Extending Windows Computer class from Registry Keys in SCOM

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Stephen says:

I recommend sealing the MP so that you can leverage this information in other MPs

1. Kevin Holman says:

Without question this should be sealed – I recommend placing the groups for this in this same MP and sealing it so those groups can be used for any other override MP.

2. Orit says:

Hi Kevin,

What if the registry I want to add is under 32Bit node?
    for 32bit servers, it will appear under SOFTWARE\Contoso but on a 64bit servers it will appear under SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Contoso. Do I need to create 2 different entries?

Thanks,
    Orit.

1. Orit says:

Thanks, that helps!
        Orit.

3. David Sjölund says:

Hey Kevin, I’m a big fan of your blog!
    Thank you for a great post regarding extending a class.

I have applied this in an MP and Everything works great except one thing:
    When I decommission a server and delete the agent from the console, the extended class instance for that server is not removed.
    It is still visible in the Discovered Inventory view.
    I am forced to remove it by running an unsupported SQL-Query or I’ll be left with many orphaned instances.

I must have missed something, but what? 🙂

Thanks again
    David

1. Kevin Holman says:

I do not see this behavior.

Are you sure you are using the Filtered Registry MP sample, and not the CSV or CMDB examples? I know those have some issues I need to resolve – but the filtered registry one is hosted by each agent, so these should clean up on their own without issue.

1. Kevin Holman says:

Absolutely. I am actually developing MP fragments right now based on those.

They are VERY complex, unfortunately, and trying to make easy-breezy monitors out of them has proven difficult… but I am releasing one for a class discovery, and one for a shell command monitor today in my fragment library.