How to create a SCOM group from an Active Directory Computer Group

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Great work on this Kevin. It should have ben default, just as OU if you ask me.
    Looking at the script now, will it work with nested groups? I want to create scom groups based on some maintenance groups defined in AD, but these are nested, and will need to search for computers recursively. Dosent look to me as this will work with the current script

Best
    Martin Ehrnst

1. Kevin Holman says:

OU is easy – because a computer only has a single OU…. so it makes sense to have an OU as a class property – it has a 1:1 relationship with an object (a computer can only exist in one OU) and it doesn’t change often. That makes it an excellent candidate for a class property – which is it, which made grouping easy.

AD group membership is not 1:1 – a computer can be a member of thousands of AD groups – so discovering this out of the box doesn’t make sense based on SCOM’s design. What they COULD have done is create a group authoring template, that is based on a module that queries AD and populates the group, but that would be VERY different than the core design – which is grouping based on class properties. What makes this easy to use now is a well written script that works, and MP fragments to make them easily reusable.

Now – on your question about SCOM and AD nested groups – I don’t understand the ask. Are the groups nested in AD or SCOM? Can you describe this a little better? I bet we can figure something out.

1. Hi Kevin, id did not mean a class property, but the ability to create group based on AD computer groups (as you did here)
        On to my question.I took a brief look at your script as i need to create SCOM groups based on AD groups that represent our patch windows (don’t ask why).
        Our AD groups are nested and only contains other computer groups. As far as I can see, you script does not work in this case, I can try to see if i’m able to create something with your script as base source ( i dont want to rely on the AD PS modules and such)

Martin

(The content was deleted per user request)
  3. bsuresh says:

This is an excellent blog, Kevin! I have used Visual Studio and created an MP and it is working fine! As we are with SCOM 2016, we can schedule Maintenance Mode for AD groups as our patching is based on AD group names.
    Question – We have around 20 plus AD groups specific for environments like Dev, Stage and Prd and for various time window. Can we use same MP to discover multiple AD groups and to create SCOM group names based on it? If yes, can you point me the direction to achieve it.

1. bsuresh says:

This is to update that I have edited an MP to discover multiple AD groups. All you need to do is to rewrite five HTML tags with the appropriate name in it. But, one challenge is that script code will be also pasted multiple times while adding the AD group. So, our XML will be lengthy in lines. If anyone have other option, that will be great.

1. Kevin Holman says:

This is one of the downsides to using fragments – you do not get the benefit of shared data sources as easily. To reduce your AD based Group MP’s XML size and duplication of the script – you’d need to use a shared datasource sealed in a library MP, then have each discovery reference this shared script datasource, and pass the important variables that change, like AD group name, etc.

1. bsuresh says:

Thanks for your reply, Kevin! I will try to create a Library MP and implement as you mentioned. As I am not good with Authoring, will read more blogs and create. Thanks again!

4. Mithun Raj says:

Hello Kevin, thank you for this great post. Just wondering if you know of any issues with the foreign domain? I can get the SCOM group from AD group as long as the domain is same as that of SCOM management server. If the domain is different, SCOM groups are not populating. We have multiple domains and some of them are in the DMZ. Event 7500 says FATAL ERROR: Did not find any members in the AD group. I use gateways to monitor servers in different domains. Any insight will be helpful. Thank you!

1. edsun says:

Kevin, I got the same error. Please help.

ABC.ADgroupTest1.MyTestGroup.ADBased.Group.Discovery.ps1 :
      FATAL ERROR: No computers in SCOM were found matching the (10) DNS names pulled from the group.
      Group objects: (10).
      ADGroup: (Test-Green-Computers)
      GroupDN: (CN=Test-Green-Computers,OU=Group1 – Global,OU=Test Objects,OU=ABC Company,DC=ABC,DC=Dept1,DC=local).
      Terminating script.

Thanks. Ed.

(The content was deleted per user request)
      2. edsun says:

I found out the cause of the error by looking at the PS code in the fragment. None of the machines in the AD group is managed by the SCOM management server (under the health check). And that caused the error. I picked a different group, and the fragment worked without error. Ed