Event ID 129 – storachi – Reset to device, DeviceRaidPort0, was issued.

One of my Server 2012 machines kept hanging, and it was more than annoying.

The system is a Dell Precision 690 Workstation, with dual Xeon CPU’s, and has the Hyper-V role installed.  This machine uses an Intel storage controller and has an addition Dell SAS/SATA controller.  Primarily, I use this machine as my iSCSI server to host disks for other servers in my lab.

The problem, is that several times an hour, the entire system would hang, for 20-30 seconds.  It would always recover.  However, all the other servers that depend on this server for an iSCSI connection to storage, would also hang up or throw errors caused by not being able to reach the storage.  All the VM’s running on iSCSI disks would also just hang until this self corrected.  VERY frustrating for demos.  Smile

I read several articles on the web, mostly pertaining to Windows 8.  There are all sorts of recommendation such as enabling hot swap options in the BIOS for AHCI controlled disks, changing from the Windows driver for the intel storage controller to the Intel branded RST drivers.  Some only experience this with SSD’s installed, and this system does have three of them.

When the hang occurred – you would see the following in the system event log:

Log Name:      System
Source:        storahci
Date:          6/19/2013 4:36:34 PM
Event ID:      129
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      VS3.opsmgr.net
Description:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

What finally resolved this for me – was changing the power management settings, from Balanced to High Performance.  What this actually changed that was critical to this condition was modifying PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Off

image

Turning this from “Moderate” to “Off” resolved the issue and I no longer get these frequent hangs.

From an article I found that discussed this:

PCI Express has "active-state" power management, which lowers power consumption when the bus is not active (that is, no data is being sent between components or peripherals). On a parallel interface such as PCI, no transitions occur on the interface until data needs to be sent.

In contrast, high-speed serial interfaces such as PCI Express require that the interface be active at all times so that the transmitter and receiver can maintain synchronization. This is accomplished by continuously sending idle characters when there is no data to send. The receiver decodes and discards the idle characters. This process consumes additional power, which impacts battery life on portable and handheld computers.

To address this issue, the PCI Express specification creates two low-power link states and the active-state power management (ASPM) protocol. When the PCI Express link goes idle, the link can transition to one of the two low-power states. These states save power when the link is idle, but require a recovery time to resynchronize the transmitter and receiver when data needs to be transmitted. The longer the recovery time (or latency), the lower the power usage. The most frequent implementation will be the low-power state with the shortest recovery time.

I can assume that the 20-30 second “hang” was a resynchronization process, and turning this to “Off” kept the PCI express bus in synch at all times.  Might help you if you run into this.

I really appreciate this blog entry — I was having serious issues with my Blu Ray drive being reset in the middle of various operations, and thought maybe my motherboard was starting to fail — you saved me from replacing it in vain. Awesome information.

2. hassan sayed issa20014 says:

thanks

3. Maju says:

Apparently it solved my computers problem. The same hanging off the system happened as stated when I re installed windows 7 for my Dell XPS 1340.

4. Tricky says:

Seems to have solved this issue on my Intel DH87MC mainboard. For the benefit of future readers, there is also a setting for Link Power Management under "Performance" in the Intel RST console.

5. Max says:

Hi, unfortunately the power setting in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software doesn't help.

Just started my Computer and the event log has this error again logged 3 times.

But now I will also try the above mentioned power option integrated in Windows 7.

Please note that this didn't happen BEFORE I installed the IRST …

I don't know if this happens also with Intel SSDs, or if it only happens with SSDs from other manufacturers. If the latter is the case then you can assume that Intel is doing that on purpose.

6. Willie says:

Thanks for the write up, this helped my issue.

7. Ron says:

The power settings have not changed anything for me. I stil get the reset. This has plagued my Dell XPS for 5+ years and there does not seem to be a solution. Do not buy anything with nVidia in it!

8. Hare says:

I have the same error on my Win2008 R2 server and the settings did not fix the error…

9. Niko says:

I noticed this warning in the event log as it occurred 4 times on August 18, 2013. The source for me is "amd_sata" simply because I have an AMD board with AMD AHCI sata driver. I filtered the log and found that the same warning occurred 20 (TWENTY) times on January 26, however, it never happened in the months between January and now. I have no idea what caused it and I doubt that turning link state power management off will solve the issue.

