Why is Lync 2013 Mobile asking me to use Lync 2010?

By Jason Lewis, Program Manager, Lync Mobile Team

We have been seeing some feedback asking “Why is Lync 2013 Mobile asking me to use Lync 2010?”  The short answer is your Lync Server does not support Lync 2013 Mobile apps, you will need to continue using the Lync 2010 Mobile app.

The long answer is…

Lync 2013 Mobile relies on Unified Communication Web API (UCWA) that comes with February 2013 Cumulative Update for Lync Server 2013 or later, which Lync Server 2010 does not provide.   If you are connecting to a Lync 2010 or Lync 2013 RTM Server you will see the message ”You can’t sign in with this version of Lync. Please install Lync 2010”.  On the other side, Lync 2010 Mobile relies on Lync Mobility Service (MCX) which is included on Lync 2010 and Lync 2013 Servers.  This allows Lync 2010 Mobile users to sign into either version of Lync Server.

Another common question is why can I sign into Lync 2013 for Windows 8 app but not the mobile app.  The answer is that the Lync 2013 for Windows 8 app is not built on UCWA and thus does not have the February Cumulative Update for Lync Server 2013 requirement.

We're using Office 365 and I can't connect using mobile so I guess we haven't updated to CU1. With 365 is there a way to know what version is being run in the cloud?

@Ryan – this is most likely a configuration issue, make sure you have CU1 installed.  Enable logging on the mobile device and attempt to sign in again.  This should help isolate the issue.  I would recommend reaching out to our Lync Mobile forums (social.technet.microsoft.com/…/threads) if you have more specific questions.

@Reine – You must have Lync 2013 CU1 installed.  For more specific questions please use the forum link above.

Thank you for posting this. My boss's boss pinged me about the Lync 2013 client for the ipad this morning. I was able to quickly tell him it isn't supported and used this blog post as my reference.

Hi,

We have a Lync 2010 Edge; Lync 2010 FE and Lync 2013 FE; we have some test users on Lync 2013 FE and noticed that the Lync 2010 mobility client from outside our network errors with “can’t connect to server; it may be busy or unavailable”.

Internally mobility works ok and all the Lync 2010 FE clients work inside and outside; do I require a Lync 2013 Edge?  ANy help much appreciated.

@Dave – Due to the mobility architecture change in Lync 2013 Server we were unable to support both Lync 2013 and Lync 2010 Servers with the Lync 2013 Mobile apps.  The Lync 2010 Mobile apps will remain available to those who are running Lync 2010 Servers.  If you have to connect to both environments you can move back and forth between the two mobile versions or only use the Lync 2010 mobile app as it will sign into both Server versions.

@Shawn – Lync 2013 for Windows Phone is available only on Window Phone 8 platform as we have dependencies on some APIs that are only available on WP8.

I just downloaded Lync 2013 for Android (running 4.2.2) and had no trouble connecting to our Office 365 tenant.  We're still on the v14 tenant.

7. hassan sayed issa20014 says:

8. Dave says:

With the various App stores, office 360, and legacy clients out there. Can we expect the future clients to be backwards compatible? It gets very confusing especially for consultants who may need to access their companies Lync infrastructure as well as a clients if they are acting on their behalf with client credentials and contact info. Going back and forth between organizations at different releases can be annoying.

9. Shawn Harry says:

Will there be any support for Lync 2013 Mobile on WP 7.5/8 ?

10. A customer says:

Jason, you should try working for an IT shop that needs to deal with users.  Thanks for causing a whole pile of work for us.  Try making these things backwards compatible in the future….  No wonder people choose iphones over MSFT products.

11. ryan says:

I am in the middle of moving from 2010 to 2013. I have my 2013 server up and running and have moved a test user over to it. Should I be able to connect to the 2013 server with the 2013 iphone app? I can connect to the 2013 server with the 2010 app but when I try the new 2013 app it says "Can't connect to the server. It may be busy or temporarily unavailable" Any ideas?

12. Reine says:

And if we run Lync 2013 but it still don't work? Got this …"use Lync 2010" anyway. Must I install some update?

13. Jorge Segarra says:

14. John says:

Try Damaka Xavy it is compatible with OCS,Lync 2010,Lync 2013 and for Office 365 XavyCloud. It is available in Appstore and Google playstore for free !

15. LS says:

The Lync 2013 app works great.

However, iPhone to iPhone video calls do not connect. iPhone to Desktop works fine.

Anyone else had this issue?

16. Marc Kean says:

Jason, how do we know what version of Exchange, Lync and SharePoint is running in the backend of Office 365. All that is marketed by Microsoft is Office 365. With the above requirement I have two customers on Office 365, one in Australia through Telstra, the other direct with Microsoft in Singapore. Both are on the E plans. One can sign in to Office 365 Lync with the new Lync 2013 mobile apps, the other cannot.

