will interpret the function addresses as the appropriate size for a 32-bit or 64-bit process. The address to give to the command as the starting point should be the address of the stack frame immediately above the one where Windbg got lost. To see the address, click on the Addrs button in the call stack dialog:

image

The address on the frame in question was 2cbc5c8:

image

I passed it to dds as the argument and pressed enter:

image

The first page of results didn’t list any functions besides the expected one, KiUserException. I hit the enter key again without typing another command, because for address-based commands like dds, that tells Windbg to repeat the last the last command at the address where it left off. The second page of results yielded something more interesting, the name of a DLL I wasn’t familiar with:

image

An easy way to see version information for a module without leaving Windbg is to use the lm (List Modules) command. The output of that command told me that Yt.dll (the name of the DLL is the text to the left of the “!”) was part of the Yahoo Toolbar:

image

This came as a surprise because the system on which the crash occurred was my home gaming system, a computer that I’d only had for a few weeks. The only software I generally install on my gaming systems are Microsoft Office and games. I don’t use browser toolbars and if I did, would obviously use the one from Bing, not Yahoo’s. Further, the date on the DLL showed that it was almost two years old. I’m pretty diligent about looking for opt-out checkboxes on software installers, so the likely explanation was that the toolbar had come onto my system piggybacking on the installation of one of the several video-card stress testing and temperature profiling tools I used while overclocking the system. I find the practice of forcing users to opt-out annoying and not giving them a choice even more so, so was pretty annoyed at this point. A quick trip to the Control Panel and a few minutes later and my system was free from the undesired and out-of-date toolbar.

Using a couple of handy troubleshooting techniques, within less than five minutes I had identified the probable cause of the crash I experienced, made my system more reliable, and probably even improved its performance. Case closed.

1. Yuhong Bao says:

Jeff Dowling: Try contacting product support, you may have to pay, but they will help debug the problem and if it is indeed really MS's fault, they may create a hotfix.

2. Yuhong Bao says:

Tip: At the end of the KiUserExceptionDispatcher line, there is a context pointer you can use .cxr against. Similarly when you are kernel mode debugging and you see a TrapFrame pointer at the end of line, you can use .trap against.

3. @Remus

Good point. I've updated the text to note that 'dps' will do the right thing.

4. Brian says:

This was very interesting. But to me it just highlights the much bigger problem – what would my 70 year-old mother have done? "Brian, I got this 'toast' that says something about the program not responding." She calls anything that pops up 'toast' but she would have NO idea what to do here.

How can we, as an industry, help her and the growing number of folks like her who just want to use the 'dang puter' to buy something online or get email from her grandkids?

5. tom says:

Mark, thanks for sharing!  Next step: interview Carol Bartz.

6. Samuel Svarc says:

Color me impressed (as usual)!

Now, besides reading this blog, where can I find this type of troubleshooting information? I have used some of your tools in the past (ProcessExplorer, ProcessMonitor, etc.) but where can I find a learning guide(s) to this high level troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

7. nick says:

Good info Mark!  Have you looked over the tools you installed to see if there was an obvious culprit?  If you still have the install packages, you could probably just rip them open and look for the Yahoo cab files.  I'm sure even the Yahoo folks would like to know who's distributing a 2 year old version of their toolbar with these kinds of bugs in it…

8. tony roth says:

drive by installs like this should be treated like a virus and all av software manufactures should be made aware of these issues.  Did you figure out what software did the rogue install?

9. Neil says:

Once a again a great read with some great tips!  I just don't how the home user is expected to get remotely close to solving a problem like that.  The vast majority of people would probably just re-install windows wasting a valuable amount of time.  Its a shame that even though it is a third party dll IE just crashes with no useful information whatsoever.  I long for the day when Windows apps crash they give me some useful information to work with.

10. Adriano Ueda says:

Your technique is very interesting, but it's very hard to reach this level of knowledge! Congrats!

