Base OS MP’s have been updated – version 6.0.7303.0

***WARNING***  There are some significant issues in this release of the Base OS MP, I do not recommend applying this one until an updated version comes out.

• Cluster Disks on Server 2008R2 clusters are no longer discovered as cluster disks.
  • Cluster Disks on Server 2008 clusters are not discovered as logical disks.
  • Quorum (or small size) disks on clusters that ARE discovered as Cluster disks, do not monitor for free space correctly.
  • Cluster shared volumes are discovered twice, once as a Cluster Shared Volume instance, and once as a Logical disk instance, with the latter likely cause by enabling mounted disk discovery.
  • On Hyper-V servers, I discover an extra disk, which has no properties:

What was changed?

From the guide:

MP used to discover physical CPU, which performance monitor instance name property was not correlated with Windows PerfMon object (expecting instance name in (socket, core) format). That affected related rules and monitors. With this release, MP discovers logical processors, rather than physical, and populates performance monitor instance name in proper format

That was a real problem for anyone trying to monitor individual CPU’s in the past – we actually discovered “sockets” not cores – so this didn’t jive with Perfmon at all.  I look forward to testing this. and scripts code migration to PowerShell in scope of Windows Server 2016 Nano support (relevantly introduced in Windows Server 2016 MP version

It is these changes that likely broke cluster disk discovery.

Updated Microsoft.Windows.Server.ClusterSharedVolumeMonitoring.ClusterSharedVolume.Monitoring.State monitor alert properties and description. The fix resolved property replacement failure warning been generated on monitor alert firing.

1. Scomist says:

Any known bugs Kevin?

2. Kevin Holman says:

@Scomist –

Keeping it real…. I rarely see where we make changes to the BaseOS MP’s and don’t impact something else. I am VERY cautious when upgrading Base OS MP’s in customer environments. I always recommend they wait 30 days before ever considering migrating to production,
    and spend that time testing in their labs/dev/non-prod environments. I typically like to examine what was changed – then go test. In this case, I’d really want to know what was changed with cluster disk monitoring, and test that the functionality I depend
    on, such as no change in discovered objects, and that my monitors are working, like free space.

3. Łukasz Rutkowski says:

Kevin – Nano Server has dropped support of VBS and JS scripts, that’s why base OS MP has it’s 2016 rules re-written to Powershell. Nano Server doesn’t have cscript.exe

4. Curtiss says:

does anybody else have issues with the "Cluster Disk – Free Space Monitor (%)" not generating alerts even though it’s configured to generate alerts by default (no, I don’t have any overrides). ?

5. Kevin Holman says:

@Curtiss –

What disk is it (drive letter? mounted?)

Is it discovered properly in discovered inventory for a cluster disk?

6. Igor says:

After updating to that version (cluster disk mp) all cluster disks gone from monitoring. Moved to old version

7. Jon says:

any idea if they’ll be hotfixing this soon? Thanks Kevin.

8. Scomist says:

Glad I did not import this. What’s MSFT track record here with the BASE OS MP? How many times have they dropped the ball on this MP? Wonder how this impacts OMS adopters. With the track record for MP quality (not really solid if you look at SQL, Lync,
    Exchange) I really have to wonder what issues OMS is facing, yet customers are not aware of. This product has been around for 10 or more years, and yet the MP quality is STILL an issue. I hate to say it, but that’s unacceptable. It’s not like this is a dying
    platform (windows mobile). MSFT needs to throw more effort into MP quality control, testing, and release management. What feedback is being provided to the SCOM product team in regards to these slip ups?

9. Sebastian says:

@Igor: How did you go back ? Importing old MPs is not supported in GUI. Is it for PowerShell Cmdlet Import-SCOMManagementPack ? I did the update right after release some week(s) ago. I’m afraid Restoring the DB Backup wouldn’t be an option, because we
    would loose all work since then.

10. Kevin Holman says:

@Sebastian –

You can go back. You have to delete the MP’s, and any MP’s that reference the sealed MP’s – then import the previous version, and then reimport your customizations/override MP’s again. For this one – if you DID update already, you can switch back to the older only. That is the MP with the most changes and it should be fairly easy to delete that one and reimport the previous version without too much trouble.

11. Tommy says:

I agree with Scomist, quality control seems to drop the ball as we had major issues with the SQL MP lately as well…

12. Sebastian says:

@Kevin – Selective Rollback seems to be a feasible way, thanks for that idea. Unfortunately we have some private MPs depending on the, what means some more activities…sometimes teh recommended
    Override-MP is not enough.
    Just an Idea: Could the MP-Team reactivate the previous versions ? Increasing that MP’s Version Number to 6.0.7303.1 should be possible, at least from a technical point of view. Then we could reimport the old behaviour with a new version number.

13. jon says:

Can we not just remove any references from the Manifests on dependent MPs?

It seems to have found its way into quite a few of our custom packs.

removing the references from the manifests and adding a revision number to the MP would let us re-import hte custom MPs without the dependency lock.

what do you think Kevin?

Il y a quelques semaines, Microsoft publiant la version 6.0.7303.0 du Management Pack Windows Server. En ce début de semaine, j’ai constaté plusieurs problèmes sur un environnement client. Ces problèmes ont é.

15. Jürgen Winter says:

Some of 6.0.7303.0 Management Packs available for update now have a new release date 06.03.2016. Are the problems fixed with those?

1. Lukasz says:

Mayby is there any way to write a new management pack to discover the disk?

2. Kevin Holman says:

The date is meaningless. They pulled 7303 and put 7297 back again.

1. Andres P says:

The import MP still shows 7303 as available ( which is confusing). I do not use it for importing , just for qick checking is something updated available for MS MP’s

16. John Bradshaw says:

Amazing…this is still available in the Catalog!

1. Josh says:

I see there’s version 7310 in the catalog now – I updated my test scom at the start of June but apparently the file won’t verify on my prod side. Going to try and download manually, if I can find it online.

“Windows Server 2012 Operating System (Monitoring) did not pass the security verification.
      The management pack cannot be downloaded and the temporary file has been deleted.

Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.Windows.Server.2012.Monitoring, Keytoken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=6.0.7310.0].”

1. Kevin Holman says:

7310 was pulled from the web. I don’t know about the catalog – NEVER USE the catalog. It is a worst practice. It is not kept up to date.

Download MP’s from the WEB only, as an MSI.

1. So, when it is best practice not to user the management pack catalog as it is not kept up to date, why provide access to the catalog at all? Providing access to a tool / feature and then saying using the tool / feature is worst practice, is also worst practice. Either remove the catalog completely or make sure that the catalog is up to date und usable. Just my two cents.

2. Josh says:

completely forgot that i’m on UR9 in test and UR7 in prod. will be updating to UR9 in a couple of weeks and will try to update the mp’s again.

1. Kevin Holman says:

UR versions wont have any impact on Base OS MP versions. We just need to wait until we get a good, quality, stable updated Base OS MP. 🙂