With Windows Azure AD Rights Management, you can protect your data by encrypting and managing access rights, including Office documents, Exchange email, and SharePoint document libraries across your Office 365 Enterprise Preview services and applications.
The technology is highly integrated into Office 2013 Preview, Exchange Online Preview, and SharePoint Online Preview, and offers a seamless experience for both end users and administrators in document authoring, email, and SharePoint publishing.
- Office IRM Integration – Rights Management enables Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 Preview and Microsoft Office 2010 users to be able to IRM protect content using predefined policies provided by the service within a company. Office applications that include these capabilities are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and InfoPath.
- Exchange Online Preview IRM Integration – Rights Management enables users of Microsoft Exchange Online Preview to IRM protect and consume email messages in Outlook Web Access (OWA) and consume IRM protected messages via Exchange Active Sync for devices that have implemented IRM support including Windows Phone 7. Exchange administrators can enable additional features, such as Outlook protection rules as well as transport rules for protection and decryption, to ensure content is not inadvertently leaked outside of the organizational boundary and edit the content of the message to include disclaimers.
- SharePoint Online Preview IRM Integration – Rights Management enables Microsoft SharePoint Online Preview administrators to create IRM protected document libraries so that when a user checks-out a document from the IRM document library, IRM is applied to the document and the user has the rights to that document as they were specified for the document library by the administrator.
All you have to do to get started is:
- Enable Windows Azure AD Rights Management for your organization (download a module for Windows Powershell and run a couple of commands)
- Configure Office 2013 Preview for Windows Azure AD Rights Management (run a registry update command on your Office 2013 machines)
- Start using the IRM functionality (from the File/Protect Document menu)
Read all the details in this blog post “Enabling Windows Azure AD Rights Management in Office 365 Enterprise Preview” from the AD RMS Team Blog.
- What’s New with Information Rights Management in SharePoint and SharePoint Online? – link (published 11/9/2012 )