OpsMgr 2012 R2 – QuickStart Deployment Guide

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Matthev –

There is NO reason to run setup as the OM Server action account. This is actually a worst practice – because the user installing SCOM needs WAY more rights and privileges than the OMAA, which is a service account and should follow the path of least privileges
    needed. I discourage that practice. Service accounts should be granted ONLY the rights they require to effectively execute the services and processes they run. The best practice is to run setup as your user account, that has been granted rights to all the
    machines and SQL. Then – if needed, your rights can be revoked, and the service accounts are unaffected.

How SQL is installed is up to the organization. Generally speaking, whomever installs SQL server is completely irrelevant. Once it is installed, the security access list can be configured within SQL. Some organizations use the built in local accounts to run
    SQL servers, and some use Domain accounts for SQL services. Some organizations run all SQL servers under a shared domain account, and some create a unique domain account for each and every SQL server. The only bad practice would be using a single domain account,
    because if that account is ever locked out, you risk shutting down a LOT of SQL servers.

2. Kevin Holman says:

@Jon –

Great question. However, as these are new features in Windows 2008R2 and later (and require domain/forest levels to support those), there is no support for MSA’s or GMSA’s in SCOM 2012. I’d imagine we will see support for GMSA’s in the future as they grow in popularity.

As to having distinct accounts per server…. the SDK account is used across multiple servers, it is not only assocuiated with a specific server, but it is used to access web console connections to an SDK, for the SDK to access SQL, for connector servers/Orchestrator to access the SDK, etc. Tying a service account down to a singular server seems a bit archaic, but I do understand different companies have unique security requirements. I do know that you can use different accounts for each management server’s OMAA, I imagine you can also use different OMDAS accounts as well, this would just get a bit uglier with security access to the database, etc. You might be plotting some new ground, as most of my customers want to simplify and use fewer service accounts to have to deal with.

3. Kevin Holman says:

@Najam –

You can remove SCOM 2007 R2 whenever you are ready to cut over to SCOM 2012R2 as production. Then once this step is complete, you can uninstall SCOM 2007 or just shut down/retire those servers, whatever is your normal process for server lifecycle. On the agents,
    you need to use the agent scripting objects to remove the additional management group:

4. Kevin Holman says:

@Manaf – yes. Use gateways with certificates. This is covered in the product documentation on TechNet.

5. Kevin Holman says:

You should look at the OpsMgr Sizing helper for 2012. For a management group with 500 agents, and 100 network devices, you can place both the SCOM OpsDB and Warehouse in the same SQL instance. For SCCM – it will depend on the number of clients. Is SCCM
    being deployed only for targeting these servers, or will it be targeting the desktop environment? If for servers only, I’d split the DW and OpsDB in different instances and share the SCCM DB with the DW as you originally planned. If SCCM will be used for desktops
    as well, and good performance is needed, I might consider dedicating a SQL instance for SCCM DB, and combining OpsDB and DW together per the sizing guide.

6. Kevin Holman says:

@Jared. Yes – you put the agent on both nodes of the cluster. We don’t alert on failovers. We assume that is a healthy part of clustering. We alert when a resource group is not online.

7. Kevin Holman says:

@John –
    Yes – to move your "tweaks" over, simply export and then import all your self-created custom unsealed management packs from one management group into the other. The only problem with this, is often you bring over a lot of "garbage" where you had tweaks saved
    to the wrong places, or you have a bunch of overrides set in the past that are undocumented and nobody understands why, etc. So most customers tend to choose to recreate their core overrides in the new environment and look at this as an opportunity to "do
    it right" and document all the changes you make to the environment, and leave the old stuff behind. If you just want to forklift whatever you have in SCOM 2007 and move it all over, then by all means you just move the unsealed MP’s over and you are done.

