Comparison of the new CRM Online 2013 subscriptions

Monday July 8th Microsoft announced that the upcoming CRM Online 2013 subcriptions will come in three flavors

• Professional For the core CRM users, who need the full capabilities of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online including sales force automation as well as marketing and customer care.
  • Basic For sales, service and marketing users who need to manage accounts, contacts, leads, cases and access custom applications as well as for business analysts who require reporting capabilities.
  • Essential For light-weight users who need to access custom applications developed in house or by our vast network of partners.
    x

Since you’ll be able to mix and match these subscriptions between your users, the flexibility will enable you to consume just the right subscriptions for the right users, at the right price.

The high-level comparison of user capabilities per subscription would look like this

To help you decide which subscriptions will fit which user profiles I’ve laid out how I would assume the Use Rights for the CRM entities and features will be distributed between these three subscriptions in the table below. Please note that the table represents my personal assumptions. Nothing is certain untill the general release.

About the Use Rights color coding:

Green = Full

Orange = For actions performed only against records corresponding to entities included in the use rights

Red = No

See also (requires access to PartnerSource)

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 On-Premises Licensing Quick Reference Guide – link
  • Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online Licensing Quick Reference Guide – link
  • License types in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online – link

Disclaimer

“Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013” is a pre-release product under development. The information in this blog post represents my personal understanding and expectations as of the date of this blog post. All pre-release product release dates and features specified are preliminary based on current expectations, and are subject to change without notice.

For Opportunities you need Professional, as I understand it

2. hassan sayed issa20014 says:

As I understand it, a user licensed on either Basic or Essential will be able to create these records.

4. Joe says:

To clarify, would one with a Basic License be able to create records in a Custom Entity (permission to Write records does not always imply permission to Create them)?

Looks as though there may be some useful middle ground for "light" users to balance out the increased licensing costs while adding functionality for Sales and Administrative users.

5. Richard says:

Does being Green on "Case Management" mean Basic user will be allowed to Create cases?

6. Sharjeel says:

I'm assuming Sales Automation includes Opportunities (create, read, write, track). However, when the second table display Red for Opportunity tracking on Basic and Essential, does that mean that they can create, read, and write? Or are they stripped from all Opportunity related tasks?

7. JES says:

Looks like the full read access disappears for the Basic user – Is that correct? Further what does Read and Write custom application data mean?

8. Jacob Mondrup says:

Hej,

Meget fin oversigt. Er der en officielt oversigt. Du nævne dette er dit personlige gæt.

Kravet om at man skal købe mindst 5 licenser, er vist ikke til at komme uden om rent praktisk? Hvis man skal kunne tilrette systemet, hvilket selv en 1-users installation for det meste ønsker, skal man have den fulde klient, og den sælges kun som minimum af 5?

MVH, J.

9. CRM consultant says:

Hi,

If a user needs to be able to create opportunity records, does that mean that he needs a professional license? Tx.

A basic one will not be sufficient?

10. ML49448 says:

Basically, if a user accesses or writes a standard entity, he needs at least basic CAL.

This is a Major and very bad Change compared to the 2011 Version licensing.

However, one Thing improved: direct UI Access is now allowed.

In 2011 you had the right to read and write Standard entities but you were only allowed to Access indirectly (API), which made it necessary to build a Portal in most cases.

I am commenting on Premise licensing.

Since my blog post " Comparison of the new CRM Online 2013 subscriptions " (written early July

As a limited time offer (expiring March 31, 2014) subscribed customers to Office 365 E3 and E4 plans

For our Microsoft Dynamics partners we have just released the guides and training presentations for CRM

15. Alex GM says:

I’m working on a CRM project for a client setting up some customisations and reworking their processes, and when I got to setting up some new custom security roles, the subject came up as to the number of licences they had, and it turns out they have quite a few more active users tan purchased licenses.

How can this be?? Does CRM 2013 on-premise not check the number of licenced CALs against the number of end users?

Also many of their licences were of the Essential type, but they had access to areas they theoretically should not be able to access (access levels explained here: http://www.forceworks.com/cost-dynamics-crm-2013-go ), such as creating Oportunities, creating Leads, converting Leads to Oportunities, etc. I had to try this myself with an Essential user, and I can confirm this is so.

I’m quite confused by MS’s licencing model for CRM.

Can someone from MS explain what is going on?

16. Bill Winder says:

Does the basic licence provide read only access to opportunities? The following web site says it does:

However I can’t find confirmation of this on any Microsoft site.

Not that I’m counting but I just realized one of my blog posts actually is closing in on 100k views