OpsMgr 2007 SP1 cumulative rollup hotfix has shipped!

If you cannot or will not upgrade to OpsMgr 2007 R2 anytime soon – then this hotfix is for you!

Available at:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971541

This updates OpsMgr 2007 SP1 to 6.0.6278.100.  This is a rollup covering many new issues, plus most of the previously released critical hotfixes for OpsMgr.  I recommend this rollup hotfix for anyone running OpsMgr 2007 SP1 that doesn’t have very near term plans in place to upgrade to OpsMgr 2007 R2.

Overview

The Update Rollup for Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) combines previous hotfix releases for SP1 with additional fixes and support of SP1 roles on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. This update also provides database role and SQL Server Reporting Services upgrade support from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.
The Update Rollup includes updates for the following Operations Manager Roles:

• Root Management Server, Management Server, Gateway Server
  • Operations Console
  • Operations Management Web Console Server
  • Agent
  • Audit Collection Server (ACS Server)
  • Reporting Server

The following tools and updates are provided within this update which may be specific to a scenario:

• Support Tools folder – Contains SRSUpgradeTool.exe and SRSUpgradeHelper.msi (Enables upgrade of a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Server used by Operations Manager Reporting to SQL Server 2008 Reporting Server)
  • Gateway folder – Contains a MSI transform and script to update MOMGateway.MSI for successful installation on Windows Server 2008 R2
  • ManagementPacks folder – Contains an updated Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataWarehouse.mp which requires manual import

Feature Summary:

• Providing a rollup that supersedes nearly all SP1 binary hotfixes in a single package (~50 fixes) . See KB971541 for exceptions.
  • Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 – See KB974722 which will be updated to include data around the release of KB971541
  • Operational and DataWarehouse database support for upgrade to SQL 2008.
  • Additional stability hotfixes
  • SCCM Monitoring via our 64-bit agent in the latest SCCM MP. See the latest SCCM MP guide for details.
  • Exchange 2010 MP support
  • Fix for Ops console crashes seen on Vista and Windows 7

The Supported Configurations Guide  and Upgrade Guide have also been updated.

My experience upgrading a lab management group to the SP1 rollup:

First – I’d recommend making a plan…. like reading the KB article, known issues, and plan out the order of update operations.  The KB article dont specifically state a specific order, so I will probably do something like this:

• Root Management Server (includes web console)
  • all secondary Management Servers (includes any that are audit collectors)
  • SCOM Reporting Server
  • any stand alone OpsMgr consoles
  • Agents (both from pending and manually installed)

Ok – getting started…..

• COPY the SystemCenterOperationsManager2007-SP1-KB971541-X86-X64-IA64-ENU.MSI file locally to the RMS.
  • Run the update from the MSI – install to default locations
  • If executing on Windows Server 2008 – run the MSI from an elevated command prompt.
  • READ the release notes (you can copy these out to word to make them more readable
  • Note the new splash screen for this hotfix:

image

• We will “Run Server Update”
  • The hotfix installs with no further user interaction.
  • The installer will finish – you can click “Finish”.  However – another installer will kick off immediately afterward.  This is by design – documented in the release notes, and is for installing localization updates.  Then click “Finish” on the second update screen.
  • At this point, you can click “Exit” on the Software Update splash screen.
  • Continue applying the updates to the different roles – as documented in the release notes.

Some interesting things you might notice:

We actually clean up all the old hotfixes from the agent files – and move them to the root of \AgentManagement folder:

image

This is good – we wont try and re-apply them to subsequent agent installs/updates.  Now – there will be two new hotfix files in the \x86, \AMD64, and \ia64 folders:

image

These include the agent hotfix update, plus a localization update which will vary based on your localization settings.

As for double-checking the update applied successfully – you can add “File Version” column to windows Explorer:

image

You will notice several management packs got updated in the console:

image

***Note – per the release notes and KB article

Import the following management pack from the ManagementPacks folder:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataWarehouse.Reports.MP

The location is a bit confusion – the full path would be:  \Program Files\System Center 2007 Hotfix Utility\KB971541\ManagementPacks\

You can import this at any time… I’d recommend importing this after you are done updating all the server roles, including reporting.

In the console – you will also note that any agents that were not manually installed – will require an agent update.  I would hold off updating any agents until your management group server roles are fully updated, and then only update around 200 agents at a time.  This process will cause significant database and management server activity – so I’d advise doing the agent updates during off-peak use hours for large management groups:

image

• Next – I update my management servers, including any that run ACS (have a special ACS update for those too in the Hotfix installer splash screen)

• Next up – reporting:

image

• I kick this off on the SRS/SCOM Reporting server.  Not prompted for anything… it completes in seconds.