8. Kevin Holman says:

@Yesh –

You didn’t tell me the most important things, like what scale you are monitoring at? How many windows agents, Linux, URL, network device, 3rd party MP’s in scope, etc. These are all part of gathering requirements and mapping them to a design. You also didn’t
    tell me how many nodes are in the SQL cluster. Assuming this is a 2-node cluster, that falls into our "supported but not recommended" configurations. Only not recommended because both instances could fail over to a single node, and this could create a memory
    and CPU pressure condition depending on how much you scale. If this is a smaller environment, say less than 1000 windows agents and no Linux/Network, AND the cluster nodes have a good amount of memory, then it will likely be fine. From a compatibility perspective,
    there is no issue with combining an SCCM database and a SCOM database in a single instance. However, each will need their own respective SSRS server deployed separately for their respective reporting components.

9. Marlon says:

Hi Kevin,

For a new customer (300+ servers) I must design a SCOM2012 environment.

My SQL desgin will be  a SQL2012 database with OM and DW database, on the same SQL machine there will be a separate instance for the Report Database.

For me the most "challenging" issue are the service accounts.

I want to narrow it down as much as possible  so that I will have only 1 service account for all the SCOM operations.

Instead of separate accounts for reporting, action accounts, sdk etcetera.

Is this a good idea to have only one account or should I use the "old" way and create separate accounts for each service ?

Regards,

Marlon

10. Kevin Holman says:

Using a single service account is just fine.  Using multiple accounts is simply a best practice from the standpoint that each role needs different rights, and therefore should use a separate account from a security perspective.  However, there is no problem using a single service account for SCOM, for the MSAA, DAS, and reporting roles.  It isn't a "new" way or "old" way… it is simply broken apart for security best practices because many management groups and responsibilities can be widely distributed.  But especially for smaller environments, using a single account is fine and will not create any support issues.  You simply are granting more rights to a single account, which isn't necessary, but might simplify things for you or your customer.

11. sundar says:

While installing ReportServer, do we have to use Data reader account or DAS account. Kindly confirm.

Regards,

Sundar

12. Marlon says:

Tx, Kevin

I will discuss it with my manager and the customer,

Regards,

Marlon

13. Chris says:

You might want to add a stepp about configuring the SPN for the SDK service to the domain user account since that does not happen automatically. Even worse, it tries to register that SPN to the computer account which is a bug:

14. Jon says:

Can managed service accounts be used without issue? Also, do the OMAA & OMDAS account on each management server need to be the same account. Due to our security policy they would like to have an account tied to a specific server, so ideally we would have OMAA01 & OMDAS01 for mgmt server 1 and OMAA02 & OMDAS02 for mgmt server2, etc….

15. Jon says:

Great, thanks for the information. I would agree with your sentiment about multiple accounts…only wish I made the policies :).

Thanks,

Jon

Pingback from SCOM QUICK Install | config.re

17. Vitor Montalvao says:

Hi Kevin,

I want to try to find out why I don’t have issues in Discovering Windows Computer when I use my user account instead of SCOM action account (DOMAINOMAA), since both are local administrator of the target server.
    Discovery only fails with DOMAINOMAA. With my user runs ok.

Regards

18. Vitor Montalvao says:

Ok, I’ve found out where was the problem.

DOMAINOMAA need to be Local Administrator of the SCOM Management Server. Add it to the Administrators Group and had the problem solved.
    I just don’t know why SCOM didn’t add it to the Administrators group when it was installed.

19. Garry Trinder says:

Is it possible to change the data reader and data writer account after the setup to use separate accounts when I installed scom to use the DAS account for data reader and data writer as well?

20. Dale says:

So I have gotten to the point in your excellent guide where I am attempting to install the OM12 Reporting on the SQL server. I had the issue with the SPNs not being applied to the correct accounts but I fixed that. When I get to the Configure Operations
    Manager Accounts part where it is asking for credentials for the Data Reader account I give it the account I created (which is a member of local admins on the SQL box and SCOM management server, and is a separate account from OMDAS) and I get a pop up saying
    Setup could not connect to the SDK to retrieve the necessary information to validate this account. When I click on the little red x I get The user account *******omdr cannot be verified. Please verify the username and password to continue. Which I have done.
    I assume it has something to do with permissions in reporting services but I am at a loss. I have been stuck here for a day and I am supposed to demo a working deployment of this to our R&D department this friday, lol. As you can imagine I am somewhat panicked.
    Any help you could offer would be fantastic.