10. t.g says:

Hi,

I've the same Dell Precision 690 2xXeon E5345. 12 G Ram, 3xHitachi 143 SAS 15k, running into RAID 0 (Stripe) mode (LSI Raid SAS Controlle). OS is Windows Server 2012 and I''ve the same issue. I've changed the power option, but that doesn't help. Can you share if there is some specific BIOS configuration, in order to make it work correctly. I've updated all the drivers and I've checked the system with Dell utility from the dell.com site. It says everything is up to date.

Thanks in advance,

11. Kevin Holman says:

I rebuilt this same system with Windows Server 2012 R2 and was experiencing the same issue.  I made the same change, and it resolved it, again.  So, this continues in Windows Server 2012 R2.

12. Marc Sayer says:

I had this problem as well, Win 7×64, AMD PII 925  4 core, Asus M4A79XTD Evo, Nvidia GST450, running 3 Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drives, primary boot drive configured IDE, other 2 drives configured AHCI and setup as a mirrored pair (Win 7's inbuilt "RAID 1"). Had never had this issue before, but after a clean reinstall for other issues, I found 20 of these warnings in my Admin events log the next morning.  There was a clear pattern,  a pair in rapid succession (about 18 seconds apart) and then another pair about  every 20 min. I checked the advance power settings and my PCIE link power state setting was already set to off. But I noticed that the "Hard Disk – Turn off hard disk after" was set to power off the disk after (yep you guessed it) 20 mins. Setting that to "never" has seemed to resolve this issue for me. I've got 5 Win 7 machines in a home network and this is the only one that has had this problem. It is also the only AMD based machine and the only one with some of the SATA ports configured as IDE (win 7 x64 would not accept the AHCI drivers during setup, said they were unsigned, which meant I could not setup the boot drive as AHCI, so I configured the 2 SATA ports that could be setup as IDE while still leaving me 4 ports that could be setup as AHCI or RAID, and used those 2 ports for my boot drive and my DVD). Have not been happy with the AMD product. The AMD RAID configuration was so bad I dumped it and used the inbuilt Win 7 mirroring feature instead. Could not gtet any info on the physical drives in the RAID array (had a long discussion with the guy who created Hard Disk Sentinel about this and it is a problem with the AMD firmware and drivers), and AMD only reports a temp for one core which is just idiotic. This will be the last AMD based system I ever build.

13. dead says:

Hope this fixes my system hangs, its either this or the stupid bing weather app errors in event viewwer.

14. Frode Ersland says:

Thank you! Solved my problem on a Surface pro 2.

15. DARIUS says:

Have the exact same issue, i keep getting the warning every minute. It can hang for 2-10 minutes and it will come back. tried this solution, but doesn’t change anything I’m afraid…

16. Fredco says:

This sounds good. Been searching alot for a solution and I think this is it! Thanks.

17. Roberto says:

Thank you for this post, I was crazy finding some solution to our common problem, Great Work!

18. Efe Kaptan says:

19. Fisicus says:

I too had this issue, and to solve it I had to take 2 more steps: Change the value on the option "Hard Disk – Turn off hard disk after" to "never" and Disable my DVD Driver (it seems that it is failiing badly).

20. Martijn says:

I had this issue after reinstalling windows 7 on an Asus Maximus V Gene (Intel Z77) mainboard. I might not have had the IRST installed before, but now I do since reinstalling, I have this problem.

I have an SSD installed for the operating system, but the system hang only occurred when trying to access a regular harddisk. Windows would respond normally (I could find this website for instance), but the explorer window where I was browsing the second harddisk
    would hang. As soon as I made the change in power settings, the explorer window snapped out of it and the file I had clicked inside it opened.

I”ll keep an eye on the IRST software to make sure it doesn’t change the value back to power saving.

21. Amol says:

I had same issue with HP server running backup from unix OS, the server is 2008 R2 enterprise. When we are running full backup its getting failed one of the server which is running this OS. We change the power settings as its mentioned but still we are
    having the same issue. Backups are keep on failing. Pls suggest

22. BMacNaughton says:

I had to turn off Link Power Management in both the Intel Software (requires a reboot) and in the Windows Power Management settings show above. I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

