The Case of the Process Startup Delays

I’ve been extremely busy here at Microsoft and so haven’t had time to blog until now, but plan on getting back to posting regularly. Before I start with a look at a technical problem I ran into recently, I’m pleased to report that the Sysinternals integration is proceeding smoothly and that Bryce and I will unveil an exciting new tool when the site moves to its new home under Microsoft TechNet in late October.

I don’t use my laptop much when I’m not traveling, but I occasionally read email on it in the living room. Like most Windows users, I’m frustrated by occasional unexplained delays when I perform routine tasks like start a program or open a web page. Since joining my laptop to an internal Microsoft domain, I began experiencing regular delays when starting processes. With my Sysinternals tools arsenal in hand, I set out to investigate the root cause, suspecting that recently joining the laptop to the Microsoft domain played a role.

I began my research by first noticing that, after a delay of a few seconds starting a new process, processes I started within the following 30 seconds launched instantly. I therefore started Process Explorer, waited for 30 seconds, and then executed Notepad from Explorer’s Run dialog. Notepad didn’t appear in Process Explorer’s process tree during the expected delay, which implied the Explorer thread starting Notepad was experiencing the pause, not Notepad’s startup.

A look at the stack of the launching Explorer thread might give me a hint about the cause, but I was too impatient to look at each of Explorer’s over a dozen threads and so attached the Windbg debugger from the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows to Process Explorer, launched Notepad with Process Explorer’s Run dialog, and broke into the debugger. I opened the thread list in Windbg by selecting Processes and Threads from the View menu, selected the first one displayed, and then revisited the View menu to open the Call Stack dialog:

Stacks display with the most recently called function at the top, so the ZwWaitForSingleObject frame at the top meant that the thread was waiting on some object to become signaled. The stack frames further up the stack are in the RPCRT4 (Remote Procedure Call Runtime Version 4) DLL and the reference to the OpenLpcPort function told me that the thread was trying to initiate a RPC with another process on the same system.  It looked like the wait might be due to the GetMachineAccountSid call highlighted in the screenshot. Just as for domain user accounts, computers belonging to a domain have accounts and GetMachineAccountSid’s name implies that the function returns the Security Identifier (SID) of the computer’s domain account.

I set a breakpoint on the return from the call to GetMachineAccountSid in the OpenLpcPort function and after a short pause consistent with the startup delays, the debugger’s command prompt activated. The x86 calling convention is for function return values to be passed in the EAX register so I examined its value:

After translating the value to decimal with the “?” command I searched for 1789 in the global error definitions file, WinError.h, of the Platform SDK:

I scoured MSDN documentation and the Web and found essentially no information on the underlying cause for that error code. However, the term “trusted relationship failure” implies that the domain the computer is connecting to doesn’t trust the domain of the computer. But under the circumstances the error didn’t make sense, because I was disconnected from the network and even if the computer was trying to connect a domain, the only one it would connect is the one it belonged to.

On a hunch, though, I opened a command prompt and ran PsGetSid to see what error it would get when trying to look up the computer’s domain SID (a computer’s domain account name is the computer name with a “$” appended to it):

Sure enough, it experienced the same delay, which must be a network timeout, and got the same error. Then I used remote access to connect to the domain and ran the command again:

Further, after connecting to the domain I no longer experienced the startup delays. I disconnected, but continued to have delay-free process launches, even after 30 seconds. After rebooting and not connecting, though, the delays reoccurred.

At that point I decided to investigate the internals of GetMachineAccountSid. The stack trace showed that it calls into the Netlogon DLL, which performs its own RPC to a function called NetrLogonGetTrustRid. I knew that the Netlogon service runs inside of the Local Security Authority Subsystem (LSASS):

I attached Windbg to LSASS and set a breakpoint on NetrLogonGetTrustRid. After launching a new process I hit the breakpoint and saw that if a particular field in a data structure is NULL, Netlogon tries to connect to a domain controller, but if the connection fails for any reason, it blindly returns error 1789. However, when I connected to the domain the call succeeded and the value in the data structure filled in with the SID of the computer account, which persists even after a disconnect. That explained the change in behavior after I connected to the domain.

