Alerting on SNMP traps in SCOM – Without discovering the SNMP Device

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Cyraz says:

I don’t have a SCOM environment with SNMP devices at hand right now, but I have an obvious question : is there anything preventing us to create regular snmp poll rules and monitors against the devices discovered using this method, thus bypassing the need for the native network discovery rules?
    Moreover, would it be possible to discover “certified” network devices with this method?

Reason why I’m asking is that it could be really useful in a scenario where you want to automatically add/remove devices you want to monitor from a cmdb…

1. Kevin Holman says:

I wish. I tried to create instances of the class “Node” (System.NetworkManagement.Node) which would allow such things, but I could not figure out how to make them initialize. So I used System.ApplicationComponent as a generic base class with my own custom properties. I’d prefer to discover node instances. I imagine there is some discovery data submitted in code, but I will keep playing with it. If I can get it to work I will update the MP.

1. Cyraz says:

Damn, I knew it sounded too good to be true 😀
        Anyway, thanks for everything, your blog has saved me more times than I’d care to admit !

2. Nikhil says:

Hi,
    I did followed this article and tried in our test SCOM env. But we are still not receiving traps. The scenario is as follows:

We have a Dell OME server ( monitoring physical dell servers )which is forwarding the SNMP V1 alerts to SCOM 2012 R2, but the alerts are dropping off in the SCOM as the SNMP V1 has an “agent address” contains the source IP of physical dell servers.

Is there a way in SCOM 2012 R2 where we can do some configuration to receive the traps/alerts.

3. Han Seen says:

hi Kevin,

Can this custom MP cater for SNMP v3?

4. HectorMarcia says:

you got me at “Therefore – even if you don’t need this functionality – this will be a very good MP example, of discovering objects from a CSV, and having those objects hosted by a resource pool and load balanced by resource pool members!”

Comments are closed.