21. Steven says:

do we able to create 2 management server which shared the same clustered SQL DB ?

22. jimmy says:

You can add in as many management servers as you want. During setup, you add to an existing management group.

23. Steven says:

Hi Jimmy, mean if 1 of them are down and monitoring will still online and working normally which work like redundancy?

24. Matthev says:

Kevin, I have a question.
    Some people told me that the best practice to install MSSQL and OM is to run setup for:
    – Operation Manager using Run As different user account and use OM Server action account

– MS SQL using Run As different user option and use SQLDB account (for Database Engine Service)

Why? Could you please explain what is the clue?

25. MJ Almassud says:

Thank You Very Much.

MJ

26. ibulut says:

by consulting the event log SQLPRD, I found several connection attempt fails with the admin of scom, there is there a problem with connectivity between Scom 2012 R2 SP1 & SQL. I think it is a right of access problem for the "admin Scom" or Harbor problem
    with sql.
    knowing that I use one account SCOM Service

27. Najam says:

Hi Kevin,

I want to configure my existing SQL 2008 R2 cluster for SCOM 2012 R2 installation. Do you have any suggestions or guide mention somewhere?

28. Yesh says:

Hi Kevin,
    I need your advice on this ……

Have been provided a Single SQL Cluster which would be common for SCOM & SCCM.
    we are planning to have
    – on 1 instance SCOM DB
    – on another SCOM DW and SCCM DB….

Could this be achieved? pros and cons if any?

29. Yesh says:

Sorry Kevin for not mentioning those…
    Less than 300 agents and less than 100 nw devices….could grow as well….
    Yes, its a 2-node SQL cluster with 16GB ram for each node…
    Not to forget its being implmented in a virtual environlent….

Yes i am aware about SCOM not sharing SSRS with other SC components……
    Respective SSRS server means requesting 2 more servers for Reporting or single Reporting Server with 2 instances? Will this work?

Thanks once again Kevin for the help 🙂

30. Manaf says:

Hi Kevin,

I wanted to know if it is possible to Monitor 2 non trusted forest with a single scom 2012 R2 setup?

If yes, how to achieve this?

Thank You.

31. JaredCEG says:

I setup my SQL DB in a cluster everything is working great. In the document it says to Deploy an agent to the SQL DB server. In my case should I deploy to each server in the cluster? how will it handle alerts for the clustered servers example: you fail-over
    the cluster will that generate an event on the services stopping on the SQL server handing off the roles?

32. John Lomonaco says:

Hey Kevin. Love your SCOM and SCCM Blogs. Incredibly helpful. Question. We want to set up a new SCCM 2012 Ops Manager server to replace our old SCOM 2007 Ops manager. We’re not going to upgrade as the HW is old so we’ll just keep the old box around for
    historical purposes. But my question is, is there any way to export the configuration from SCOM 2007 and import into 2012? For example, all the tweaks of done in terms of Overrides and such?

Thanks much!

33. Najam says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your contributions. Just lovin it 🙂

I have upgraded the our SCOM 2007 R2 to SCOM 2012 R2 side by side. Now, how can I remove SCOM 2007 R2 from my environment completely?

Note: All my agents are pointing to both SCOM 2007 and 2012.

34. Raghul says:

In our infra we have 2 SCOM mgmt servers, 2 SQL servers (clustered) and 1 server for reporting. Is it possible to install reporting role in any one of the SQL servers ?

35. Kevin Holman says:

@Raghul –

You would never install reporting on any clustered node. I am not sure what the question is…. if you have allocated 1 server for reporting, you would install reporting on that server.

36. Raghul says:

Ya correct. Even though we have a dedicated server for reporting, installation of SSRS on that would require additional license, whereas if we install on the same SQL machine it would not require additional license. Hence the query.