• Next on the list – update agents.  They all updated just fine via pending actions except for one…. this happens to be the same server that is hosting the OpsDB.  Interesting.  I got the following error:

The MOM Server failed to perform specified operation on computer DB.opsmgr.net.

Operation: Agent Install

Install account: OPSMGR\localadmin

Error Code: 8007064A

Error Description: The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.

This turned out to be due to some bad data in my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\C9A0067E2876122489E4BA987C08CDD2\Patches\Patches REG_MULTI_SZ value.  I am not sure how this got messed up – probably due to me testing a bunch of SP1 hotfixes previously and fat fingering a registry edit – so I would not assume this will be a common error.  Once I fixed this registry entry – this agent updated just fine as well.

How can I be sure all my agents got updated?

One of the simplest ways – is to look at the “Patchlist” column on a Health Service State view.  Create a new State View in “My Workspace”.  Target “Health Service”:

image

On the Display Tab – select only Name, and Patch List:

image

Voila!

image

@Albert –

If you add a new MS – yes – you must update that MS to the current patchlevel/CU that your other servers are on…. they will not get the update automatically/magically.  🙂

This is trying to update the web.config file for the web console and failing.  Are you using the web console?  Does it work?

In the past – we used to have the customer uninstall the web console, then apply the hotfix – then reinstall the web console, and re-apply the hotfix.  I am not saying that is the best route for this – you would probably need to open a case on this issue with PSS for deeper troubleshooting.

30GB? <gasp> Our DB is about 110GB for _less_ than 150 agents. It was setup by an old employee as a quick POC then as most POCs, got deployed into production so there are probably 50 thousand different things not correctly configured.

We’re planning on taking a fresh look with a from-scratch R2 deployment. Your large table query has my attention, I’ll go read up on it. 🙂 If you ever wanted to take a look at this mess first hand and write a "how not to deploy scom in a hurry" blog entry, we have plenty of PSS support & product assistance hours to burn. 😉 I could send my contact info your way if kevinhol is your ms alias. Either way, thanks again for your time. 🙂

I cant say for sure – but most of the time this is caused by not following instructions to the letter.

Is your RMS clustered or not clustered?  Did you start with the RMS?  Is the RMS 2003 or 2008?  If 2008 did you open a command prompt AS AN ADMINISTRATOR and then call the MSI?  Did you install the MSI to the default location of C:Program FilesSystem Center Hotfix Utility ?  Did you leave the splash screen open…. and let the hotfix utility install the updates… and not try to run the MSP manually?  Did you make sure and not jump ahead and close the splash screen early while the install was happening?  Did you manually refresh the console to make sure the MP version just doesnt show updated because you are viewing cached data?

You can try to run the setup program again on the RMS – and see if you can get it to work correctly.  I dont know a supported to exctract these MP’s manually.  If this process failed – there may be other processes that also failed – so I would re-run the update on the RMS.

The KB appeared to apply successfully, but the MPs still end in mostly .0 and not .100 as you show above. Can they be extracted and imported manually from the MSI somehow? The DW MP did import manually just fine afterwards.

I agree – unfortunately our "install failed/interrupted" screens look and feel identical to our "installed successfully" screens.

Glad you got it.

The opsDB filling up???  How big is it?  Most of the time when the DB is full – thats REALLY bad – because we REQUIRE 40% free space in the DB at all times.  If it is filling up you are way past that and in unsupported territory.  Most of the time when a DB is full – it is due to overcollection/retention of something.  I keep HUGE customers with thousands of agents to a DB size (used) of less than 15GB, and 30GB overall size.  Have you run my large table query to see whats taking up the space?

Shoot me an email – kevinhol is my alias.

I dont know of one.  Basically – just look on the RMS OpsMgr event log for errors writing/requesting MP list from the reportserver.  If there are no errors, and any new MP’s can successfully deploy reports – im sure you are fine.

I think I found the issue. I went through the installer log and it looks like the SQL DB might be full, which is a problem we’ve been having lately (wanting for more SAN space to be allocated). That would definitely kill an MP import portion.

But…

RMS is 2003 non-clustered. I extracted to the default directory, ran through the first installer, it let finish, said no to the restart, it automatically kicked off the 2nd and 3rd updates as the release notes said it would.

I opened the console using the option to flush the cache upon opening to make sure I didn’t see old data.

