How to collect performance data for SQL databases (multi-instance objects)

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Kevin Holman says:

@cMoLe –

Not in the performance collection rule itself natively.  You have two options:

1.  Collect both – then architect a custom report which collects both.

2.  Use a script to collect both values from WMI, do the math, then insert the information as a propertybag to a collection rule.

Option #1 might be challenging to get the right data all the time, and Option #2 will be resource intensive due to the number of DB's and scripts, and you have to be very careful with that route – not running it too frequently and learning how to make your custom script datasources support cookdown.

2. Kevin Holman says:

Like what?  Give me an example?

3. cMoLe says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the great post. Is there a way to combine the "Data File(s) Size (KB)" and the "Log File(s) Size (KB)" counters into one rule to get a more accurate data point for a databases size?

4. Apa says:

Kevin,

Any word about collecting DMV data?

5. Apa says:

Kevin,

Something like this:

Find Most Expensive Queries Using DMV

blog.sqlauthority.com/…/sql-server-find-most-expensive-queries-using-dmv

Generate alert is total_logical_reads exceed certain threshold.

It’s doable using SQL jobs easily.

Interesting to bring data into SCOM and correlate with something else to avoid false positives.

6. Daniel says:

Mhm this didn't work for me. Is there something like an error log? I see no counters in my performance view. I have an English SCOM Server and a German SQL Server 2005, is this a Problem? I also tried it with with the German Objectname ("Datenbanken instead of Databases") and Countername("Größe der Datendatei(en) (KB)" instead of "Data File(s) Size (KB)"), but it wont work. It would be helpful if there is something like an error log,… eventually somebody here got an idea.

7. Amar says:

I am using SCOM 2012  facing problem in performance counter monitoring, Problem is when performance counter is deleted SCOM console still shows healthy sate for that object.

8. Amar says:

I am using System.Performance.ThresholdMonitorType to monitor the performance counter.