37. Kevin Holman says:

There is no additional licensing required as long as you use System Center Standard edition. System Center licensing includes access to use SQL server standard edition as part of system center, as long as the SQL installation is dedicated to System Center
    products. It does not matter if you deploy 1 SQL or 10 SQL servers to support System Center deployment.

38. Nirmal says:

Hi Kevin, Thank you for a Great Post. One small issue I am facing is my Reporting Pane is blank when I access the SCOM console – remotely as well as from the Mgmt Servers. Went through numerous web searches but not able to find a solution. Will you be
    able to help. Thanks.

39. Kevin Holman says:

@Nirmal – blank reporting is normal for up to one hour. After that – if reports don’t deploy, it usually means you missed a step in applying correct permissions as called by the document, or you have some odd security policy in your environment which is
    blocking some account access. You should review all the events on all management servers Operations Manager logs for failure clues.

40. Nirmal says:

Thanks Kevin for quick response. I have looked the OM logs. There is one service failure that I get which is then resolved right away automatically in about couple of minutes time…The error is "Report deployment process failed to request management pack
    list from SQL RS Server. The operation will be retried." The resolved event shows "Report deployment process successfully requested management pack list from SQL RS Server " Both events are logged under Data Warehouse category. Is there any specific security
    policy for particular account that I need to look into? Thanks.

41. Suwanto says:

Hi Kevin, I have issue with my newly SCOM 2012 R2 where my reporting on availability is only showing few clients from total clients that it monitor. Please advise what could be the rootcause here. Thanks.

42. Najam says:

Hi Kevin:

Thank you for this and all of your information. Do you have any specific step by step guide to deploy ACS (SCOM 2012 R2)? If not, could you please refer to any?

43. dondon says:

Thanks Kevin,
    I have lot of agents showing as critical and greyed out as well as some showing as not monitored. Checking event log I can see ;lots of login failures.

Login failed for user DOMAINSERVER$’. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided.

44. Hi Kevin,

Can you please help me out?! I get to the same point Dale does, “setup could not connect to the sdk to retrieve the necessary information to validate this account”. I have double checked the DAS access to the Database Engine, and all looks fine. Please help?

45. Hi Kevin, i am experiencing this error: setup could not connect to the sdk to retrieve the necessary information to validate this account. Please advise as to what the issue could be? Account is part of the local admin and domain admin group, is a sysadmin when referring to the Database Engine. But still i cannot install reporting on my SQL instance

1. Kevin Holman says:

My first thought would be firewall, or something odd like disabled remove registry service.

1. Hi Kevin,

Remote registry is active on both servers, and firewalls are completely switched off. I can telnet to the SQL Server through port 1433 and i can telnet to the management server through port 5723. When doing the reporting server install on the SQL server, the error comes just after the pointing to the SQL Server instance, where you have to specify a service account with the appropriate rights.

problem is the appropriate rights have already been assigned to the account im using, from Sysadmin rights in SQL, to local admin rights on both MS and SQL Server, to even domain admin rights. it just doesnt want to validate the account for some reason.

1. Kapil D says:

I am having the same issue in a new SCOM 2012 R2 setup I am working on. The reporting service component on my SQL DWH running on SQL 2014 Enterprise edition is presenting the following error:

‘The user account domain\ cannot be verified. Please verify the domain, username, and password to continue.

Any suggestions will be a big help.

Thanks.

1. Kapil D says:

Piece of advice. If its a brand new setup, you are better off starting fresh. My first MS did generate some errors during setup but it still did install. But no matter what I did, could not configure Data Reader account to work with Report Server setup like I mentioned above.
            SECOND TIME AROUND IT WORKED!!!!
            Kapil Dham

46. Jake says:

Great article Kevin! Thank you!