Turning my attention back to GetMachineAccountSid, I found that it caches the results of an error for 30 seconds before asking NetLogon to attempt to connect to a domain controller again. That explained the 30 second quick-start periods. A look through the code flow in the debugger also revealed that OpenLpcPort queries the computer SID as part of a check to see if it matches the SID passed as one of its parameters. If so, OpenLpcPort changes the SID to the SID of the Local System account before calling NtSecureConnectPort, mapping the domain SID to a local one. NtSecureConnectPort takes a SID as a parameter and will only connect to the specified Local Procedure Call (LPC) port if the port was created by the account that matches the SID.

I’d answered a number of questions, but the big one remained: why was an RPC happening during a process launch at all? The initial stack trace only went up as far as the NegotiateTransferSyntax frame, but there were obviously other frames that the symbol engine couldn’t determine. The stack display went further when I had hit the breakpoint I set in OpenLpcPort, though:

Near the bottom you can see the call to ShellExecCmdLine that the CRunDlg class, which is responsible for the Run dialog implementation, calls. That eventually results in what looks like the execution of shell execute hook extensions, and the one that makes the RPC call is implemented by the MpShHook DLL. I didn’t know off hand what that DLL was, but Process Explorer’s DLL view showed that it’s part of Windows Defender:

I suspected that the hook is part of Windows Defender’s real-time protection, which the Windows Defender team confirmed. Autoruns reports that Windows Defender registers the shell execute hook:

The mystery was solved!  Putting it all together:

1. Explorer’s Run dialog calls ShellExecuteCmdLine
  2. ShellExecuteCmdLine calls out to shell execute hooks
  3. Windows Defender’s hook for real-time protection, MpShHook.Dll, calls RPC to communicate with the Windows Defender service, passing the SID of the service as an argument
  4. The RPC library calls GetMachineAccountSid to see if the SID matches the computer’s domain SID, in which case it would map the SID to the local system account SID
  5. GetMachineAccountSid performs an RPC to the Netlogon service to get the computer account’s SID
  6. If the computer account’s SID hasn’t been obtained already, Netlogon tries to connect to a domain controller
  7. If the domain controller connection fails after a timeout (the delay), Netlogon returns a trust-relationship failure error
  8. The Windows Defender RPC proceeds using the unmapped SID
  9. Windows Defender’s service performs real-time checks and then process launches

A little more research led me to conclude that the delay only happens under very specific circumstances where:

• The system is running Windows XP 64-bit for x64 or Windows Server 2003 SP1
  • Windows Defender Beta 2 is active
  • The system is domain joined, but has not connected to the domain in the current boot session

32-bit Windows XP doesn’t perform the SID mapping in OpenLpcPort and Windows Defender doesn’t use a shell execute hook on Windows Vista. The Windows Defender team is looking at workarounds for the next release, but now that I understand the delay I can work around it.

Mark now has a blog at and starts out with a typically…

Mark’s Blog: I’ve been extremely busy here at Microsoft and so haven’t had time to blog until now, but

I was in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago speaking at Microsoft’s TechEd/ITForum conference, where I delivered

原文 作者 Mark Russinovich 翻译 作者 盆盆 [ITECN站长] ITECN博客 盆盆 导读 本文由 Mark Russinovich

Я тут ранее упоминал про идентификацию проблем и оптимизацию загрузки Word’а

6. Tabernil says:

As usually great comments, but something’s missing, don’t know what 🙁

7. JVILLAGA says:

Every time I’ve had these kind of delays, I just shut off Defender and they go away.  Not quite as scientific, but there you go!

8. George Devore says:

Although I understood about 1% of that, it’s

good to have you back!!! Microsoft has a ‘new

foundation’ with you two guys there!!!

9. SSL says:

OT but, the links to https images on this blog sucks, Opera and Firefox doesnt have the certificate

10. Rich says:

When I encounter any strange problems like this, before doing any investigation, I do the following:

1) Remove any products from Symantec

2) Remove any anti virus or anti spyware products

3) Remove anything from Novell

I find I rarely get to step 3!

