In this blog, I will provide the step-by-step instructions to discover Oracle, MySQL, Sybase on Unix and Linux machines.
- An overview of the MAP Toolkit: http://microsoft.com/map
- The Getting Started Guide: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/F/46F45C42-D679-404E-9812-6053DD59A0D2/Getting_Started_Guide.en.doc
- Training Guide: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/F/46F45C42-D679-404E-9812-6053DD59A0D2/MAP_Training_Kit.zip
Download the latest version of the MAP Toolkit from here! The latest version is the MAP Toolkit 6.5 that was released in December 2011.
The steps to discover Oracle, MySQL, or Sybase on UNIX/Linux machines…
1. After launching the MAP Toolkit, you are prompted to create a new database. Enter a name for the database and click Ok.
2. On the Data Collection page, click the “Go” button next to the “Perform an Inventory” step to launch the Inventory Wizard. Click Next to continue.
3. On the Inventory Scenario dialog of the Inventory Wizard, select Linux/UNIX computers option. This options will discover Oracle, MySQL, and Sybase on Linux and UNIX machines. If you would like to obtain more details about Oracle, MySQL, and Sybase, select the “MySQL, Oracle, Sybase” option. Note: If you want to obtain more details option, you need to installed the Oracle client on the machine where the MAP Toolkit is running from.
4. On the Discovery Methods dialog of the Inventory Wizard, select how you would like to discover the Linux/Unix machines. Generally to discover, Linux/Unix you will select scan an IP range or manually specify a list of machines. I will select “Manually enter computer names and credentials.”
5. On the All Computer Credentials dialog, click on the Create button.
6. On the Account Entry dialog, enter the credentials to connect to the machines and then click “Save”.
7. On the All Computers Credentials dialog, click Next to continue after all of the required credentials are added.
8. On the Enter Computers Manually dialog, click Create to display the “Specify Computers and Credentials” dialog.
9. On the Specify Computers and Credentials dialog, enter the machines to inventory, choose “Use All Computers credentials list” option and then click “Save”
10. On the Enter Computers dialog, click Next to continue when all of the computers are been added.
11. On the Connection Properties” dialog enter the TCP Port that MAP Toolkit should connect to and then click Next to continue.
12. On the Summary dialog, click Next to start the inventory process.
After the inventory process has completed, you can review the results with the MAP Toolkit console and through the available reports.
View results in the MAP Toolkit
To view the results in the MAP Toolkit, click on the Database | Oracle node in the left navigation. The results will display as shown below.
1. After you select the summary results, click on the Generate report/proposal link. When you select this option, the SqlMigrationDiscovery and SQLMigrationProposal reports will be generate.
2. To view the generated reports, click on View | Saved Reports and Proposals.