23. Erik says:

Actually, this is the incorrect setting for your issue! (That setting only affects purely PCI Express devices, such as Graphics Cards) It is actually the "AHCI Link Power Management – HIPM/DIPM" Power Options setting which is changed from HIPM (Balanced)
    to Active (High Performance). This setting, by default, is HIDDEN inside of the advanced power settings menu. In order to expose it (as well as transition time setting from "Partial" hard disk state to "Slumber" hard disk state; "AHCI Link Power Management
    – Adaptive"), you must go inside the registry to both:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPowerPowerSettings012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60 and change the "Attributes" key value from 1 (default; hidden) to 2 (exposed). [This will expose "AHCI Link
    Power Management – HIPM/DIPM" under Hard Disk power settings]
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPowerPowerSettings012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456 and change the "Attributes" key value from 1 (default; hidden) to 2 (exposed). [This will expose "AHCI Link
    Power Management – Adaptive" under Hard Disk power settings]

BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THESE EXACT ABOVE TWO REGISTRY SETTINGS! YOU CAN RENDER WINDOWS INOPERABLE IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING! Changing the "Attributes" key values from 1 to 2 are completely safe! All this does is changes
    the setting boxes from Hidden to Exposed. The settings themselves DO NOT change unless you change them inside of Power Options. (Either by way of switching performance profiles and/or changing advanced power settings through Power Options)

Please refer to this wonderful explanation of the above settings, as well as a downloadable .reg file to automatically change the above "Attributes" values SAFELY for you:

READ THE RED BOX!
    "WARNING: Your SSD and HDD drives must support HIPM and DIPM, and must have a SATA connection with AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS for them to be able to have their power usage managed.
    AHCI is usually enabled in the BIOS by you before installing Windows 7. If you didn’t, then you will need to enable AHCI after the installation of Windows 7 before doing this tutorial."

In order to easily check whether or not your Hard Drives support HIPM, DIPM, and/or HIPM+DIPM, you can download AIDA64 from
    Please note: They are only "Trial versions", but they are fully functional and will allow you to see which, if any drives, support the above advanced power management features for HDDs/SSDs.

(HIPM = Allow Host-initiated Interface Power Management; DIPM = Allow Device-initiated Interface Power Management; HIPM+DIPM = Allow Both Host-initiated AND Device-initiated Interface Power Management; Active = Do NOT Allow either HIPM or DIPM)

Hope this helps =D
    -Erik

24. jim says:

Confused about the final settings to choose. Are these the settings to use to address the problem?
    Thanks.

25. BobH says:

I discovered the correlation between the periodic system hang and the Event ID 129 log entry on a HP Envy Notebook running Windows 7. Turning off Link Power State Management seemed to fix the issue. When I found this blog entry, I considered it the confirmation
    I needed. So thanks for posting and for all the good comments too.

26. BobH says:

I needed. So thanks for posting and for all the good comments too.

27. ZEDA says:

A Windows Server 2012 was performing so bad that applying this solution took me 1 hour to get the events out of the eventlog and 1,5 hour to apply your solution. It solved the problem perfectly. Thanks.

28. redshield3 says:

Oh my god. thank you, this solved my problem.

This resolved my issues. Thanks!

30. IssDochWurscht says:

Turning off LPM in the Intel RST had no effect. I had resets of the bus every 30 seconds (including a strange sound from the CD rom). But turning off the PCI-express energy option shown here has helped to have a quite system again. Thanks a lot!

31. Hugh Messenger says:

Thanks! This was enough of a clue for me to finally fix an issue which had been affecting my system for a month or so which until now I had no clue how to fix. I’ve now resolved the problem.

32. Derrick says:

You the man Kevin! Ive been looking all over the internet for a solution after just building this brand new computer. I ran a lot of test to check things and your solution just fixed it. Thanks!

33. Kevin, great stuff man. I was having similar issues with my SMB file server occasionally disconnecting from my Hyper-V servers which was driving me crazy. Turns out that I had the Hyper-V servers on balanced versus high performance which in turn may have
    been the underlying issue (the symptom in this case was a single host which all VM’s on the SMB file share went offline).

34. Mike W says:

I’m slowly losing my mind to those issue myself. I have a Lenovo Y40 laptop, consisting of a i7 processor, Liteon 256GB ssd, 8GB ram, AMD R9 275X dedicated gpu. This thing freezes up for the 20-30 seconds in windows, games, media, whatever – with this
    same event ID. I’ve tried setting the Link power management from HIPM to DIPM and then to Active, none of which help. I’ve checked for any updated bios and drivers and I appear to have the latest of everything. What could I be missing?

35. Max says:

It didn’t really help me. I turned it off and the problems vanished for a couple of days, then they came back. I used the registry trick and disabled the HDD low power settings too, didn’t help either. Now I turned both settings on again and I didn’t notice
    and hangs for the past 2 days. I have no idea what’s the cause or how to solve it, other than it seems to be the AHCI driver.