11. Peter says:

You could have just looked in Add/Remove programs for anything browser related 🙂

But thanks for this tip. I wasn't familiar with the FPO issue and the dds/dqs commands.

12. Paul C says:

Fascinating article.

But you have to ask why after all these years doesn't microsoft write code that identifies the cause of the problem to a typical computer user in language that they could understand, and offer to uninstall the Yahoo Toolbar for them? This would be a valuable addition to the operating system, and is the type of thing that Microsoft should be doing if they want to see Windows retain its relevance for the typical home user. I'm sure Mark could whip off something like this in a week or two.

We need to implement the intelligence and programming skills of Mark in the operating system, so the typical user doesn't require Mark's skills to keep their home installation of Windows running.

13. ML49448 says:

Another awesome entry!  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

14. Christian says:

Thanks for this fantastic article, Mark! I could keep reading and reading and reading.

And you always make it sound so simple. 🙂

15. Mick says:

@Samuel Svarc

> Now, besides reading this blog, where can I find this type of troubleshooting information?

Check out the videos that Mark and David Solomon did a few years back, known as the SysInternals Video Library. They are presented by Mark and Dave and cover Server 2003 and Windows XP analysis and troubleshooting.

In my opinion, these videos are the next best thing to taking an in-person class from Mark and/or Dave:

16. Michael Dragone says:

Another great post. Thanks, Mark!

I have to chime in with some of the other commenters here though. How is an "ordinary user" supposed to resolve this problem? While I have all of the Sysinternals tools and Windbg installed on my boxes, I'm quite certain that my neighbor doesn't. He also wouldn't have the patience or knowledge to step through a troubleshooting procedure like this.

He'd probably just curse Microsoft for making shoddy software (undeserved in this case) and then install Firefox or Chrome. In today's world of stealth installers and add-ons, how can we get Windows to report errors more clearly? That "IE has stopped working" message should say: "Not my fault! Might be the fault of add-on Yahoo! Toolbar." (insert your own joke about NotMyFault.sys here 🙂 )

At least that would point someone in a general troubleshooting direction.

17. Remus Rusanu says:

You can use ‘dps’ which dumps ‘pointer-size’.
    msdn.microsoft.com/…/ff540455%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

18. Aunt Tilly says:

@Brian: This, again, drives home the point that the 70 year old grandmother is woefully out of luck with Windows unless his grandson happens to be Mark Russinovich. Buy her an Apple.

The same goes for the tales about Mark's wife's computer: Each time something goes wicked in it, his wife hollers him to help, and each time he supermanly, if not batmanly, manages to hunt down the cunning driver or spyware problem. The point is not that Mark is a Super Hero (we all knew that already), but that just about anybody elses wife would've been out of luck. Not necessarily because their husbands are wimps, but because Windows is doomed to suffer from spyware, viruses and sucky drivers no matter how cleanly you try to use it,

(For the record, I'm not an Apple nor Batman fan. I use Windows at work and linux at home. Linux is sucky in other ways, but is good at doing what it's told and nothing else (I haven't seen an unwanted Yahoo!! bar on my linux boxes). MacOS X I don't have enough experience to talk about, but I would guess it is not perfect either.)

19. Jeroen Mostert says:

To all the people who say "why doesn't Microsoft just…": first of all, correctly diagnosing these problems without prior knowledge is very hard to automate. The general problem of figuring out who *exactly* is to blame for a crash is practically unsolvable — modules can cause problems that won't show up for a long time and then in somebody *else's* code. It takes a good deal of sleuthing to identify the real culprit in such cases — Mark's example here was fairly trivial, the only hurdle being the FPO. Misblaming someone on an automated basis would be a costly mistake.

