In this fourth part of the series we will install, configure, and integrate WDS to SCVMM.
Use a copy of the template disk we created in the first post of the series and create a new VM called WDS, change the name and join it to your domain.
In server Manager go to Add roles and features:
- Select Windows Deployment Services.
- Accept the features required.
- Proceed with the install.
Now let’s go back to DC01 to setup DHCP:
- Open the DHCP form Tools in Server Manager.
- Go to IPv4, select your Internal Lan scope and Scope Options.
- Right click and Configure Options:
- Select option 43 and set it to: 01 04 00 00 00 00 FF.
- Option 66 and set it to your WDS Server name or IP: WDS.CloudMP.com
- Option 67 and set it to: boot\x86\wdsnbp.com
- It should look like this:
Now let’s go back to our WDS server and complete the setup:
- Open Windows Deployment Services from tools in the Server manager.
- Expand server in the left pane, right click in your server name and select Configure Server.
- Click Next.
- Select Standalone Server, click Next.
- Leave the default in the folder value and click Next.
- Leave the option for Do no respond to any client computers, this will be handled with SCVMM, click Next.
- Uncheck the box to add Images now and finish the setup.
- Add your SCadmin account to the local administrators.
Now we are ready for the integration:
- Go to your SCVMM Server and open your SCVMM Console.
- Go to Fabric –> Infrastructure –> PXE Servers.
- Right click and add PXE Server.
- In computer name put your WDS server name.
- Use an existing Run As Account and click browse.
- Create a new runas account for the SCadmin user.
- Click ok and add,
- Check the jobs to check the integration with WDS.
Note: Remember SCVMM uses RunAs Accounts which require CredSSP to run as expected, if you have this disabled by a policy for some reason, you will not be able to use RunAs Accounts.
In the next post we will add a VHDX and deploy to our cluster nodes from baremetal.