Update Rollup 5 for System Center 2012 SP1 released

System Center 2012 SP1 has shipped Update Rollup 5.

There are updates available for OpsMgr 2012 SP1, VMM 2012 SP1, Orchestrator 2012 SP1 and DPM 2012 SP1, in this release.

See the KB article for full details of each, with links to the individual updates and downloads.

1. Kevin Holman says:

Update Rollups are “rollups” by nature, they are Cumulative. There is no need to go in order. You’d upgrade to SCOM 2012 SP1, then upgrade to UR5 for SCOM 2012 SP1.

I recommend waiting one day (or at LEAST a few hours) in between the upgrade from RTM > SP1 > UR5. There are some issues if you apply an update IMMEDIATELY after applying a service pack or major level upgrade.

Besides, you should verify and validate there are no issues from the major update first anyway, by inspecting logs, running test plans, etc.

2. Kevin Holman says:

You should just follow the KB. It is pretty straightforward. You can use my last step by step for UR4 as a template.

3. Kevin Holman says:

This needs to be rectified. The SQL script must complete. I have not seen this have an issue when the HealthService is stopped on all management servers… there should be zero database connectivity. An additional step is stop/bounce the SQL service to
    break any existing procedures running. 23 management servers? That’s quite an interesting environment!

4. Upgrade steps says:

Kevin, any specific steps required to install the Rollup?

5. Bill C says:

The step for the SQL script update is incorrectly stated in the KB, just as it is for the 2012 R2 UR1 update. You need to apply the update_rollup_mom_db.sql script against the OPS DB, not the DWarehouse. (See step 2 in Kevin’s step-by-step post) http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2014/01/29/ur1-for-scom-2012-r2-step-by-step.aspx

6. Bill C says:

Edit for the previous post. I see the KB has both the incorrect UR_Datawarehouse.sql step AND the correct update_rollup_mom_db.sql step. Just skip steps 3 and 4. Sorry about that.

7. Bill C says:

Ok last post about my experience and to hopefully not confuse anyone further. IF you had already applied UR4 as I had, then the UR_Datawarehouse.sql step didn’t do anything. If you had not and were still on UR3 or earlier, then yes you would need to follow
    steps 3 and 4. I had forgotten that you may be jumping a few versions when applying UR5.

8. Mario E says:

I have no UR_Datawarehouse.sql script…! Where can i find?

9. Mario E says:

I have no UR_Datawarehouse.sql script…! Where can i find?

10. Metto says:

@ Mario %SystemDrive%Program FilesSystem Center 2012 SP1Operations ManagerServer SQL Script for Update Rollups

11. Mario E says:

Thanks for the reply! Sorry…. My mistake! I need to read more closely!! 😉

12. Mario E says:

Thanks for the reply! Sorry…. My mistake! I need to read more closely!! 😉

13. Oliver says:

Hi Kevin, again a great Post, but I can not find your last step by step for UR4? I only find your step by step for UR3? or is it nearly the same procedure? I am currently running UR3 and do I need to apply the SQL Script to my OPS DB? Cheers, Oliver

14. Mark H says:

Kevin, we are looking to update our environment from SCOM 2012 RTM to SCOM 2012 SP1. After we upgrade can we just install UR5 or would we have to install them in order?

15. Mark H says:

Awesome, thanks for the fast response Kevin! I will do just that.

16. Jon C says:

Hello Kevin, I want to first thank you for all the knowledge you share with us. I too like Oliver above can not find your last step by step for UR4 to use as a guideline for UR5 as you mention above. Will using the UR3 guideline work too? thank you

17. Graham A says:

When I run the update_rollup_mom_db.sql update script I get the following error:

Msg 1205, Level 13, State 56, Line 1
    Transaction (Process ID 105) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
    Msg 3727, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
    Could not drop constraint. See previous errors.

On the initial run it showed a number of row affected as you describe, and was immediately followed by the error above. On subsequent runs the error appears by itself.
    I have tried stopping the SDK service on all monitoring servers (23 of them) but the deadlock is still present.
    Can I proceed with the last stages of the UR5 update – datawarehouse and management packs – or must this be rectified first?
    We are doing this as a stepping stone to going to SCOM 2012 R2.

Thanks
    Graham

18. Ashish Vikram Singh says:

Hi Kevin, your post is very informative. Thanks a lot for sharing it and keep it up.

19. Graham A says:

Thanks Kevin. That worked.
    Yes it is an interesting environment which also includes 6 gateways.
    Our test environment has 4 management servers and didn’t have this issue.
    Thanks again for your help.

20. SCOM Newbie says:

IF I will to compare UR3 and UR5 and UR7, what is or are the reasons why I should rollup and which is better to use for our current version SCOM 2012 SP1 UR3 and most of our servers are Windows 2012. Another question is if I will roll up and I am having
    issues managing Windows 2012 R2 servers which upgrade path should we take?

Thanks in advance for your help.