How to monitor a service with unique names across multiple computers using a wildcard

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

Hello,

Many thanks for this publication, I just want to know if this might serve to add the newly created service as a component in a distributed application.

Thanks in advance

2. Kevin Holman says:

@Marlon – there is a link above which takes you right to the authoring console:  http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

I have a bit of a noob question. I have several systems that have multiple regisrty entries with multiple services associated. What I initially did was when I created the discovery (with only one class and one property) I added all the reg entries into the one discovery. Then I wildcarded the multiple services. Will that even work, or do I need to create a separate property, and discovery for each? Or can I just create a new discovery with each of the properties included? I'm thinking I would be able to add all of the properties to the discovery and then change the xml to reflect that. Or is that flawed?

Hi Kevin,

Tx for all your articles, they have been a  big help for me in using SCOM

I use SCOM2012(test environment) and SCOM2007 R2(production) but the only panes available in th Authoring Console for both the versions are :

Administration

Authoring

Monitoring

My Workspace

Reporting

How do I get the Health Model, Serivce Model and Type Library visible/imported/available in the Authoring console ??

Regards, Marlon

5. IcI says:

@Donked

I too would like to know the answer to that question.

Kevin's 2nd last paragraph (That’s all there is to it!  If you have more than one service, then you would use more than one class property using this technique…) states to use multiple classes. Does that not defeat the purpose of using wild cards?

6. Jon Sykes says:

Very nice article, thanks for taking the time to put this together.  Like anything you do it's thorough which is great.  I do prefer to use the Service template when possible to accomplish a task like this due to the fact it creates perf. collection rules for each discovered service.  This saves the author quite a bit of time.

7. Marlon H. says:

Happy new year to you Kevin, and the rest of the forum members.

Just returning from my holidays.

I will check the link, many thanks

8. Richard says:

Maybe a stupid question, but I get stuck with scom 2012…
    I want to do the same thing.. but… for instance the create class is nowhere to be found in 2012…… 🙁
    Any idea how to implement this in this version??

9. carsten says:

Thx a lot Kevin, the xml file saved me a lot of time !