SCOM 2016 now supports SQL 2012 SP3

When SCOM 2016 UR1 shipped – the only DB platforms supported were SQL 2014 SP2, and SQL 2016.

However, for SCOM 2012 R2 users, most were running SQL 2012.  This meant, in order to upgrade to SCOM 2016…..  you had to FIRST upgrade your SQL servers to a SQL platform that supports BOTH versions.  Before now, that meant your ONLY choice was SQL 2014 SP2.

We are now announcing support for SCOM 2016 on SQL 2012 SP3.

This will make an in-place upgrade of SCOM 2016 much simpler.  Most SCOM 2012 R2 environments will be able to simply ensure all SQL servers (OpsDB, DW, and Reporting/SRS) are running SQL 2012 SP3, and be able to have a successful and supported upgrade path to SCOM 2016.

Then if the customer so chooses, they can upgrade or migrate these SQL servers to a later supported version of SQL on their own schedule.

As of this writing – the documentation is being updated, but here are the current supported configuration links regarding SQL and SCOM support:

SCOM 2012 R2 supported SQL versions:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281933(v=sc.12).aspx    (this table doesn’t fit the browser, you need to slide it left and right to see all versions)

SCOM 2016 supported SQL versions:

1. Tony Romo says:

Noice!

2. Igor Puhalo says:

Is SQL 2016 SP1 comaptible with SCOM 2016. Do we really need to install sql 2016 RTM version only or it doesnt matter. Thnx in advance

1. Kevin Holman says:

Service Pack 1 for SQL 2016 is not supported for SCOM 2016 (yet) at the time of this posting. The product groups have to test with each SP version, and sometimes require specific Update Rollups which contain fixes needed to support a specific PS level. It might work just fine, or it might break something. Until the PG completes testing, major SP levels are considered unsupported and will be announced as supported once testing is complete.

1. Johny says:

Hi Kevin, in our organization we have SCOM 2012 R2 UR9. And we want to upgrade it to SCOM 2016. The databases are in a cluster SQL 2012 SP3 running on Windows Server 2012 standard. In the microsoft site it seem that the database role are not supported for the windows server 2012. Do you think it’s needed to upgrade the Os of the Sql Servers to 2012 R2 ?
        Thanks

1. Kevin Holman says:

Unfortunately, to be in a “supported” configuration, you need to follow the support guidelines as documented. The minimum OS level for a SCOM DB server is Windows Server 2012 R2. It might work fine, as there should be no OS specific dependencies…. but it wasn’t tested nor is supported with older OS levels.

2. Brian Wright says:

Any new news on SQL 2016 SP1 compatibility?

1. Kevin Holman says:

Not yet. I know it’s on the roadmap but I have not been communicated timing yet. 🙁

3. Daniel Bossio says:

For me the Setup.exe is being held up on the prerequisite check for the databases. Has the Setup.exe been updated to allow an upgrade from SCOM 2012 R2 using SQL 2012 SP3? The Setup.exe file on the VLSC is showing a release date of 1/3/2017.

1. Kevin Holman says:

I have not tested the upgrade scenario. I assumed it would work fine.

2. Jason says:

I have the exact same problem. I tried running the SCOM 2016 installer updates but that fails to find any updates.

Environment SCOM 2012 R2 RU12 upgrade to SCOM 2016 RTM with SQL 2012 Sp3 CU7.

I haven’t been able to find any updated installer that can bypass the the database check if its SQL 2012 Sp3. thanks

1. Jason says:

The fix is to make sure your OS is 2012 R2 and up as detailed….I guess I didn’t think that would matter. In my case I upgraded the SQL server OS from 2012 to WIN2016.

4. Murad says:

Hi Kevin, I was wondering if you have heard about this bug in SCOM 2016 agent and Sharepoint 2013 where PerfMon64.dll is crashing W3wp.exe process and pretty much leave SharePoint hung/inaccessible? I recently learned this the hard way when/after I upgraded my SCOM 2012 R2 to 2016. I wasn’t able to find anything official from Microsoft but I did run into this TechNet post that helped me resolve my issue temporary for now by reverting my SCOM agents back to 2012 R2 (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/24b4d768-57a2-42c9-8e18-1ef8c075913a/scom-2016-sharepoint-2013-perfmon64dll-crash-w3wpexe?forum=scomapm&prof=required)

Thanks

1. Kevin Holman says:

Yes. That has been resolved in SCOM 2016 UR2 which is soon to be released, I believe.