The best you could hope for is an application compatibility database that would say "this version of the Yahoo Toolbar is known to cause instability in IE8, warn the user about that". There already is such a compatibility database, actually (you may have seen it in action in the early days of Vista and Win7), but obviously keeping it up to date is lots of work. I have no idea what Microsoft's policies on it are; if I were Microsoft I'd have a team assigned to dissecting crash reports sent by WER not just for problems in my code but especially for problems in third-party code — they probably have such a team. Even then you'd want to get permission from Yahoo to warn about incompatibilities with Yahoo's stuff — otherwise they're opening themselves up to defamation and monopoly lawsuits.

In other words — this stuff costs a lot of money, money Microsoft is probably already investing if they're smart, but a system like that will never be perfect.

20. PCFreak says:

Nice Job! – Reading your articles makes so much fun!

21. Jon says:

I have to agree with the others, even advanced users would struggle to figure this one out. Surely a lot of what Mark did could be automated: (1) find which thread caused the exception (2) get its callstack (3) resolve symbols, as much as is possible, automatically via Microsoft's symbol server (4) If an address doesn't lie within any DLL, find the missing frame functions by doing what dds/dqs does automatically (5) show any non-MS modules as suspicious, and as much of a callstack as possible.

So why can't an advanced dialog in WER do this?

22. Jon says:

@Jeroen, that's simply not true. Everything Mark described in this post could have been automated. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

23. thebitstreamer says:

Mark, you take our attention to one of major tradeoff on current complex OS. More, maybe overlapped, functions loosly controllable by average users versus more rigid but efficient approach. I guise we need to    Add profile capabilities to OS (instead make Windows more closed) that CUT off all unneeded

24. fulano2040 says:

Mac os reports always shows you the thread where the app crash along with all the other threads from the same process some times it can even tell you the line and file in the source where it crashed.

We all know that nothing is imposible, is just a matter of comercial priorities I guess.

25. "…I find the practice of forcing users to opt-out annoying and not giving them a choice even more so."

Please have a word or two with your colleagues on the Windows Live team.

Unless the user opts-out, the Windows Live Essentials "all-in-one installer" will install WL Messenger, WLMail, WLToolbar, WLWriter, WLPhoto Gallery, WLMovie Maker, Silverlight, (and if Outlook is installed) Outlook Connector, and Office Live Add-in by default.

~Robear Dyer

MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client – since 2002

26. Robear Dyer, MS MVP says:

Please have a word or two with your colleagues on the Windows Live team.

27. Kalbintion says:

@Tilly: Windows is only targeted because it's a large well known corporation and platform. I wouldn't want to be a bank robber and rob a convenient store with only $50 in the register when i can rob the bank right next door and not be caught either way (in the best case scenario!) that same thought goes for hackers and programmers. We don't go about doing our job as them because we want to annoy users. We do it because we enjoy it. We do NOT however always intend the software to be "buggy"  and users not reporting it in detail DOES NOT HELP US to fix the problem for the new update on it. Hackers and malicious programmers write their code to do what they need to and get what information they need from the target. They don't worry if it doesnt work on a few computers due to some minor glitch they didn't see about. They most likely only tested their application on their own virtual network or something under one, maybe two, operating systems and was done with it and started attacking people. Some cases not even the test takes place.

28. Jeroen Mostert says:

@Jon: the problem here is what Microsoft should present to the end user. "This analysis indicates that the Yahoo Toolbar may be the problem, but this analysis is not perfect so in case we're wrong, please don't blame Yahoo"? Remember, we're talking about an application that's supposed to automate this for end users with no deeper understanding of the issues.

In particular, Mark's conclusion that the Yahoo Toolbar was probably to blame was exactly that — an educated guess that the Yahoo Toolbar was probably to blame. Even ignoring the possibility of stack corruption, another plugin could have corrupted IE's state in such a way to make YT crash IE — without the possibility of debugging YT effectively, this would have been very hard to show except through rigorous analysis. It would be a mistake to think scenarios like this are rare.

Don't get me wrong — automated debugging in general is awesome, and it should be used more. But you cannot very well say "we mustn't let perfect be the enemy of good" to the company lawyers when your new automated crash analysis tool is unjustly fingering the wrong third-party product(s) as unstable to your end users. "Show any non-MS modules as suspicious", indeed.

