I knew that we were playing a major role in the digital delivery of the Sochi Winter Games with our Azure Media Services offering and powering the official site on Azure, but now that the games are over I learned more details.
The Sochi games had the largest-ever audience on an authenticated stream for any sporting event in history. More than 2.1 million people! We’re talking Youtube.com number here. As a matter of fact, Windows Weekly mentioned that previous Olympic events used YouTube as the streaming provider. I looked it up and it’s true. The London Olympics used YouTube. This is pretty huge in my eyes: we took streaming video business away from YouTube???!! Congratulations to our team that closed the deal and the team that delivered on the goods.
Some other highlights include
- 6,000 hours of HD streaming from Azure Media Services
- Streaming delivered to 5 broadcasters across 22 countries in 4 continents
- 204 Live Streaming Channels
- 100TB of storage allocated for effort
- 500 billion storage transactions
For my people attending #SPC14, the SharePoint and Dynamics products were used for infrastructure management, systems, information management and communications for the games. The system was nicknamed “Dynamics for Olympics” and managed
- 800k units of equipment
- 36k sq meters of warehouse space
- 1,200,000 liters of diesel fuel
- 18,500 truck deliveries over the last 3 months.
More details are available in the Microsoft Russia Olympics Press Release.