Windows Phone Sync Error 80070057

All of a sudden my Microsoft account (aka outlook.com) would not sync on my Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. I tried re-entering the password, creating an app password on Outlook.com, but no luck. I of course couldn’t delete it and re-add since it’s the main account on my phone.

Searching the web for the error yielded nothing useful, though I tried several suggestions like making the password shorter, etc. Finally the problem was resolved by this article which referenced a different error code. The suggestion that worked for me was to “Reset Email Sync”, which involves unselecting the “Email” option in the Microsoft account sync settings on the phone, syncing, then going back in and re-selecting “Email” in the sync options. I actually had to do this a couple of times for the fix to work.

1. RCETTA says:

I am having the same issue on the same Nokia device. I’m finding a lot of solutions pertaining to Office 365 accounts and Windows Phone 8 but none pertaining to outlook.com. Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this.

2. kn says:

Same issue. What’s the deal Microsoft? So far, not a good experience with my first Windows phone. Not nearly as simple and easy to use as my iPhone. Glad the Windows phone is for work and not my personal phone.

3. Garry Trinder says:

Same issue,it doesn’t wanna download anything including whatsapp so I don’t know what to do pls assist me with this problem

4. saikrishna says:

hey even i was having the problem in my lumia. this is because of slow net. try this on wi fi to solve this problem. or a high speed internet!!

5. JohnK says:

I agree – the phone is a disaster. I cant pick up wifi on it, and it it won´t sync emails. I continually says that the phone isnt connected to the internet. I get this message Error 80070057 but no forums seem to have answers – just questions! I actually
    believe that phone technology and the number of people trying to acccess the web is WAY ABOVE the internet IP´s hardware capacity to cope with the massive demand. Until more money and equipment is added on the supply side, we users will continue to be frustrated
    with the P.poor performance from these phones and pads that we naively pay so much money for.

6. Devang says:

I am also facing this problem.. my all apps are updating except Candy crush.. i tried to update manually also.. still facing same issue.. tried to sync everything but nothing is helping

7. Freak#1 says:

I got the problem on my 635 from the first day

8. meerja mahadi hussain says:

Hi using Microsoft Windows 535 installing problem candy crash saga

9. Axle B says:

Same problem on my Lumia 920 with Candy Crush Update.

10. Sebastian says:

Hi. I got that error code when trying to download a game, I never had this problem before, someone please let me know what to do.

11. have the same problem … please help…

12. terry 08-26-15 says:

i have a lumia 635 same problem. onenote will not download error 80070057 , i will never ever buy a windows based phone again and im posting everywhere about how awful they are. microsoft could careless

13. giovannino says:

Meloni

14. VTRJasonM says:

My wife had the same problem after going back to her 920 from her 930 (Broken screen). To fix I had to untick Contacts under Email + Accounts options perform a sync then tick it again and all good.

Based on the original posters resolution saying to untick Email I am guessing it could be any of the four options (Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks) so you will just need to try each of them to find which one causes the problem.

15. luster says:

same problem on 1320

16. Siziphiwe Mkhize says:

My cellphone doesnot download anything like(whatsapp) it say "it need a microsoft account.plz help me!!!

17. RobinG says:

My Lumia 1020’s. Been working great for two years, but in the last 24 hours has thrown up two errors. One when trying to share a OneNote file (80070057) and the other installing the Ted app. (80073cf1). Also OneNote not syncing with OneDrive! Wi-Fi and
    data connection good, emails syncing fine on 3 accounts.

Ideas anyone?

18. sasanka sekhar khanra says:

I do not sign in all account my windows phone

19. Melusine Smythe says:

The same thing happened to me, several times, and the "Reset Email sync" worked fine. Unfortunately, I have had to do it every few months. No idea what the problem is, as the account works fine on my computer. It only acts up on the phone…

20. Madhukar says:

Why I see error code 800c0008 when I try to sign in microsoft account in my Lumia 625 kindly help me soon

21. Gabriel says:

Always having trouble with the sync thing. It tails me go to http://www.windowsphone.com error code 80070057. Help me deal with this Microsoft.