This sort of thing *can* be built, it's just a question of cost. My point is just that it's more costly than you seem to think. For people who want to script stuff like this through WinDbg to play with yourself, you know how to go about it, and lots of Microsoft people (including Mark) are making this information available. That's miles from something you can give your millions of end users, though.

That said, if they do want to make something out of this, people like Mark would be prime candidates for recruitment into the team for Project Fingerpointing. 🙂

29. Joe Morrinzon says:

This is an amazing article!! As always, many thanks Mark!!

@ Brian -> For sure you will find interesting to read one of the gems of MSPress: Windows Internals 5th edition, Mark Russinovich & David Solomon with Alex Ionescu

30. Avner says:

Robear: This is a completely different case. Mark is referring to an installer for App X that installs, along the way, unrelated App Y, usually for commercial gain. The Windows Live Installer is an installer for the Windows Live tools – it's very upfront about what it's doing – it's doing what you expect, installing Windows Live tools.

Would I prefer it if all checkboxes were unchecked by default? Probably. But there's a big difference between an unsatisfactory default configuration, like your Windows Live example or Microsoft Office, which automatically opts into installing Word and Excel and many other tools, to an overclocking app that sneaks in a completely unrelated tool.

31. Sarath says:

Post by post your'e cases are being more interesting.

32. Ken Jackson says:

@Jeroen Mostert , " if I were Microsoft I'd have a team assigned to dissecting crash reports sent by WER not just for problems in my code but especially for problems in third-party code — they probably have such a team"

You're right, they do have such a team. It's possible that this issue hasn't occurred before, or if it had, it was still under investigation (as you can imagine, there's a lot more bad code than hours to investigate them).

And @Jon, a lot of this is likely automated, but not presented to the user.  For example, the Watson that is sent to MS obviously has the callstack for the relevant process.  No one has to figure out which process to look at.  The FPO issue is trickier.  Mark knew he was looking for an addin, but an automated tool wouldn't necessarily know to look for an addin.  And even if it used a heurstic to favor non MS DLL locations, there could be multiple of them on the stack.

I agree that dumping callstacks for the faulting process is useful, and even running things like dds for the user would be a plus.  But I'd stop short of making a diagnosis unless the callstack matched a known issue.

33. Joey Joe Joe says:

The official SUN Java JRE install has an opt out checkbox for Yahoo toolbar that is very easy to miss. It is also forced upon the user during Java updates, so you have to constantly be looking out for it.

It's possible a third party automated this install procedure which accepted defaults because it needed the jvm to do it's thing.

34. Garry Trinder says:

If their were any justice you would be able to bill yahoo for your time. These drive-by toolbars are no less malware.

35. Use a real OS says:

So let me get this straight, IE called a function and didn't trap the error?  This is the yahoo toolbar fautl?  More like sloppy code from MS.  Competent coders handle errors.

– burnt out on years of MS

36. Teo says:

Hey, finally something new to learn about using PE! And it is the fact that werfault gets the PID as its "-p" argument. Now I feel cheated, this fact isn't like written on my Windows box 😀 Mark, mind lobbying at powers that be for next version of Windows (that would be Windows 7 Sp1) to rename the parameter to "-pid" or even "-faultingpid". That way competent sysadmins could deduce what does the param do just from glimpsing through PE.

37. Evert Mouw says:

Great post, Mark, and very well documented with good use of screenshots. I don't have your level of knowledge, but maybe I will try to emulate your case to learn something.

Of course this is very hard to automate for the OS. Mark's comment about having to opt out of installing unwanted software makes much more sense. To be honest, I like apt-get very much, although de decentralized way of installing programs for Windows has its benefits, like freedom 🙂

38. Andre Da Costa says:

Yahoo! Toolbar is one of the most persistent apps that seem to want to take over a users browser even when you uninstall it, it still seems to find a way back onto the system. Yahoo! seriously needs to stop!