I wanted to ask if the provided scenario could possibly fit on a born in the cloud deployment.
    My company’s operational environment is hosted on 3 Azure datacenters (West Europe, East US, West Us).
    We are about to implement SCOM 2012 R2 and in order to succeed high availability we are thinking to spread the roles as provided below.
    1xDatabase Server (EastUS Azure)
    2xManagement Servers (1 in West Europe and 1 in West US)
    Latency between the Azure data centers: West Europe – East US is 83ms and West US – East US is 67ms.
    Monitoring: 500 servers + 500 network devices.

Thank you in advance.

1. Kevin Holman says:

We do NOT support separating management servers across high latency connections. Management servers MUST be within 5ms of each other, and the database.

Therefore – I’d place ALL your infrastructure in a single location where you have the most assets (agents, network devices) and then any additional assets would simply connect “across the pond”. It is FAR better to have agent traffic go across a high latency connection than MS to MS or MS to SQL.

From: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/om/plan/planning-a-management-group-design

“Therefore, all management servers should be on the same local area network as the Operational database and the Data Warehouse database.”

I sent a note to the documentation owner to try and make this a little more clear. It is a common design mistake.

1. Jake says:

Thank you for your feedback Kevin. I really appreciate it!

47. Morning, I am using your guide to install in our lab environment.
    SQL server 2012SP1 Standard is being used as this was already installed and used by our SCCM guy for his stuff. Everything has gone exactly as it should up until Reporting Server install on the SQL box.
    In trying to get Reporting Server to install, I get to the point where I select the sql server\instance and the only one that is presented is the existing instance(native??). I cannot remove or type in different entry…would this mean I would need to use a different SQL box even though I have a separate instance for SCOM on this one or is there another option that would not destroy his reporting setup?
    Thanks again!
    Tony

1. Kevin Holman says:

Exactly.

SCOM does NOT support shared instances of SRS for SCOM reporting, nor does SCOM support when there are multiple instances of SRS on a single server. SCOM requires a DEDICATED SRS deployment because we rip the guts out of the SRS security model and replace it for role based security in SCOM – and this will impact everything on the box. In these cases I recommend a dedicated VM, or install SSRS on an existing server like a management server and deal with the resources it will use.

1. Afternoon,
        Wow, answers that questions, thank you again so much! When the original install was done in the lab, it used sql2008r2, so I wanted to update things a bit when I revived it…..how much of a performance/resource hit would I incur putting SRS on one of the two Mgmt Servers? Would it matter which mgmt server it went on? The lab environment only has 15-20 servers of varying OS and application.
        Also, to touch on the info regarding use of MSA’a/GMSA’s, do you know if there is currently a plan for when these will be supported in SCOM configurations?
        Thanks again for all your great contributions and assistance!
        Tony

1. Kevin Holman says:

Resources are not a concern in a lab. SCOM is designed to support ALL roles on a single server for up to 250 agents. Doesnt matter which one you pick. There is no support for MSA/GMSA, and they are not supported for SCOM 2016 either. The reason for this was very low customer demand when we asked customers for what changes they wanted. GMSA’s require an ad level and most customers were not using yet.

48. Sylvian Lam says:

Hi Kevin,

I have questions that hope you can help me. I’m using SCOM 2012 SP1 and want upgrade to SCOM 2016. I understand in-place upgrade is not support. Would it be make sense if:
    Install a new SCOM 2012 R2 Management server and join the existing domain of SCOM 2012 SP1
    In-place upgrade the SCOM 2012 R2 Management server to SCOM 2016?
    The above SCOM 2012 R2 and SCOM 2016 will use SQL Server 2014.
    Any comments are welcome.
    Much appreciated.
    Thx

Sylvian

49. Graham says:

1.) For reports to be viewable via Web Console, will the Web Console component need to be installed on DB01?
    2.) If splitting the Operational DB and DW DB on separate SQL servers, does the Reporting Services then need to be installed on both the Operational DB server and DW DB server for Operational data reports and DW data reports to be viewable via the Web Console?

Thank you.

50. Mukesh Kharade says:

Crisp & clear!! Again a great blog by you Kevin. Trust, I completed all my SCOM certifications just reading your blogs. Thanks for all your in depth knowledge on system tools.

Comments are closed.