I restarted the RMS and re-ran it again using the instructions to a T. It failed during the second or third installer after I saw "Loading management packs….", then said it was interrupted before it could finish and "The software update did not apply successfully" evne though in the end it said the hotfix did apply successfully.

You can see it fail in the event log.

———-

1st entry:

Product: System Center Operations Manager 2007 – Update ‘KB971541-ENU’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file <file name/path>

2nd entry:

Product: System Center Operations Manager 2007 — Configuration failed.

3rd entry:

Product: System Center 2007 Hotfix Utility — Configuration completed successfully.

———–

The DB space issue is probably it (The DLLs on the server are all .100) so I’ll fix that and try again. A visual queue might be handy from the installer to say "hey bozo, we couldn’t import your MPs, go fix something!" 🙂

Thanks, Kevin.

Re: manually installed agents:

I dont know – I havent tested that one…. normally there is only one hotfix update to apply.  I will try to find out…  and will report back here if I get an answer.

@Albert – Option number 1 is what I would do.

Install a new MS, update the new MS to current patchlevel (KB971541 and KB2028594).

Reporting move is a different operation.  I would simply move the reporting role per the guides, then update to current patchlevel (KB971541)

Re:  Updating computers with the console:

You will probably need to uninstall the agent, update the console, then install the agent…. that is typical for updates like this… espically service packs, which update multiple roles.

@Odnap –

Patchlist will not be updated for ANY agent that is in Maintenance Mode – and this is by design.  When the full agent is in maintenance mode – rules, monitors, discoveries, recoveries, diagnostics, all unload and do not run.  The Patchlist is a discovered property of a class populated by a discovery.  This discovery will not run if the agent is in MM.

manual trackback :

Perfekt and thanks for the quick guide for install.

15. Jack says:

This has been very helpful, I appreciate the assistance!

16. Sam says:

Followed the instruction/guide to the T and i get an error message. The RMS server (2008 SP2) was the first one i tried to update (via elevated CMD) and the installation failed with the below error.

Error 1723. there is a problem with this windows installer package.

A dll required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact you

support personnel or package vendor.

Looking in the eventviewer, there was a bit more info :

Action_ChangeAuthenticationConfig.2FD07918_9082_437D_99BC_FD43602A4625, entry: ChangeAuthenticationConfig, library: C:WindowsInstallerMSIDA8C.tmp

Have you come across this issue before?

Thanks

17. ScottieH says:

Kevin – Is there any trick to applying the update on machines with the ops console installed?     I tried applying the update on our operationDB server, which also has the console installed, by selecting the "Update Server" option in the hotfix splash screen.

I received the following windows installer popup error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.   Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

The actual agent updated fine on this box, but I can’t figure out how to get the console updated.

Scott…

18. Stephan says:

I can’t install the post SP1-Roll-up. I get the following error:

Property(C): SQLServerNotFoundDlg_Title = Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 or higher not found

Property(C): SQLServerNotFoundDlg_Desc = The Operations Manager 2007 database component requires Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 or later. The selected instance does not have the correct version. To continue setup, go back and choose custom setup and unselect the database component or select a different instance or upgrade the selected instance to the correct version.

Property(C): SQLServicesErrDlg_Title = Setup failed to start Microsoft SQL Server services

Property(C): SQLServicesErrDlg_Desc = The Operations Manager 2007 setup failed to start the Microsoft SQL server services. To continue setup, go back and choose a different instance or start the SQL Server services for the selected instance.

Property(C): SQLServerInstanceDlg_Note = Note: Setup will automatically start the Microsoft SQL Server service if it is not running.

Which is odd, cause i have SQL 2005 with SP3.

Has anyone got the same problem?

19. Michael Christiansen says:

Hi Kevin,

Great blog you have here.

regarding the patch, im in the process of installing this on our 1500 manually installed agents, is there an easy way to autodeploy these patches without the need to manually install the hotfix utility and clicking trough the guide?

My plan is to copy the two agent files out to the servers(for x64: KB971541-x64-Agent and KB971541-x64-ENU-Agent)

and then run the -ENU file with /silent

we have done this on the old patches, but will this work on this one?

20. Heriberto C says:

I ran into a problem installing the patch on the reporting server.  The install log had the following entry:  REPORT_SERVER_FULL_HTTP_PATH_VALID=0

I followed the instructions in KB Article 922656 and that took care of the problem.

Do you think this will have any adverse effects on the reporting services?

21. Michael says:

Hi – I’m running into the occasional problem when accepting the installation of the client. Seems to be with server 2008 file servers so far.