39. Jeff Dowling says:

MSFT owns this IE8 trap.  100% reproducible for me on dictionary.com.

BUGCHECK_STR:  APPLICATION_FAULT_STATUS_BREAKPOINT_NULL_POINTER_READ

mshtml!CMarkup::OnLoadStatus+0x47

mshtml!CProgSink::DoUpdate+0x549

mshtml!CProgSink::OnMethodCall+0x12

mshtml!GlobalWndOnMethodCall+0xff

mshtml!GlobalWndProc+0x10c

Image name:          mshtml.dll

Timestamp:            Tue Feb 23 02:49:51 2010 (4B83889F)

CompanyName:    Microsoft Corporation

FileVersion:             8.00.7600.16535 (win7_gdr.100222-1515)

40. Nethack guru says:

In the case of a grandmother having this problem clicking the reset button in the advanced tabof Internet Options would have removed all toolbars and extensions and reset any other thing that might have cause this.

41. tom says:

@Brian: "This was very interesting. But to me it just highlights the much bigger problem – what would my 70 year-old mother have done? "

She would have done what every other 70-year old mother does: Drop down into the kernel debugger, and start trolling through callstacks… ;-p

42. Ryan Farmer says:

Why then, does Microsoft employ malware tactics and infect Firefox with trojan horses?

It happened a while back without the user's consent with that .NET ClickOnce crap, and it happened again today where they snuck in a search hijacker toolbar.

Forget Yahoo sneaking in their toolbar onto IE, why can't Microsoft leave their damned hands off of Firefox?

43. DLB says:

It might be nice for an average person who is not a computer expert could understand, and implement this.

44. Neil says:

Now if only werfault.exe was passed the faulting thread id too…

45. Matt says:

@Mark

What games do you play? (just curious)

46. David Pickering says:

Good informational article – love your software (even though GTA IV wont load with it running *shakes fist at sky*)

i would have looked at ie's 'manage add-ons' window etc before doing this though 😉

47. Annoyed says:

I work in I.T. and get calls about IE crashing etc.  The first thing I notice is the lack of webpage realestate due to the 6 or 7 toolbars running at the top of the browser.  My first question is "do you even use these?"  99 times out of 100 the answer is always NO.   I typically go through and uninstall them and they are shocked in how fast IE opens now :).  The whole IE toolbar drive by downloads needs to stop.  I agree with the other comment where it needs to be treated like a virus.

48. It is a real OS says:

@Use a real OS

Read Raymond Chen's blog.

You can't always just "trap the error" and carry on.  Before the error actually caused some protection fault, it could have trashed stack, program state, etc.  This is part of the reason that IE has the multi-process model, it can limit the damage to a single process rather than the entire browser.

I could just as easily write a FireFox extension with a similar bug that corrupted stack, etc.

To prevent this you either rely on process boundaries or have a browser running plugins in a verifiable way akin to the way that SQL Server can host .NET CLR-based DLLs with great safety.  As always, there's history with these things and if Microsoft just switched models overnight there'd be other people claiming how Microsoft is throwing its weight around, etc.

49. vishnu says:

I too had a similar issue.(not that similar). and for me the victim was firefox and the culprit was adobe flash plugin. I found the same out by visiting the same site using chrome.. and the plugin alone crashed in chrome and not the whole browser. I reinstalled the package and everything was back to normal.

Couldn't quite catch up with the rest conversations..

50. John C. says:

Mark,

Very interesting to see under the hood when things crash. I'm going to try some of these techniques when i have something bite the bit dust on me.

@Aunt Tilly. An Apple won't solve the problem. Apple's famous error message is an error occurred of a type unkown. Click on OK to restart.

51. Tim De Baets says:

Mark, would it be possible to add a print mode to your blog? I really like to print out your posts for offline reading. Before the Blogs platform update, I was able to get a printable version through RSS, but since the update, RSS only gives me a small summary.