11. Stefan says:

nice article to read 🙂

12. Raphael says:

Another nice detective story.

Thanks Mark.

13. marvin says:

Great article.

A small comment on the blog itself though.

Why are all the images .aspx pages (rather than .gif, .jpg etc.)? It prevents my RSS/Atom -> Outlook converter from getting them ;-(

14. UL-Tomten says:

What’s that cmd.exe font?

15. aaron says:

Mark, I am frequently humbled by your blog posts.  I’m fairly good with Windows and I have a basic idea of what makes it work.  However, my knowledge doesn’t even compare to yours.  Keep up the good work.  MS is lucky to have you…whatever they are paying you, it isnt enough!

16. mike says:

More great Windows sleuthing, Mark.

17. D. says:

I am not worthy!

18. Roger Persson says:

Interesting research Mark! I’ve always suspected that Windows Defender does a whole lot of extra procedure calls, but I have more problems with our CM software, that does similar actions.

I think this was one of the most technical blogs I’ve read so far – and by far the most easy to follow…so keep up the good work.

Will follow this blog with interest from here on!

19. Patrick Ogenstad says:

Thanks for the great post! It got me to do a bit of investigative work on my own. I’ve seen this on a few of other blogs on Technet too.

The first think I see when I view this page (from Firefox) is popup with the title "Website Certified by an Unknown Authority". Why would it involve SSL was my first thought, it turns out that all the pictures in the post are linked by https instead of http.

So how come these images are protected by ssl. I have two theories.

a) It’s so people who are using Internet Explorer and are viewing the site isn’t bothered by the message "The page contains both secure and nonsecure items, do you want to display the nonsecure items?"

b) Mark was logged in to his blog authoring software through ssl and just copied the link to the image which in that state was an ssl link.

I’m favoring theory b, I don’t think that many people are viewing the site through ssl.

But the mystery itself, why do I get this popup? The certificate for chains to a Root CA called "GTE CyberTrust Global Root".

I open up the certificates in Firefox and it does indeed have a trusted root certificate for GTE CyberTrust Global Root. Strange indeed, so the chaining process is failing for some reason. The AIA information seems to be in order too.

Before I fire up Wireshark to see what’s happening I do a quick google search, and sure enough Larry beat me to it (
    over two years ago. It turns out that Firefox doesn’t follow the OID when doing certificate chaining.

At the end of Larry’s post he said "Now all someone has to do is to file bugs against Mozilla and OpenSSL to get them to fix their certificate validation logic" I guess nobody did, or they ignored it.

But I’m hoping Mark can verify if theory a or b was the correct one.

20. Drew says:

For looking up error codes, have you checked out DavidChr’s err.exe? It’s available on the intranet on that one server that I won’t name publicly that has all the tools. It’s also available on the internet downloadable from Microsoft, albeit probably in a slightly older version than the one posted internally. I use it about as frequently as I use SysInternals tools. That’s *often*. My only gripe is that it doesn’t include CLR exception codes yet.

21. JOKER says:

I thought, they would be using Linux there at Microsoft 😉 So they use Windows themselves…

22. Sean says:

Good point, well made, Jack!!!

The RMC delays on my PC are at best, annoying.

23. Liviu says:

But why does the hook need to pass the SID anyway?

24. Nikhil says:

Kudos, Mark with you to track down issues like this maybe Microsoft product quality can only go up 🙂

As far as the case of the certificate popup appearing in Firefox goes I saw Patricks comment and followed his trail to Larry’s blog entry (
    I went through the comments there and sure enough a bug was indeed filed in Bugzilla ( However, it seems there
    is some question regarding the RFC involved ( and its validity.

25. Marc Sherman says:

Mark, so NetrLogonGetTrustRid on the client side (PE in this case) performs RPC to a function of the *same* name in LSASS.exe? If so, is this just a convention used by NETLOGON when doing RPC? Or is this how RPC works in general? (eg. client side stub RPC’s to real function of the same name on server side).

26. justin says:

Great work, any opinion on this bug as it pertains to the state of windows in general? What I mean is how do you feel about all this code injection surface area that you guys expose in autoruns?

