All of a sudden my Microsoft account (aka outlook.com) would not sync on my Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. I tried re-entering the password, creating an app password on Outlook.com, but no luck. I of course couldn’t delete it and re-add since it’s the main account on my phone.
Searching the web for the error yielded nothing useful, though I tried several suggestions like making the password shorter, etc. Finally the problem was resolved by this article which referenced a different error code. The suggestion that worked for me was to “Reset Email Sync”, which involves unselecting the “Email” option in the Microsoft account sync settings on the phone, syncing, then going back in and re-selecting “Email” in the sync options. I actually had to do this a couple of times for the fix to work.