It seems to happen at random. I used a ThinkPad L440 with Windows 8.1 x64 and a Crucial MX100 SSD. I feel like it is a problem with the Intel AHCI driver and they need to look into it.

36. John Halo says:

I’m having the same problem with a new PNY Optima 240 G SSD and a fresh install of Win 10. None of the other fixes have worked yet for me.

37. John Halo says:

It fixed mine. I am running the tech preview of Win 10 and never had this issue until I reinstalled the OS on a new PNY Optima 240 G SSD. It would happen every few min. I tried above several times with no success until I made a NEW power plan. Any time
    I tried to select ‘high performance’ it would always revert back to ‘balanced’ on its own. Now it has gone over 2 hrs with no recurrence. I am a happy camper.

38. Robert says:

Thank you, I have had this issue every time I did a clean install. I fixed it before but didn’t document the settings I was changing. Your solution seems to be the key! Thanks again!

39. Max says:

I finally found a solution to my problem (four post above it is posted). I changed my SATA AHCI driver in the device manager. I even still use the Intel driver (didn’t change to the basic Microsoft one), Just go to properties->update driver, then let it
    give you a list of drivers on the PC and select the Intel driver with the "8C03" at the end. No more hang ups since then!

Hope this helps!

40. Silverman says:

In my case the reason was a weak sata cable

41. rjcuk says:

I tried everything to fix this – BIOS AHCI power settings, the power settings in this blog, upgrading the Intel RST drivers, upgrading the USB 3 drivers. Nothing worked. I’ve finally managed to fix it by disabling write caching on the disk using Device
    Manager. Three days now and not a single ‘reset to device’ or ‘the logical operation at the address was retired’.

42. PaintyNZ says:

43. Andrei says:

Thank you very much! The solution has worked for me.

44. Heiki says:

Just posting to say thanks for the write up!
    I am having same issue and have changed the setting. Hope it fixes the problem for me.

45. PJBeee says:

Seems to help a lot, but got that same pesky error again today, sorry to say. I’m still thinking that the fix given is a big help.

46. PJBeee says:

Thanks! Was a partial solution. With my Win 8.1 laptop and a new Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, it got lots better after the mentioned tweak, but the error still happened on occasion. Just updated the Crucial SSD firmware from MU01 to MU02, and hoping that this
    will take care of those few errors.

47. Nic says:

Thanks, great post! I was getting the issue on a lenovo Y410P ideapad laptop running Windows 10.

48. justin says:

Not a complete solution for me. I have implemented most of the suggestions in this article and even had my SSD replaced. Still happens on average about 4 times a day. The only solution so far is uninstalling Hyper-v which is not an option.
    Any further insights would be welcome System is (HP Z220 xeon with Micron M600 2.5-Inch SATA NAND Flash SSD)

49. Tomas says:

Tanks to author and Erik (page 2 of discussion)!

I received the same issue after upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on the system based on MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 board. (Have to say: performance on 8.1 was OK.)
    I even tried the complete installation (with system disk format) – no avail.
    I found this article:
    which points out that possible cause of the conflicts may be SATA driver.

So I change (in BIOS Setup) my disk controller interface from AHCI to IDE and reinstall Windows 10 again. It seemed to cut the problem at the very same root!
    For the sake of curiosity, I tried also clean installation with controller in AHCI mode and set of "PCI Express Link – Link State Power Management" to OFF state – it does not help.
    I also tried to change only hidden power management setting "Hard disk – AHCI Link Power Management – HIPM/DIPM" to "Active" and it worked for me!

Conclusion:
    IDE mode
    – IMHO, switching controller to IDE interface in BIOS is safer and more persistent (it’s less likely anyone will change it back without notice)

– Switching to less problematic (for Microsoft problematic) interface seems to cut the the problem at the very same root
    – There may be performance drawback (disputable) against AHCI mode
    – Very likely, Windows would not boot after switching the controller mode in BIOS (very likely, they don’t not have any IDE drivers installed at the moment)… so you have to reinstall Windows to get proper drivers on board. Possibly, there are other less dramatic
    scenarios how to fix this (installation with fix/recovery option, forced installation of IDE drivers before the change in BIOS…) but I did not try anything of this.

