SCOM 2012 R2 now has support for SQL 2014

In case you missed the announcement, you can now deploy SCOM 2012 R2 and use SQL 2014 as your database server platform.

We made some additions to supported SQL versions for System Center.   This includes adding support recently for SQL 2014, along with now officially supports SQL Server 2008R2 Service Pack 3 for OperationsManager 2012 R2.

Check out the latest table here:

The product group announcement and caveats are here:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2015/02/23/opsmgr-2012-r2-now-offers-additional-support-for-sql-server.aspx

1. Kevin Holman says:

From what I am told, you can install SCOM 2012 R2 on SQL 2014, and it will pass the prereqs and work. I have not tested that myself. If that is true, then you’d need to apply the latest CU in order to put the deployment back into a supported configuration.

2. Kevin Holman says:

Yes – when we announce support for a product and SQL version – it covers all databases unless explicitly stated. ACS is supported on SQL 2014. I know our documentation is missing this and it has been pointed out.

3. Kevin Holman says:

@Brian D –

To be clear – we do NOT support a clean install of SCOM 2012 R2 on SQL 2014. If it works, great. If it doesn't, it was never supported. When we announced support for SQL 2014 – it was for DB engines upgraded to SQL 2014 (or when migrating the SCOM databases to a new server/instance of SQL 2014) and only with CU5 applied to SCOM. In order to offer full support to INSTALL on a given SQL platform – that has to be written when the product is written. V.Next of SCOM, will fully support NEW INSTALLS on SQL 2014.

4. Kevin Holman says:

Thanks for the feedback guys – I don’t know how possible/feasible this is…. but am definitely pushing it upstream. 🙂

5. Kevin Holman says:

I am hoping to get a clear and concise support statement on that ASAP.

Hi all,

I can confirm that you can use the native SCOM 2012 R2 installer (without updates) to install to a SQL 2014 platform. I have done this myself within a production 2014 Always On availability set and worked fine. As Kevin says, update to UR5 to then bring it
    to supported configuration.
    Hope that helps,

Damian

7. jon sykes says:

The real question we all want to know is can the database run in memory?

8. Keith says:

From the product team, in-memory is currently not supported, but is being discussed for the next release of SCOM.

9. Meto says:

What About the ACS DB is it supported on SQL 2014?

10. Meto says:

Thanks 🙂 !

11. Jon Sykes says:

I truly hope they have time to invest into making SCOM/SCSM DB components support SQL Server 2014 hekaton. It would be a game changer for the performance of each product. Lord knows they could both use it from an console and authoring perspective.

12. John Kattenhorn says:

Is it possible to slipstream the Update into the installation media so I can setup a new installation with SQL 2014 ?

13. ashutosh says:

If we are installing SCOM 2012 R2 now, can we directly use SQL 2014 as DB server?

14. Brian D. says:

I am trying to get this working. First I tried a default instance configuration for SQL 2014. SCOM 2012 R2 would completely install, but the MS would never get to monitored state and the event log had 29112 every 10 minutes. The two systems had windows
    firewall completely off and there was no network gear between MS and DB server to block communication. I tried a few ideas found online, including adjusting DBServerName in config files and in registry, and gave up.

Reinstalled SQL 2014 with a named instance. Now I am in the SCOM 2012 R2 install wizard and stuck at the "Configure the data warehouse database" screen. It won’t accept servernameinstancename as valid, even though just one screen before, it accepted it for
    the OperationsManager database.

OpsMgrSetupWizard.log:
    [14:34:20]: Error: :Error opening SQL connection.: Threw Exception.Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131904, Exception.Message: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.
    The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 – No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
    it.)
    [14:34:20]: Always: :OpenAndTestSqlConnection: connection string – Data source=810-scom12db01om12,1433;Integrated Security=true;Connection Timeout=15
    [14:34:20]: Debug: :SqlConnectionReady returned False.
    [14:34:20]: Info: :SQL Product Level:
    [14:34:20]: Info: :SQL Edition:
    [14:34:20]: Info: :SQL Version:
    [14:34:20]: Always: :Could not find a match for edition of SQL.
    [14:34:20]: Error: :SqlInstanceData(): Threw Exception.Type: System.ArgumentException, Exception Error Code: 0x80070057, Exception.Message: Version string portion was too short or too long.

The installer doesn’t seem to be aware of SQL 2014.

We have another SCOM 2012 R2 environment that was setup start to finish with zero issues using SQL 2012. This is starting to feel like SQL 2014 has a lot of unknown gotchas.

15. Brian D. says:

First off – thank you for a fast response.

I guess I misunderstood the following page. It seemed to read as supported.

"Use this information to evaluate if your SQL Server environment is ready to support the installation of or upgrade to System Center 2012 R2".

I guess I misunderstood "installation of"?

16. Brian D. says:

I completely removed SQL 2014 and installed SQL 2012 with SP2. I installed SCOM 2012 R2, and am using the default instance for SQL.

Now I’m back to getting a 29112 event on the first and only management server in this new group. The management server shows "not monitored".

