Windows Server Virtualization Scenarios and Features — Jeff Woolsey, Chris Corio
Scenarios and features used to define Windows virtualization. An in depth look at the server consolidation, business continuity, development and test, and dynamic datacenter scenarios.
· Core Windows Server virtualization scenarios
· Production Server Consolidation
· Business Continuity Management. Dynamic Datacenter
· Test and Development
· Server Consolidation Features
· Business Continuity Features
· Dynamic Data center / Test and Development
Kernel Enhancements For Windows Server Longhorn — Mike Tricker
Modern server architectures scale between a large array of form factors. These include high-end scale-up partitionable designs and scale-out aggregatable designs. Windows Server Longhorn is at home on each of these, allowing the hardware to be fully used for a wide range of workloads. This session highlights key kernel and other operating systems features that are planned for Windows Server Longhorn to achieve new levels of server scalability and reliability.
· Moving To 64-bit Only
· Kernel Driver Signing. PatchGuard and The Hal.
· The New Boot Environment. Native PCI Express Support
· Dynamic Partitioning and the Memory Manager
· Transactional Registry: Virtualization and Filtering
· Windows Service Hardening. Hardware Watchdog and Other Technologies.
· ISR And DPC Redirection. 64 Logical Threads.
Enterprise and Server Use of Microsoft BitLockerTM Drive Encryption — Stephen Heil, Xian Ke
Build branch office servers that can support BitLocker. This session focuses on enterprise usage of BitLocker and includes a discussion of server-specific scenarios and enhancements like support for multiple data volumes. It also discusses key management and recovery issues and includes a detailed look at the remote install, setup and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) interfaces that facilitate BitLocker deployment and support in managed information technology (IT) environments.
· Information Loss is Costly. Branch Office Challenges
· BitLockerTM And TPM Features. Protection Scenarios
· Protection For Data Volumes. BitLockerTM Management Scenarios
· BitLockerTM Status Indicators. Key Protectors and Management Features. TPM Group Policy
· Enterprise Backup and Recovery
Hybrid Hard Disk and ReadyDriveTM Technology — Ruston Panabaker
This session demonstrates hybrid hard disk drives (H-HDD) power savings, boot, resume, and application acceleration in mobile PC solutions that use Windows Vista. It covers policy setting and configuration in Windows Vista and provides an in-depth analysis of the H-HDD performance gains when using Superfetch policies to define contents of the NV Cache.
· Mobile HDD, Windows PC Accelerators and H-HDDTechnology.
· Windows ReadyDriveTM. Hybrid Hard Disk Boot And Resume.
· Hybrid vs Standard Hard Disk Performance Comparisions.
· What Is A Hybrid Hard Disk (H-HDD)?
· Power Saving and Power Policies.
· Increased Ruggedness And Reliability. OEM Pinning For Faster Application Launch
· System Design for ReadyDriveTM. H-HDD Considerations, NV Cache Size and Performance.
Audio and Video Device Guidelines for the Microsoft Real-Time Communication Platforms — Regis Crinon
Recommendations to device and systems manufacturers and includes a demonstration of the new Real Time Media Communication platform and the new real time Audio/Video experiences it enables.
· The Real Time Media Communication Revolution.
· The Road to Higher Quality: Codecs and the Capture Pipeline
· he Emergence of an RTC Audio/ Video Device Market
· Initial Set of Guidelines: Audio. Refernec Dummy. Video
· Towards Greater Integration. Headset systems, Bluetooth
· Demo: Headset System used with Windows Live Messenger.
· Demo VGA Camera with Office Communicator 2007
Windows Server Platform Directions — Sean McGrane
A discussion of the key aspects that are planned for Windows Server Longhorn and beyond, including scalability through multiple-core processor technology, improved reliability by using improved hardware error handling, and server consolidation to improve server usage by using technologies like virtualization. Microsoft’s key hardware-related directions and view on server platform design trends.
· Longhorn Server Core Architecture
· Processor Trends. Windows 64 Processor Limit
· Today’s Scale-Up Server and Multi-Core Effect On Form Factor
· Performance Utilization With Multi-Core.
· Server Consolidation and Windows Server Virtualization
· Reliability/Availability Roadmap.
· Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA)
· Dynamic Hardware Partitioning. Future Hot Replace Scenario
· Branch Office Security. Boot Path Protection. BitLocker Overview
Previously published WinHec 2006 sessions include:
Keynote: Advancing the Platform – Bill Gates
Keynote: Windows Vista – Will Pool
Keynote: Infrastructure for the People Ready Business – Bob Muglia
Windows Vista Performance Technologies – Gabriel Aul
Windows Vista System Requirements – Richard G. Russell
Power Management In Windows Vista – Pat Stemen
HD DVD and Windows Vista: Futures and Opportunities – Jordi Ribas
IT’s Showtime! by TechNet is a video on demand service featuring highly rated presentations from top Microsoft IT Pro events. If you would like to keep up to date about content in Its Showtime by TechNet, you may also use the RSS feeds available on the site.