17. Benoit Pasteau says:

I'm facing the same issue @Marc Kean w/ Office365 E3 Plan

Some of my user can connect using Lync 2013 for iPad some can't

18. Robert B says:

I have the same question as  @Marc Kean. Our organisation in Australia is using Lync as part of Office 365 for Education. Lync 2013 mobile clients are being told the server version is not compatible. Lync Office 2013 clients are not able to sign-in due to DNS issues – we're using dir sync and ADFS. Lync 2010 clients operate without issue. We're trying to establish whether the Office 365 Server version is 2010 or 2013, or whether we need to modify the configuration of our DNS records or firewall ports to cater for something different in Lync 2013.

19. DJ says:

We are on O365 E as well and cannot use Lync 2013 as others report.  So MS puts out a mobile app that their own internal hosted services don't support?  Really?

20. greg says:

Jason – you really ought to answer the several folks that have posted, very clearly, stating that they only use Office 365 and yet cannot use Lync 2013 for iOS (because on login, it states you cannot connect with this version, use Lync 2010).

I have the exact same problem. If it is a bug, say so. It's ok. If it is not a bug, help us! Either way: please, help.

21. Dan V says:

I have 300 users connecting to Lync online. It's ridiculous that we cannot leverage Lync 2013 and are forced to use 2010 simply because Microsoft is unable to upgrade their servers.

22. Dan V says:

And tonight 2013 started working on iPad and iPhone. Thank you Microsoft.

23. Ashish D says:

I am using windows phone 8 nokia Lumai 620 but i am not able to configure my office communicator/lync 2010 on the phone (I am using lync 2010 in my office laptop), my friends using Androd based phone and they are able to using the communicator… HP system.

24. Chase Abbott says:

Hrrm.  I actually did get this to work with a 2010 Edge server hosting external traffic to a 2010/2013 Enterprise deployment.  We had users split between 2010 and 2013 and mobility worked perfectly for each user.

1. 2010 Edge still pointed to the 2010 pool

2. We created a separate Lync web service location in public DNS for the 2013 pools which seemed to allow the 2010 infrastructure to redirect to the new web service location.

3.  We use a F5 Edge module for our reverse proxy for each 2010 & 2013 web service location which resolve to an internal virtual IP on our F5 LTM.

4.  There was a powershell command to allow 2013 client to use legacy settings which did resolve any connectivity issues and for the life of me I cannot find it.

As it stands currently, we had a seamless migration for users from 2010 to 2013 and still use only 2010 edge server and there have been no adverse affects for us.  We use all 2013 mobile clients with no issues (save is some creepy device doesn't have the Entrust cert chain for our public certs).

Key items:  CU1 for Lync 2013, and latest CU for Lync 2010.

25. colin says:

In reply to John (16 March) and to save anyone else the time, Damaka Xavy is not free it is £39.99 on the app store.

26. Rosh shan says:

I could login to lync 2010 fine, from iphone4. But when I downloaded lync 2013, can’t login to both now. It says server address incorrect. Can some one help on high priority pls. Thanks!

27. Ezra says:

Why do you say to use 2010 but dont have it available to install from Google play? kind of defeats the purpose dont ya think? fuckn bullshit

28. Liliana says:

A PC with Lync 2010 client can communicate with Lync Server 2013? if so, loses some functionality Lync?

29. Bertie H says:

@Rosh shan – please hold your breath mate

30. show box says:

Thanks for the great info. I really loved this. I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    For more info on showbox please refer below sites:
    Latest version of Showbox App download for all android smart phones and tablets.
    http://movieboxappdownloads.com/ – It’s just 2 MB file you can easily get it on your android device without much trouble. Showbox app was well designed application for android to watch movies and TV shows, Cartoons and many more such things on your smartphone.
    For showbox on iOS (iPhone/iPad), please read below articles:
    Showbox for PC articles:
    There are countless for PC clients as it is essentially easy to understand, simple to introduce, gives continuous administration, effectively reasonable. it is accessible at completely free of expense i.e., there will be no establishment charges and after establishment
    it doesn’t charge cash for watching films and recordings.
    http://www.showboxforipad.org/showbox-apk/ Not simply watching, it likewise offers alternative to download recordings and motion pictures. The accompanying are the strides that are to be taken after to introduce Showbox application on Android. The above
    all else thing to be done is, go to the Security Settings on your Android telephone, Scroll down and tap on ‘Obscure sources’.
    Movie Box, an esteemed movies application in which you can find stacks of programs and films. The guide is given here to download Movie Box app to Android and to Apple iOS 9.0.2, iOS 8.4/8.3 and also for the lower versions without Jailbreak.
    Please do login to Showbox application with the help of Ymail. You can login in Ymail from here –
    Sign Up & Do registration for latest movies on Showbox application