OpsMgr Management Configuration Service failed to execute bootstrap work item ‘ConfigurationDataProviderInitializeWorkItem’ due to the following exception

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server
    is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

17. harvansh says:

Hi Kevin,

I was installed SCOM 2012 R2 with SQL 2014 .is there SPN is necessary for this environment ?
    My SCOM action account is showing error "Run as account failed verification" frequently . I checked with Active Directory, everything fine from AD.

can you please help me on this.

18. Ian S. says:

So to be clear, if you migrate your Databases to 2014, you can then no longer add new management servers since the installer will not run to completion? I have tried to get that working in a lab and have been unsuccessful so far. The installer quits during
    Data Warehouse security configuration step. Or is there a way to slipstream UR6 into the installer?

19. Pacman says:

Hi Kevin, when can we see a blog on "SQL 2014 MP best practices" and how to make it shine 🙂

Thanks
    Murad

20. varalakshmi says:

Hi Kevin,
    How SQL 2014 High availability will work for SCOM 2012 R2?Won’t be support mirroring concept for Database HA?
    In My organization architects not recommended the always on option.Please clarify me doubts on this

21. Darren says:

Given the above constraints for a fresh installation of SCOM 2012 R2 whose databases are intended to be hosted on a SQL 2014 Always-On failover cluster, is there a way to slipstream CU5 into the installation of SCOM 2012 R2?

It also states that "No Update Rollups are required to use SQL Server 2014 as the database Server for Operations Manager." So which one is it? Is it supported for installation of the RTM product, or do you need CU5?

The error message (from the install log) I’m receiving during the installation is:
    Error: :GetRemoteOSVersion(): Threw Exception.Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, Exception Error Code: 0x800706BA, Exception.Message: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

22. Kevin Holman says:

@varalakshmi –

Always On and shared storage Failover Clustering are both supported. Log shipping was also supported but I have not seen a support statement on that recently. DB mirroring was never supported for SCOM, however I have several customers who deployed that without
    issue.

23. Kevin Holman says:

@Darren –

I was mistaken on the CU requirement – which was based on what the Product Group originally announced. They were in error. There is no UR level required to support SCOM 2012 R2 on SQL 2014. It will install and work with any UR level, or RTM of SCOM 2012 R2.
    The product group’s current official statement is this:

"No Update Rollups are required to use SQL Server 2014 as the database Server for Operations Manager"

24. Kevin Holman says:

I have updated this article to reflect the correct data and links.

25. Darren says:

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the timely feedback.

26. varalakshmi says:

Thanks Kevin for your valuable feedback

27. M.Mathew says:

Does SCOM 2012 r2 (UR 8) support in-place upgrade of its back-end from SQL 2012 to SQL 2014?

1. Kevin Holman says:

We don’t get into upgrades on SQL.
      As long as the old version AND the new version are supported versions for SCOM – then we support the scenario. during a SQL version upgrade, it probably makes sense to shut down the apps trying to actively read/write to the databases etc.

Just make sure your ending SQL version AND service pack are supported by your SCOM version/CU level.

One place this might break – is if you upgrade the SQL SSRS/SCOM reporting server. I haven’t tested it – but we use to have very specific guidance and even tools on making this work or moving it. If it breaks during upgrade, you might have to uninstall/reinstall SCOM reporting.

28. Eduardo Rojas says:

Hello, what about SCOM 2012 SP1?

29. saj mohammed says:

Hi,
    Do you know if SCOM 2012 R2 UR11 is supported on SQL 2014 with SP2 ? Our SQL SME wants to apply SP2 and asked the question if SCOM will be affected.

1. Kevin Holman says:

Supported versions of SQL for System Center 2012 R2 are documented here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281933(v=sc.12).aspx

SQL 2014 SP2 is not yet supported.

What this means, is that the product group has not tested SCOM 2012 R2 (any UR level) with SQL 2014 SP2. This doesn’t mean it wont work fine, it simply means there might be issues, and we might request you revert back to a supported version of SQL in the case you have a critical issue that requires support. In most cases, service packs for SQL are non-impacting to SCOM, but it isnt always the case and will be unknown until it is fully tested.

30. Randall Weytens says:

Are you aware of any effort for SCOM 2012 R2 to support SQL Server 2016?

1. Kevin Holman says:

Randall – I don’t know if we are pursuing that or not.

31. Jay Prakesh says:

Kevin, Can we install Ops DB & DWH & Reporting on same SQL 2014 server with Always ON all under same named instance or there are any challenges?

1. Kevin Holman says:

I answered this on the other post you cross posted the question to.

1. Hello Kevin

Would you please provide us with the link to your answer as I am having the same situation.

Much appreciated!

32. Ehren Schmidt says:

Hi Kevin, thanks for the article, i have one question. We are going to be doing a upgrade on SQL in one weeks time, to SQL 2014 SP2, Can you confirm that OPS, DW, ACS and Reporting (SCOM 2012 R2 UR 7) will continue working as they should once the upgrade is completed? or are there any configuration changes i will have to make? Thanks

33. Kai says:

Does SCOM 2012 R2 support installation with Report Viewer 2015 Runtime installed? It seems that it can pass Report Viewer control check only with Report Viewer 2012 Runtime installed.

34. Kai Sun says: