New Lync app for Windows 8.1 now available

Many of you have installed the Windows update and are enjoying the new, cool features of Windows including a new Skype app.  If you haven’t upgraded yet, you now have another great reason – the new update to Lync is available today and only for Windows 8.1. We kept a close eye on your reviews and comments in the Windows Store as well as other channels of feedback.  Based on your feedback, we made a number of improvements in this update that we think you’ll like. Here’s an overview of what’s new:

Take control of shared screens or apps    During a Lync Meeting with app sharing or screen sharing, take control of the sharing started by someone else in the meeting.

Take control of app and screen sharing

Run Lync side-by-side with another app at any window size     Use apps side-by-side when you need to reference another app or website while using Lync. You aren’t limited to the old 320 pixel snapped size; you can make the Lync window any size you want.

Lync side-by-side with Excel

Answer audio and video calls on the lock screen     Answer audio and video calls quickly when your device is locked, without having to unlock it.

Answer calls on lock screen

Mute and Control Call Volume from inside Lync     Mute the speakers or control the volume of your call from the conversation window without affecting your Windows speaker volume.

Mute or control the volume of your conversation

In-app contact search     Find your contacts faster, with a simple, in-app contact search.

In-app search

Sign in reliably    This update includes a number of improvements to the sign in experience so that you can more easily connect and stay connected.

To learn more about all that the app can do, look through our online Help topics.

To download the update, you need to first upgrade your device to Windows 8.1.  Once you have Windows 8.1, Lync will upgrade automatically within 24 hours unless you have turned off Automatically update my apps in Windows Store. To get the update sooner,
search for  Lync and click Install.

We are proud to bring you this new version of Lync, and are excited to continue adding features, improve performance and make the app better. Please leave us feedback and give us a new or updated rating in the Windows Store, or leave feedback in the blog comments so  that we know what you would like to see in future updates.

Have fun using Lync!

I would love to try that out and hopefully that would work fine because I’m afraid that it could just give me headache after upgrading. I need more encouragement for that.

2. New Lync app for Windows 8.1 now available

3. David says:

Still no lobby controls for organizers?

4. ali says:

Still using desktop version, which is far more rich in feature.

5. Chris Lynch says:

One of the big features I would LOVE to see in the Metro app (and one that keeps me from using it) is integration with Outlook on the desktop.  IF the Lync Metro client could integrate with Outlook, then I wouldn't use the desktop client.  But, with Metro app and desktop app restrictions, I don't think that will be possible.

6. Steve says:

How can I side load this through SCCM?  Is there a manual download of the app package available?

7. Rico Alexander says:

Finally it can actually connect to a server!

Thank you!

8. Shaggy says:

works this version/features with W8.1 RT as well?

9. kasper says:

Can I use tis client version on a Lync 2010 Server?

10. Brandon says:

Really wish I could get this thing connected to an OCS server… ability to specify server addresses would go a LONG way, guys! Please get this in a future release, I'd love to use my Surface RT at work!

11. Ahmar says:

can you please add App sharing or Screen sharing to the Lync modern style app?

this is the only feature that's stopping me from moving completely to modern environment.

12. Brian says:

@Shaggy – Yes, it works fine with Windows 8.1 RT as well.

@David – We're aware of the lobby controls… stay tuned.

@Kasper – Yes, it will connect to Lync 2010 Server.

@Rico – Sure. Reliable sign-in is one of our top priorities to the app. If you can't sign in, then more features doesn't really help.

@Ahmar, Chris, Brandon – Thanks for the feedback and using Lync Modern. We'll see what we can do.

13. windows8migration says:

Great to hear that Lync is available for Windows 8.1

14. LyncDave says:

Our premise FE pool is in a different domain than our SIP domain.  Prior to this update we couldn't sign in to Lync on the internal network because the app never popped up the cert trust dialog.  This version now makes that dialog available at sign-in and we can finally use the app!

15. Mark says:

Great improvements keep them coming. when is video going to be enabled from Skype to a Lync user?

I dette nummer af Essens sætter vi fokus på forretningsapps til Windows 8.1 pc’er, tablets og smartphones, som kan styrke præsentation, kommunikation og samarbejde i din virksomhed i det nye år. Apps’ene er især

17. jesse says:

I find this still doesn’t work for Window 8.1 & Office365. ‘We can’t sign you in because the server cannot be reached, or the server version is incompatible with Lync’. Have followed Lync troubleshooting to no avail.

18. Logan says:

It’s really frustrating that I can only see others screens with the Lync app. When am I going to be able to share my screen with this? Today, the best I can do is get the Lync app up and running, and then start a session to share my screen, which seems stupid.

Pingback from New Lync app for Windows 8.1 lets you take control of shared screen, brings other improvements | The Fire Hose

20. Krishna says:

my desktop sharing icon is inactive in lync 2013 and my OS is win 8.1, so what should i do now?
    are there any system pre required softwares?

21. Terry Haber ( says:

Is there a setting that I have to change to get my display enabled? Currently, I cannot share my desktop with others.

22. Peter says:

how disable server compatibility checking in ModernUi version of Lync ?

23. Peter says:

how disable server compatibility checking in ModernUi version of Lync ?

24. Peter says:

how disable server compatibility checking in ModernUi version of Lync ?

25. Mia M says:

How do you share your desktop in lync?

26. Steve says:

Lync App in windows 8 is big and clumsy. I have used win 7 version and have quick access and open movement from chats and open programs without changing screen mode. The new app version is ok but the limitations on screen and sizing it on the desktop are
    a total miss. Lync is a part of the work in a management role while looking at project plans or status. there should be an option to use the old style client in win 8.

27. Hems says:

Hi guys, I am an enterprise user and do have win8.1 OS (company image) in my laptop, I want to have installable for lync2013 client, can someone suggest from where I can found the same to install