Power Management correction
    – non-invasive fix (nothing need to be reinstalled)
    – you have to manually change the registry to make this change (not a big challenge…)
    – updated settings may be unintentionally lost by switching to another Power management profile, or by reverting current profile to default

50. Victor says:

I experience the same problem.
    My platform is AMD APU with A75 chipset, and a Plextor M6V SSD.
    When I open Chrome or history of Firefox, I always waiting at least 1 minute and can find ID 129 in Event Viewer.
    I changed the Link State Power Management to off and reinstalled AMD chipset driver, but without luck.

Finally I tried to find a SSD firmware update and in release notes says "“Power management ” mechanism to improve compatibility for potential problem that drive might hang under specific condition."
    After updated firmware, the world is quiet.

So, fireware update is should be a consider of solution.

51. Alex French says:

Thanks very much – experienced this on both Windows 8.1 and 10, exactly the same symptoms. All resolved now.

52. Robin says:

Also suffering this problem since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, with a AMD A8-6500 APU and Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2 motherboard.

Drivers for everything are at the very latest version.
    Firmware for the motherboard is also latest (F8c) as is the SSD firmware.
    I’ve tried:
    – chkdsk
    – sfc /scannow,
    – creating new users on the system so they have clean profiles
    – clean install of Windows 10
    – cloning the SSD to a completely different (newer) brand
    – memory testing software
    – different memory
    – different sata cables

Hopefully this power management setting does the trick and I don’t have to change from AHCI to IDE and reinstall. Will post back if this has fixed it. Thanks!

53. fdiv_bug says:

Amazingly enough, this is still relevant on Windows 10. I started seeing this error after switching to an SSD, and it appears that setting the power plan to High Performance seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

54. Gilles Detillieux says:

Awesome! I think this solved my problem. My music collection is on a second drive that doesn’t get accessed frequently. Since switching to Windows 10, I found iTunes would periodically freeze for 20-30 seconds, a few times per hour. The event log showed
    warnings like the one above coincident with the freezes, and a Google search led me here. I’ve turned of the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting about an hour ago and there hasn’t been another freeze since then.

55. RubenGomez says:

buena aportacion

56. karthik rao says:

thank you for the detailed explanation, very helpful!

57. Jose Antunes says:

Thank you very mutch… you save my life… I had this hangs in my new pc and I was going crazy… Thank you

58. Paul B says:

Helpful info, thanks. Note that you must hit apply and reboot the computer for the setting to take effect… make sure you double check after the reboot to make sure it stuck. Also, if you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed, make sure you disable “Link Power Management” on the performance tab so that software does not try to re-enable the setting.

59. d.tonkova says:

I got this error as soon as migrated to windows 10 and Office 2016. I’ve run check disk and did some Power settings adjustments proposed in dozens of articles. After I realized that error is generated while working with Skype for Business 2016 and Outlook 2016 in parallel, I’ve fixed the issue by updating Office 2016. I do recommend before someone starts trying different solution try to identify exact applications/drivers that causes this error event.

1. d.tonkova says:

EDIT – in fact update of Office 2016 just reduce the error but update of Intel Rapid Storage Technology solved it.

60. Rob H says:

I’ll chime in and say thanks, as well, as the hangs were driving me absolutely nuts. Thanks, too, for including the error string, as that’s what brought me here. All very much appreciated.

61. LordBug says:

Always thought it was because of my browsing habits tending to fill up with many, many tabs, would typically stop doing it if I killed the browser and restarted the session (though it would eventually go back to doing this)
    After months and months of this happening here and there, I finally checked the event viewer, quick google came here. So if this does fix it, then I cannot express enough thanks 🙂

62. Mykola says:

Thank you a lot for this blog post. I started getting these errors on my Windows 10 x64 after Anniversary Update.
    Following your advice to switch off PCI Express > Link State Power Management resolved the issue.

63. Chev says:

You saved me. I was experiencing these exact same hangs. From the moment my computer booted up random applications would hang and interacting with windows explorer was hit or miss whether or not it would respond. If I waited 30 seconds or more it would always free up like nothing was wrong before going back to freezing again after a minute or two. I ran every diagnostic I could think of on every hardware component, most of which was brand new. Even though the diagnostic tool I ran to test my SSD said everything was healthy I still had this suspicion that it was the SSD drive based on the symptoms. I reinstalled windows completely and still had the issue so my next step was to bite the bullet and buy a new SSD drive. I had checked the event viewer a few times for system errors but never though much of this error until I checked it one last time and decided to google for it.

Thank you so much!