It has been bugging me more and more how windows has so many places code can be placed to startup with the system which seems to have led to the spyware epidemic and now the anti-spyware causing thier own problems.

My point is it seems the solutions are poor bandaids (good autruns fighting bad autoruns causing more running process and recource usage over all), when this stuff should be baked into the design so that 1. There is a consistent well known place for any startup code to be placed (perhaps services and startup folder only). 2. If a program trys to install anything there the user is warned explicity. 3. If the user wants to remove the startup they only need look in 2 places(1 would be ideal) and simply disable or delete startup they don’t like.

Now that definetly only helps part of the mainy issues involved in spyware, but its sorta like buffer overuns, autorunners are probably 90% of the problem, and windows defender is like trying to use some C library or code analyzer counter overruns when you should be making a new platform (.net) that inherintly doesnt have those issues.

Would nice to hear your perspective, as autoruns really brings it home when looking at all the obsucre places startup code can be placed and you guys made it.

27. tom says:

Does anyone else think it’s absolutely *insane* that launching Notepad should be this complex? Granted, when you pick it apart there may be a seemingly sane reason for each step, but when you step back and look at the big picture, the bottom line is that you can’t simply launch Notepad without domains, RPCs and SIDs getting involved! It amazes me that by the time all this irrelevant overhead has taken place the system even remembers to actually launch Notepad at all.

This is a perfect example of Microsoft’s tendency to hypercomplexify everything it creates, and one of the reasons I can’t stand them or their products. Unfortunately, I fear this is what will happen to the beautifully straightforward and simply functional Sysinternals tools.

28. Ed says:

Why has the old blog vanished? At least move the posts here…

29. Maurice says:

Excellent article, truly informative.  Thanks for the great tools and information.  Your knowledge has helped on countless occasions.

30. c0d3r says:

It can be a help to get notified when you are logged on with cached credentials. It’s a reminder that something is different about this session when problems present with consistency, but intermittently.

31. Jon Wold says:

Mark said:  "The initial stack trace only went up as far as the NegotiateTransferSyntax frame, but there were obviously other frames that the symbol engine couldn’t determine. The stack display went further when I had hit the breakpoint I set in OpenLpcPort"

On my windbg when the stack frames are all there for the walking (ie, nobody used EBP for their own scratchpad reg) then whacking the windbg stack backtrace More button will walk further w/o having to unwind the nested calls first.  Of course this was 64-bit Windows with which I’m far less familiar (what is that, rbp for amd64 / em64t ? or something completely unintelligible for Itanium …).

32. Brian Murphy-Booth says:

Just wanted add –

The only reason you didn’t see MpShHook.dll on the first callstack (before the breakpoint is set) is because WinDBG only shows the first 20 "frames" by default. If you click the "more" button shown in the upper right of your screen shot you’ll see more frames and would see the MpShHook. Breakpoints and registers sounds like more fun though! 😛

Power to the debugger!!

33. Ah, thanks. I never realized that was what the "more" button was for. I haven’t done much debugging where the stack was more than 20 frames deep or I needed to look up a stack that far.

34. Sebastian says:

I had the same delay problems, but i don’t have the windows defender installed. I removed the domain integration and everything runs fine now.

35. Adam Leinss says:

Good article, but I’m afraid that domain issues when the laptop is not connected are far too common with Windows.  We have a few sales guys that come in the office complaining about slow login times.  And indeed, login times can take 2 to 3 minutes when not on the domain.  Tried many suggestions on the Internet, but I just ended up having them hibernate the laptop to get around the slow login time.

I can even get it to the point where all the event logs are clean and pristine and the login time is still really long.  Mind you this only happens on a handful of laptops, not all of them.

36. Claus Valca says:

I love your articles! I’m learning so much! It’s nice to see you posting again.

I ran into a similar issue with XP Home locking up on my Dad’s pc as soon as he hit his desktop.

Using lessons (and your tools) I tracked the issue down to the wuauclt.exe process overloading his CPU.

I’ve got the troubleshooting experience blogged over at <a href="">Thawing an XP System</a>

Any chance you could take a look into this issue down the road? Or maybe you’ve run into it already.  I’m not on the elite level of process thread breakdown like you!

