OpsMgr: Logical Disk free space alerts don’t show percent and MB free values in the alert description – updated for Server 2012

***Update 6-29-2016 – This issue was resolved in a recent Base OS MP update, and this problem no longer exists in the current MP’s.  You would no longer need to use an addendum MP for this purpose.  I will leave the blog up for historical purposes only, or when customers need to modify other scenarios.

I previously wrote about some updated Base OS Monitoring Packs that shipped, adding many new features and fixes for monitoring the OS, and some issues that the changes created.  You can read the old article here:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/11/17/opsmgr-logical-disk-free-space-alerts-don-t-show-percent-and-mb-free-values-in-the-alert-description.aspx

One of the areas this new MP focused on, was changing a lot of the “average threshold” monitors to “consecutive sample” monitors.  This helps control the noise when there are short term fluctuations in a performance value, or when some counters can spike tremendously for a very short time, skewing the average.  So for the most part – changing these over to consecutive samples is a good thing.  That said, one of the changes made was to the Logical Disk free space monitors, both for Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012 disks.

The script used to monitor logical disk free space in previous versions of the Monitoring Pack would output two additional propertybags for free space in MB and Percent.  This was very useful, because these values could easily be added to the alert description, alert context, and health explorer.  This was very beneficial, because the consumer of the alert in a notification knew precisely how much space was left for each and every alert generated.  Here are some examples of how it looked previously:

image

image

image

Now – when the new MP shipped – this script was changed to support the new consecutive samples monitortype, and was completely re-written.  When it was rewritten, the script no longer returned these propertybags, so they were removed from the alert description, alert context, and health explorer.  The current MP (6.0.6958.0) looks like this:

image

The monitor still works perfectly as designed, and you are alerted when thresholds that you set are breached.  The only negative side effect is the loss of information in the alert description.

Several customers have indicated that they preferred to have these values back in the alert description.  The only real way to handle this scenario, until the signed and sealed MP gets updated at some point in the future, is to disable the built in monitor, and enable a new monitor with an alert description that you like.

I have written three addendum MP’s attached at the bottom of this article, which do exactly that – I created new monitors (essentially the same monitors from the previous older version of the Base OS MP’s) and included overrides which disable the existing monitors from the sealed MP’s.  These new monitors are essentially exact copies of the monitors before they got updated.  They run once per hour and have all the default settings from the previous monitors.

With the addendum MP imported – health explorer looks like the following:

image

Note the new name for the addendum monitor, and the fact that the existing “Logical Disk Free Space” monitor is unloaded as it is disabled via override.

These addendum MP’s for Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012 each simply include a script datasource, monitortype, and monitor to use instead of the items in the current sealed Base OS MP’s.  These addendum MP’s are unsealed, so you have two options:

1. Leave them unsealed, and use them as-is.  This allows you to be able to tweak the monitor names, alert descriptions, and any other settings further.
  2. Seal the MP’s with your own key (recommended) after making any adjustments that you desire.  This will be necessary in order to create overrides for existing groups in other MP’s should you desire to use those.

One caveat to understand– is that any overrides you have created on the existing Base OS free space monitors will have to be re-created here on these new ones.  There is no easy workaround for that.

Let me know if you have any issues using these addendum MP’s (which are provided as a sample only) and I will try to address them.

Credits – to Larry Mosley at Microsoft for doing most of the initial heavy lifting writing the workaround MP.

Another approach:  Daniele Grandini has authored a different solution to this issue.  What he has done, is to add diagnostics to the existing sealed Logical Disk Free space monitors, which will add the actual disk free space in MB and % to Health explorer, so console users can have this information in real time as they use alert/health explorer to troubleshoot a free space issue.  His solution will not be able to add these values to the alert description to be sent in an email notification/pager/ticket, but for those companies that use the console and health explorer, it is a more graceful solution in that you don’t have to re-engineer all your existing overrides, and you still get the benefit of having consecutive samples.  It is worth a look:  http://nocentdocent.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/opsmgr-logical-disk-free-space-alerts-dont-show-percent-and-mb-free-values-in-the-alert-description/comment-page-1/#comment-1018

Microsoft.Windows.Server.LogicalDisk.Addendum.V2.zip

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Martin –
    What part doesn’t work?

2. Kevin Holman says:

@swissmike64 –

You don’t need that exact version – just that version as a minimum or later. So look at the version you are using – and just use that one to reference for sealing.

However – the latest Base OS MP’s contain a monitor just like the ones here in my addendum – it looks like the product group added this monitor back in due to popular demand. So you might consider just testing with the latest BaseOS MP’s and seeing if you like
    the built in monitor now.

3. Kevin Holman says:

Fahim – you aren’t missing a thing!

The new monitors will cover EITHER % free, OR MB free, or both, but separate alerts. There are some customers who wish to have a single monitor that requires both, and the ability to trigger a single alert when both conditions are met, AND to have a customized alert description at the same time. There really isn’t any strong reason to run this addendum, unless you are a custom who standardized on the “old” monitor, and don’t like what they did to reduce the value in the alert description of the current shipping monitor.

4. Kevin Holman says:

Aaron – the original monitor ran once an hour, so that’s what I set mine to. When it was changed to a consecutive samples monitor, they changed it to every 15 minutes, and 4 samples, so it had the EXACT same effect, it took an hour in a bad condition to detect. So you see very little difference.

The only reason it isn’t set more often by default, is due to the fact we don’t like to run script based datasources too often, as scripts are more resource intensive than simple perfmon based datasources. However, you can run the monitoring script every 15 minutes if you want faster detection.

5. Aaron.Jones325 says:

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the hard work again.

