With CRM 2016 comes the new CRM App for Outlook (lightweight app)
Microsoft Dynamics CRM App for Outlook is a lightweight app you can use to view Microsoft Dynamics CRM information and track email from within Outlook. The CRM data appears right in your Outlook Inbox.
You can use Dynamics CRM App for Outlook on:
- Desktop computers running Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, Outlook on the web, or Microsoft Outlook for Mac
- Windows Phone, Apple iPhone, and Android phones when using Outlook on the web
Dynamics CRM App for Outlook is not the same thing as Dynamics CRM for Outlook.
Dynamics CRM for Outlook (sometimes called the “Outlook client”) is a full-featured add-in for the desktop version of Microsoft Outlook. With Dynamics CRM for Outlook, you can do all your CRM work within the familiar Outlook interface. You can even work offline. Dynamics CRM App for Outlook, on the other hand, is a lightweight app that enables you to easily track email wherever you are and preview CRM information.
The following table contrasts Dynamics CRM App for Outlook with Dynamics CRM for Outlook (Add-In):
> Update December 10th, 2015
Dynamics CRM Online users can easily add the app to their Outlook directly from within Dynamics CRM Online.
- Simply click on the gear icon and choose "Apps for Dynamics CRM".
- Then choose "Add app to Outlook" under the CRM App for Outlook heading.The app will show up in the user’s Outlook interface when reading or composing emails anywhere they use Outlook.
Dynamics CRM Online administrators also have the ability to push the app to user’s Outlook interfaces through the newly added "CRM App for Outlook" settings page. To do this,
- simply navigate to Settings > CRM App for Outlook and
- click on the Add App for All Eligible Users button.Optionally, you can select individual users from the grid to add the app on an individual level. Use the auto-add feature to ensure all newly added eligible users automatically get the app added to their Outlook.
Note: The CRM App for Outlook is rolling out over the next few weeks to CRM Online organizations independently from the CRM 2016 release. If you don’t see the above options, your organization hasn’t yet received the feature
Keep in mind that for both cases, in order for users to be eligible to get the app, they will need to have
- their Exchange mailbox configured with Server-Side Synchronization for incoming emails
- the Use CRM App for Outlook user role privilege.