FAQ: How can I tell which servers are physical or virtual in SCOM?

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Anon –

Ummm this is a VERY simple WMI function in a native module….. I cant see how this could spike the CPU. How did you isolate it to this specific workflow as the culprit?

2. Tao Yang says:

Hey Kevin,
    I’ve also noticed a while ago that Microsoft Surface devices are also being discovered as virtual machine in SCOM, because the manufacturer is also "Microsoft Corporation". It’s probably rare for having Surface monitored by SCOM, but I thought just let everyone
    know.

3. Diane K says:

I am struggling with the Unix/Linux side. How can we tell if they are virtual or not? It seems like a small % of the unix/Linux agents return a value for the unix computer virtual attribute but the majority of them don’t return anything. I am unable to
    figure out what is the agent using to determine if a server is physical or virtual and how can I fix this for the other ones not returning a value for the virtual property. We are mostly a VMware shop so I am assuming I may need to go the route of creating
    a discovery specific to the VMware processes but I would like to know what Microsoft is using to determine the virtual property.

4. Floyd says:

This works like a charm. Thanks Kevin 🙂

5. bezel hysek says:

How can I fix this for the other ones not returning a value for the virtual property.

6. Anon says:

I’ve seen the System Center Central solution to this spike CPU on 0.5% of servers to 100% for extended periods of time. I used to use it all the time… but no longer.

7. Julian Milano says:

In SCOM 2012, the above view is working in the Windows Computer view but you need to Personalise the view and check the Virtual Machine option.

How do I find this MP in the AuthoringManagement Pack Objects view?

8. Tom vergauwen says:

Hi Kevin,

I want to apply same thing to get the volume name of a logical disk supplied… attribute is there but is not filled in with the logical disk discoveries…

I tried the ‘code’ beneath but this does not seems to do the trick. (I know that discovery is disabled, enabled this for a logical disk but does not seems to woork)
    To me it is a bit odd, that the attribute itself is foreseen, but not filled in with the discovery :-s

thanks for your adviece/input

Tom

9. Tom Vergauwen says:

And here’s the code/mp
    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&quot; xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

LogicalDisk.VolumeName.Discovery.Custom
    1.0.0.2

LogicalDisk.VolumeName.Discovery.Custom

shortened the references

Custom

ROOTCIMV2
    Select * from Win32_LogicalDisk where DeviceID=’$Target/Property[Type="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDevice"]/DeviceID$’
    86400
    $MPElement[Name="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDisk"]$

$MPElement[Name="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDisk"]/VolumeName$
    $Data/Property[@Name=’VolumeName’]$

$MPElement[Name="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDevice"]/DeviceID$
    $Target/Property[Type="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDevice"]/DeviceID$

Virtual Machine Discovery (Custom)

Discover VolumeName
    Sets the LogicalDisk VolumeName property

10. tom vergauwen says:

mmm… problems with posting xml of my mp :-s

11. Lorenzo says:

It works, thanks!
    Do you know if the isVirtual flag is available in the SCOM DWH schema as well?

Lorenzo