Test/Demo OpsMgr 2012 network monitoring with Jalasoft’s network device simulator

Testing the functionality of the network monitoring components of OpsMgr is pretty simple, when you have access to a lot of switch, router, and firewall equipment, and can get past the SNMP strings and access lists.  But what if you have this in a lab, and don’t have full access to all that equipment?

Simple – use the Jalasoft Xian SNMP Simulator V2 from http://www.jalasoft.com

The installation is simple, just run setup.  Soon you have the UI:

image

The trick is to install this application on some server or desktop that isn’t your OpsMgr server.  Then you will need to add an additional IP address for each network device you want to simulate (if you want multiple running at the same time)

image

Then – in DNS – add a static A record and a reverse PTR record for each IP, with a name:

image

Once you have these working (verify with a ping and ping –a) you can configure jalasoft.

Under Repository – select the device class, then the model, and click LOAD.

image

Right click under “Loaded dumps” – for the category and model you want to fire up, and choose “Simulate Device”

Pick the IP address for this device that you created a DNS entry for, and click OK.

image

Now right click the device, and choose START.  It will switch from “stopped” to “running”

At this point the device is up and running with SNMP.  It isn’t a full blown simulator that supports telnet, or running a fake OS, it is simply supporting SNMP capabilities similar to the actual device.  Now you can follow my walk-thru of discovering this network device using the name or IP:

image

image

Make sure you guys turn off the windows firewall on the management server doing discovery, or open the neccessary ports.

This is awesome :-) Will help to start evaluating the network monitoring capabilities.

Hello Kevin. I try to do that, but I have a problem. I install Jalasoft Xian SNMP Simulator V2 on standalone server. I added several IP address (192.168.0.50, 51…) in IP settings and A/PRT records in DNS. From SCOM server i can ping IP adress 192.168.0.50 and other. Then I create Run As account and Discovery Rules. After one or two miniets I see my network devices in Network Devices Pending Maangement. But all devices with Reason  No Response Ping. What can I do to resolve this issue?

4. Jason Schuster says:

This is gold…. My solution was a little more direct… I bought a Cisco switch off ebay for $50

5. Nice says:

Exactly what I was looking for.  All I can afford at the moment, too.

6. Donald D'souza says:

Hi Kevin

I am also having the same issue. I have installed the Jalasoft Xian SNMP Simulator V2. I have added the IP address and also A record in DNS. I am able to ping the IP address from SCOM server. But while running the network discovery network devices showing in Network Devices Pending Management with reason No Response Ping. Help us on this.

7. Yaniv Shmulevich says:

Hi Kevin, Hi All.

I followed instrauctions and done it successfully. The problem is that the device does not move to RUNNING. It is always in STOPPED position.

Any suggestions?

8. Howard Catling says:

Thanks for this Kevin!!!

Pingback from OpsMgr 2012 R2: first impressions??? : BPMi

Pingback from OpsMgr 2012 R2: first impressions??? : BPMi

Pingback from OpsMgr 2012 R2: first impressions??? : BPMi

Are you looking for a great free way to demonstrate how Oper …