37. David Richter says:

I have learned from your web site zalot. A process context switch involves extracting that address requested from the Kernel Environment protection block and dumping it into the cr3 register of the cpu. The 1024 system file directories that form the mazin system file director has to page from the physcial and the linear. Address space laid out and a thread created. Hoevever, with explorer, the extra attention from the cpu, and subsytem environment only slow that loader that has read the Ds:DX header file so the app, or whater the process ( and relational dll) must have the DLL export the functions that the executable imported. Because of OLE 2, macro and stdin recordings, further user input may divert kernel code. Perhaps the symbolic files that represent the process for pdb info could load into the WinDbg. Changes in functionlity may also involve those cpu instensive sniffers, newtork traversal tools. Or it had an updated hotfix and the function signature differs and therefore does not respond to the API calling it. The, perhaps USER API calls the User32.dll, but is rerouted and packaged as an LPC and routed to the csrss.exe for processing ( before the overhead issue).

38. Jeff Gerard says:

I too have noticed this issue when not connected to the domain.  I am not using Defender here either and this is on XP Pro 32-bit.

I have never actually tried to pinpoint the problem because there are just too many things running related to A/V, VPN, etc, but as a general rule, at least in my situation, a reboot and login with cached credentials typically fixes it up for me.

This seems to happen more often when I’m logged into the domain at work, then hibernate, then power on and connect to my home network (from hibernate state).

Nice article though..easy to follow and understand.  I firmly believe Microsoft will only benefit by having your skills supporting them behind the scenes.

39. GOPI K says:

Nice article… but the problem is far to common. I don’t think there is currently a reliable way to determine DC connectivity for netlogon (or any of the components involved) to behave any differently.

I hope there is a non-intrusive fix to this. thoughts?

40. says:

Thank you Mark for this article, and any other you share with us too. Regards from Poland.

41. nobody4 says:

42. ddod says:

Intersting, your RSS link worked fine in Outlook 2007, that is until you moved your blog to Microsft servers.  When I try to add your new RSS feed outlook complains that it is invalid.

Otherwise, as always you insights are useful and instructive.

43. mpd says:

@ nobody

"Why does Windows Defender hook into ShellExecute to monitor starting processes, rather than CreateProcess?"

My guess is because ShellExecute opens files whether they’re executables, documents, or folders.  Defender sees more by hooking ShellExecute than CreateProcess.

44. Matt says:

I have seen this same process start delay on the Tablet PC edition of windows.  killing windows defender resolves the performance problem for me.

45. umm says:

i see the same thing on my laptop too

XP PRo 32, NOD32 and SpySweeper loaded.

when not on the DOMAIN, i need to delete any unconnected resources too.

I use batch files for that

46. John says:

Anyone got any idea why the RSS for this page isn’t recognised by Bloglines. I can’t get it to subscribe to this blog.

47. Dalton Williams says:

Great post!!!  The CEO of my company has called me at least once a week for his slow start up for two years!  He does not run Defender though.

Any chances of you running with this further and finding other causes in XP?

What about a patch to fix theis at some point?

Dalton Williams

EVP & CIO WestStar Bank

48. Zach says:

Just thought it was puzzeling that Micrsoft would let you join your personal laptop to their internal network, or maybe they don’t know. Nice post!  I think I’ll be reading your BLOG more often.

Take care,

49. Vipzen says:

another great post Mark!

hugs from Brazil

50. Muad_Dib says:

Great job, but :

– I use XP Pro 32 bits

– I’m not connected to any domain (standalone laptop)

– I don’t use Defender

and I frequently experience such long and boring delays when I start processes.

So, where is the problem ?

51. Ilia Barski says:

There is a very interesting task that only Mark could implement: to undercover a delays nature by Windows booting. I am afraid it would need a new early activating tool to bring a light splash on the boot scene

52. slemaire says:

The problem exists since a very long time, prior Windows Defender. I experienced it with Win NT 4 and Cygwin utilities few years ago. Some programs were performing pointless inits, which were causing long delay when disconnected from the domain.