It would be great if the print mode would show the comments in one long list again as well. There are always some interesting discussions in the comments, but how they are split over multiple pages now is really printer-unfriendly.

52. Shyam says:

Great work !! Really interesting approach.

53. phbo says:

ie8 crashes when installing yahootoolbar WITH its plugin of yahoomail being default mail for IE.

install yahoo toolbar without that plugin !

54. Tony Stewart says:

When in doubt> reset IE or try another browser.

55. Davorin Mestric says:

Seriously, dude, both Process Explorer and WinDbg need statistical extensions, where you use the crash data people around the world are sending to MS when crashes like this happen:

IExplore.exe

nt.dll  — 80% IExplorers have nt.dll —  1% IExplorers that crashed have nt.dll

yt.dll  —  10% have yt.dll  —  8% IExplorers that crashed have yt.dll

Or something similar, then it becomes obvious what belongs there and what is rare add-on, and how much it would increase chances of a crash.  Then buggy crap would jump out.

Similar can be done for driver files.   All the data already exists.

56. San Diego Mobile Notary says:

Great analysis.  I love all your very thorough work.  It is with incredible patience and deep understanding that you are able to convey exact causes with everyday problems.  I would hope the Microsoft reads your work and decides to implement corrections that will make their products less error prone to the general user.

Thanks for the great work.  Keep them coming.  🙂

Kurt

<a href="http://www.melissasmobilenotary.com">San Diego Mobile Notary</a>

57. seks izle says:

58. Lori says:

Hey, I'm one of those people who can't understand a word your saying. The same problem has been happening on my work computer for over 2 months now! If I hadn't stumbled on this blog, I may not have ever figured this out. I work part-time so my computer is shared with another person who happens to be constantly downloading music and whatever (I'm 55, she's in college and 25) that I don't even know how to do. There is always something going wrong and the attorney's we work for refuse to agree on who will pay to debug the computer. So you see our dilemma. In fact, one of the attorney's had a virus in his computer and just bought himself a new one instead of taking it in to have it looked at. Is it possible to have somebody's email so that if I run across a problem that I can't figure out, I can ask for help? I'm the only one in this office who tries to figure anything out when it goes wrong! The friend I did have to help previously became ill and has a brain tumor and is no longer capable of giving me pointers, so I would really appreciate any help I can get.   lori_wedde@yahoo.com

59. Eileen Eulich says:

>> Hey, I'm one of those people who can't understand a word your (sic) saying

Lori, maybe you shouldn't be coming to a site called 'technet' if you have a problem understanding technical issues. Get a mac or something.

>> Mark, would it be possible to add a print mode to your blog. I really like to print out your posts for offline reading

HAHA! That's a good one. Do you print out spreadsheets and work on them too? LULZ

60. Ninja says:

Awesome! Seems Holmes explaining to Watson. Hats off to your train of thoughts

61. Karl v. says:

I first learned about Systernals while contracting  at Huge Softrware company in Redmond. The tools are phenominal for hunting down issues. So is the name Winternals or Systernals. Regardless,  I ma the rhero on the days I fix my wife's machine at home Vista X64 but  I am henpecked in moste case when i can  not show the same   troubleshooting skills as Mark. Which gets my usual  reply "go use your MAC this one is gonna take a while" and in moste case I  just reboot  and hope  it doenst come back. In one hand  I hate  to be asked everytime any things is installed " are your sure you want to install  this spy ware?… Yes" but on the other hand So many times i went to ADDRemove application and the software I know is intalled but not present there and an unistall is not available in program files tree. I ma left to just delete floder and try to find reg entry and delete. Rather than sugessted by other post to  alter windows  force 3rd parties to follow basic steps to ensure that all software essentliy cannot install with out an unistall feature. Too easy right? Regardless Mark is my hero and as far as my wife is  why can' you be more like HIm …. HAHAHAH

62. karlsnooks says: