How to discover a Windows Computer as a Network Device in SCOM 2012

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Peter Heslop says:

Thanks Kevin,

This was exactly what I needed to resolve an issue with a Windows application that would fire SNMP traps, but did not have an SNMP agent that could be queried (and therefore discovered). Setting up the Windows SNMP feature and following the instructions above
    allowed me to work around the issue.

I actually took your instructions one step further by configuring SCOM to continue to discard Windows SNMP devices, except on the specific servers I was interested in. I did this by leaving adding a new check into the top of the ISWINDOWSHOST function (with
    the rest unchanged from the original installed state):

ISWINDOWSHOST(systemObj) do {
    if (systemObj->sysName == "SERVER1.domain.net" || systemObj->sysName == "SERVER2.domain.net") {
    return FALSE ;
    }

if (systemObj->Type == "HOST" && systemObj->Vendor == "MICROSOFT") {
    return TRUE ;
    }

if (SEARCHSTRING(systemObj->Description, "Windows")) {
    return TRUE ;
    }

systemOIDCheck = ".1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1" ;
    if (substring(systemObj->SystemObjectID, 0, sizeof(systemOIDCheck)) == systemOIDCheck) {
    return TRUE ;
    }

systemOIDCheck = ".1.3.6.1.4.1.99.1.1.3.11" ;
    return TRUE ;
    }
    return FALSE ;
    }

Hopefully this will be of use for anyone who needs to be sure that no other Windows servers get discovered by accident.

Thanks

Pete

2. Peter Heslop says:

I should have mentioned in my comment above that the sysName check is case sensitive. However, you can check what is required by copying the display name of the computer object in SCOM. In my system the server names were uppercase with the domain in lowercase.

3. Steven says:

i have modified the file but it still show filtered in my discovery

1. steven says:

i managed to discover them now but the windows trap doesn’t seem reach the SCOM 2012 as mine other traps for linux box are working.

1. Jonathan DeLong says:

Steven, were you ever able to get this resolved? I’m having the same issue. After making the change to that file, I can now discover my Windows Server as a device. When it sends traps though, I get nothing in my alerts. I do get alerts from other network devices however.

4. HectorMarcia says:

Hi Kevin,

As usual, it worked like a charm!

5. Sam says:

Hi Kevin,
    As usually very good article.
    Thank you so much for this blog. You saved my day.

6. Dethgiver says:

Kevin, is there any substantial issues with the combined monitoring? I am looking at monitoring a Solaris box with both the MP from MS and SNMP and just wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a hidden gotcha.

7. Bassam Maadarani says:

Hi Kevin,
    As I read through your blogs, I find them spectacular. I however have a question that I need to answer. I am tasked with comparing SCOM 2012 with another product. In particular one of the questions is if there is a method through which Network Discovery can discover Windows servers based on an IP range. I have tried for the past few days, but have not been successful at all.

8. eating means says:

Ӏ һqve been browsing on-line more than three hourѕ today, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours.
    It iѕ pretty price ѕufficient for me. Personalⅼy,
    if all webmasters andd bloggers made good content material as
    you probably did, the internet will bee much more hеlpful than ever Ƅefore.

Comments are closed.