When installing the client update various services are restarted.  The ‘server’ service has failed to restart on 2 (out of around 50) occasions now – resulting in a restart of the server.

I think we’ll complete the installation during quieter periods.

22. AlanZ says:

Hi Kevin, do you know if the hotfixes in this rollup that were not included in R2 will be released in a rollup for R2 ?

23. LisaL says:

I am still having trouble discovering Windows Server R2 64 bit computers even with all installed as shown here? I am using an admin acct and there are no firewalls or virus scanning active. At one point the computers were recogized and the agent install failed but now I am back the discovery wizard failing at the first step asking if I am an admin.

24. Chris says:

Thanks for the great instruction. Very helpful. However, I am not able to get the patch installed on my ACS server. I am running it as Administrator from an elevated DOS prompt in the location where the file was extracted.

SetupUpdateOM.exe /x64.msp:KB974144-x64.msp /acs

I am getting an error message "Software update failed, either patch file is not provided or it does not exist". Just for the fun of it I also tried this for the x86 file, but got the same error message. Everything has been extracted from the file to the working directory.

Windows 2008 64Bit | ACS 2007 R2

Any ideas?

25. Jerry says:

Yes, I have the same issue of "Error 1723"." there is a problem with this windows installer package.A dll required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact you support personnel or package vendor."

So I tried to remove the Web Console. But there 's another issue – It won't let me to modify and remove it, the error message is:

ASP.NET cannot be validated. Please verify you have ASP.NET 2.0 installed and is working fine.</Description><Resolution>ASP.NET cannot be validated. Please verify you have ASP.NET 2.0 installed and is working fine.

I tried many times to reinstall IIS7 and Dotnet, and register ASP.NET 2.0 by running "C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v2.0.50727>aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable" as recommended by many people. But the remove will never bypass the prereq for ASP.NET2.0.

Finnaly I made it by running from the DOS prompt, MsiExec.exe /I{FFE5E6FD-E530-4C66-9917-55D369AAE0D4}. This is what I got from Registry for "modify" installation of SCOM2007. It worked!!! It will not ask for ASP.NET2.0 any more – Web Console being removed and Hotfix 971541 could be installed!

26. Odnap says:

Hi Kevin,

We are having challenges on displaying the patch list for OpsMgr 2007 SP1. The log says it is successfully installed but it doesnt shows any patchlist for this particular computer. We have followed the procedure in showing the patch list installed and other server/computer shows the patch installed on them but for this particular server, it does not show anything. Is there a way to force OpsMgr to show the patch list installed on all computers? Does it matter if i installed the agent when the target server is in 'maintenance' mode? Thank you.

27. Albert says:

Hi Kevin,

Do we have to also apply both updates: kb971541 and kb202859 AFTER we had them already installed on our current servers and now we introduce one more management server. I mean, do we need to run those upgrades for that new server, and later this server will be hosting Reporting server role – so do we need also apply kb971541 update for that role?

28. Albert says:

Hi Kevin,

Does those upgrades KB971541 and KB2028594 need to be installed for every newly introduced Management server, and every new/transferred role (like Reporting Server)?

Thanks,

Albert

29. Albert says:

Sure – thanks Kevin,

But what order would you apply?

1) KB971541 and KB2028594 on the new MS and then after moving/installing Reporting Server role "KB971541 for Reporting"

OR

2) KB971541 for MS then moving/installing Reporting Server role and then "KB971541 for Reporting", and finally KB2028594.

BTW: Congrats on your new role, we all hope (OpsMgr Admins) that you will be still actively posting on the subject 🙂

30. Albert says:

Hello again Kevin,

I tested in my dev env. the first option and I was not successful.

When I run “KB971541 for Reporting” I got the following errors:

– “The setup wizard was interrupted before Operations Manager 2007 could be installed.”

And when clicked "Finish" the next one is:

“The program failed to update Software Update. Please check the patch file is present in the patch folder and proper version of MOM is installed on the machine.”

Note the second part of the sentence: I suspect the installator detects that KB2028594 was already installed. Any thoughts?

PS. I obviously verified the 2 installations/upgrades following your 2 posts and everything seemed to be fine.

31. aenagy says:

(1) How would you automate/script the install of this update? The manual method for SCOM infrastructure is a do-able, but updating 2000 agents is impractical.

(2) My other question is how to deploy to RMS on MSCS. I am finding that if I install on the active node I get errors about not being able to stop services and it fails (only one update shows up in Add/Remove Programs) *and* insists on a reboot. If I install on the passive node I get warnings about not being able to start services, but it seems to complete without insisting on a reboot.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?