Quick question though. I installed the three management packs and I saw where they disabled the original monitors but when I tested the monitor by filling up a drive I didn’t get anything. Then I realized you said yours are set to run every hour as opposed to every 15 minutes like in the old monitor. Was there a reason for this? Are there any issues overriding yours so it runs every 15 minutes as well?

6. Kevin Holman says:

My MP’s are no longer needed – honestly – the latest Base OS MP resolved this issue and put back new monitors which are the same as the ones in my addendum MP’s.

7. Fahim2010 says:

Kevin,
    Thanks for your quick reply. Yes you are right. Having it in one alert helps. I might as well do that… So in regards to importing the monitor, is there a new way of doing it with V2?
    Thanks again,
    Fahim

8. David says:

great work, Kevin. I am a big FAN of your SCOM work. Can’t thank you enough…..

9. Netprofi says:

Can someone stop Microsoft from loosing functions in new MPs. Enhancements should NEVER reduce existing functions.

10. Fahim@Sickkids says:

Hi Kevin,
    Yes I have used your addendum monitor and it was a great help from you. Thank you for that. However, I am little confused here…SCOM does have newer version of monitor (Aggregate monitor) which shows space value. This aggregate monitor got one with MB value and one with % value. And I remember you talking about it in one of your article. Curious to understand your thoughts on V2 of addendum monitor. May be I am missing something here?
    Thanks,
    Fahim

11. Martin Jense says:

This does not seem to work for 2012 R2?

12. Martin Jensen says:

i don’t seem to get any alerts for 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

13. Martin Jensen says:

Maybe i have not set the override properly, i wan’t alerts at 10% 10GB / 5% 5 GB which works for all other OS’s.
    Otherwise a great mp, use it a lot for our hosting 🙂

14. swissmike64 says:

i don’t find the Microsoft.Windows.Library, Version 6.1.7221.0 (initial 2007 r2 release) for sealing the MP, because i want to set overrides. I also look on the 2007 R2 ISO but there is no Management Pack Folder.
    "Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.Windows.Library, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=6.1.7221.0]. The management pack was not found in the store."
    Can somebody help me out?

15. sam says:

Kevin, I downloaded your MPs and imported them into my SCOM environment but I am not seeing any changes to the alerts that I am getting. I am not seeing a value for the the disk drives. Can you please write up a how to get your MPs working?

16. Jesty says:

Hi Kevin,
    WE still have Windows OS MP and the addendum MP in our environment. We have the latest Base OS MP 6.0.7296.0.
    Currently we are getting two alerts from Addendum and the normal MP . Does the addition of Addendum MP disable the Base OS monitors.

Do we still need to keep the addendum MP

17. Kevin Holman says:

@Jesty –

The latest version of the BaseOS MP "fixed" the issues that caused me to write the addendum MP. You should not use both. Remove the addendum MP and use the free space MP that is now enabled by default. (is my recommendation)

18. russell says:

This doesn’t seem to be working for me. Do I have to do something to activate it? I see it installed under the monitors but still getting the same alerts. SCOM 2012 R2.

19. bala says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. I just gone through the article. I have the same requirement where alert description should have free space in % and in MB both in the alert.
    Can you pleas suggest whether Addendum MP will support for windows server 2012 R2 servers for getting logical disk alerts…
    And can you give an ideas about Base OS MP and its version which supports alert description should have free space in % and in MB both in the alert for windows server 2012 R2.

1. Kevin Holman says:

This issue was resolved in a later MP, and this addendum MP is no longer needed for this issue.

20. Grant C says:

Hi Kevin,
    Great work at documenting this for all the folks out there… we are running the latest Base OS MP’s (6.0.7297.0) and noticed last month and currently in catalogue that (6.0.7310.0) was released then pulled from download.
    My Problem is that while the latest Base MP’s fix the Free Space Monitors it does not fix the performance monitors like Disk queue length e.g. My users are complain about this alert description…
    The threshold for the Logical Disk\Avg. Disk sec/Transfer performance counter has been exceeded.
    …which has no values, sure I can get it from context but my users rarely like to use the console let alone dig up the alert context from health explorer. I was wondering what your thoughts are on an old post by Marius would be worth for implementing or would the pulled MP’s have this when re-released… https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mariussutara/2008/07/15/monitor-from-sealed-mp-generated-alert-and-i-do-not-like-its-description/ as oppose to recreating the monitors? (this is for SCOM 2012 R2 btw)

1. Kevin Holman says:

Hi Grant,

Funny, I was JUST talking with a colleague about that very post yesterday (in a different MP context). I wasn’t aware of that post when I wrote this solution a while back. The reason I could not use that scenario for this MP – what because they changed the underlying script and datasource, and were not outputting the information I wanted anymore, so a total monitor re-write was needed. On the other ones, as long as the datasource outputs what you want in the description, you are free to use Marius’s solution. I was contemplating a blog post walking through that step by step for people who want to use it.

1. Grant C says:

The step by step guide would be nice… I’m pretty confident in using VSAE for my own MP authoring although since the pictures from Marius are showing as not available it makes it hard to get a feel for the context in which his instructions call for especially when trying to make the solution work for 2012R2, as oppose to OM 2007. I think I get it but a guiding light would help in current context. Also I find your instructions by far the nicest to use 😛 🙂 😉 nudge nudge.

21. Greg Hejl says:

Hi Kevin,
    I have a disk monitor in our exchange 2010 management pack that is flapping on one of our CAS servers. This is the critical %space monitor – the warning monitor is behaving.
    This started when we began receiving “closed” emails from this monitor https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2365c615-a3ec-40c3-8b43-bca209d459cd.aspx
    Any troubleshooting assistance would be greatly appreciated