53. Alexander Suhovey says:

Hmm, I wonder if everyone is comfortable with Mark revealing internal MS’s domain SID…

54. Alexander Suhovey says:

Drew, are you referring to Microsoft Exchange Server Error Code Look-up?

If yes, it’s v06.05.7226 (5/24/2004) so it’s probably an old version. Could you by chance ask somebody to update this download with latest version?

55. berry says:

I usually DON’T JOIN any CORPORATE Domain.

I’ll just login only to change password…

And everything runs fine

56. JoNathon says:

The workaround I have our laptop users use is, do not plug in your laptop / turn on wireless, until you see the login screen when not at work (connected to the domain).

57. ASB says:

Good work, Mark, and great explanation.

This accounts for one of the issues I have had recently.   However, as quite a few folks have noted here, there are issues that occur in 32-bit XP and 2003, (more so in XP), without the use of Defender, regardless of domain connectivity/status.

Looks like I’m going to have to do the work and uncover them, because they are annoying…

58. goz says:

we need and appreciate people like you

59. Anonyass says:

It’s no wonder we’ve got more cycles then ever before and we’re still waiting for our computers. Blooooaaaaat. What ever happened to K.I.S.S.? Don’t forget this all started to run a text editor! Geewiz.

60. Kevin Wright says:

I have a Thinkpad laptop with Windows 2000.  When I am connected to my employer’s network, then standby and go home, when I start working again I notice a long (30-60 second) delay for applications to start.

Recently I discovered that if I unmap all network drives when I am at home, then my applications start almost immediately.

Not sure if this is related to your problem.

61. Rob Shearman says:

FYI, the reason this only affects Windows 2003 and not Windows XP is to do with the RPC_SECURITY_QOS_V3 structure introduced with Windows 2003 that adds a Sid field:

62. S says:

If you fancy doing some more digging, I find that whenever compiling with Visual Studio 2003 it causes windows in other unrelated apps to just lock up – e.g. Outlook, Explorer, IE won’t repaint properly and appear to be hung. Sometimes, briefly, Explorer windows get the Visual Studio title. Deeply odd! The CPU isn’t maxed out by any means. Is there some sort of ‘global UI mutex’ that MS products use in some way that Visual Studio used badly?

63. Spencer Ferguson says:

Way to go, Mark!  This was a great read.

64. Funbit says:

Thanks for the great article! Too bad they appear very rarely though..

65. Phil Norris says:

It’s extremely interesting, educational & impressive for me (without programming background) to read how Mark gets to the bottom of the inner workings and shortcomings of Windows. I think Mark explains some complex points very effectively (even I understand a lot of it). A beginners guide to the basics, if there are any basics!, of the Windows kernel would be great from Marks perspective.

I hope working at Microsoft won’t stop Mark from discussing the bugs in these OS’s to the general public. Great articles, very dedicated.

66. JM_White says:

Broken Link for autorun

Link in blog aritcle:

Correct Link for autorun utility (as of 7.23.2007):

btw Thanks for all the Great SysInternals Utilities – I have Process Explorer set to startup all the time. I just wish there was a GUI shell that provide a mouse drive way to run all the PsTools cmd line utilities. Piping to text files all the time is a bit tedious..

67. French reader says:

Hi Mark!

I tried to reproduce your debugging steps on my own laptop, but I stumbled on a problem early on.

You said that you started by attaching Windbg to PROCESS EXPLORER and then you launched Notepad with PROCESS EXPLORER’s Run dialog.

If I attach Windbg to PROCESS EXPLORER, the PE window is frozen and I have no access to its file/run dialog.

On the other hand if I attach Windbg to WINDOWS EXPLORER, PE window is not frozen and I can open notepad from its file/run dialog.

Also the PID number (3460) which appears in you first Windbg’s Calls window picture makes me think that Windbg was attached to WINDOWS EXPLORER rather than to PROCESS EXPLORER.

Could you please confirm which process Windbg was attached to in your first debugging step?

68. HARISH says:

I faced the same delays in Windows XP. It takes 5-6 seconds to open any app from run dialog.

Does this explanation fits there too?