Updated Active Directory ADMP Management Pack released – Version 6.0.7065.0

This is now available on the catalog.

Changes in this update:

• Support for monitoring Windows Server® 2008 R2 server operating systems as well as Windows® 7 client operating systems
  • Support for monitoring the Active Directory Web Service (ADWS) in Windows Server 2008 R2 as well as the Active Directory Management Gateway Service in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003

There were a few other minor fixes as well, such as the AD LSASS CPU overload monitor.  This release also replaces a recently released ADMP version 6.0.7050.0 that was pulled to fix the aforementioned monitor.

1. Kevin Holman says:

I strongly advise against using the console to download MP’s.  While this is a neat "whiz bang" feature… I consider it a worst practice – for a few reasons.  I almost wish this functionality wasnt in the console… and they would just have developed the MP notifier like we used to have in MOM 2005.

First – you should download the MSI from the catalog – and extract it on disk – to have a copy of the guide and MP’s for that specific version.  This allows you to keep a folder of ALL your MP’s, and historical versions and guides.  This helps if you need to revert to an older MP that is no longer available.

Second – and more critical – it is a best practice to read the MP guide in entirety – BEFORE importing an update.  This makes sure you understand the requirements documented in the "before you import" section of each guide.

Lastly – some MP’s ship with unsealed MP’s for specific reasons (exchange 2007) and unsealed MP’s are not shipped via the direct download function – so you will be missing MP’s without knowing it.

All said…. I advise my customers NEVER to use this functionality – and to always download and extract the MSI, for these reasons.

2. Kevin Holman says:

Are you downloading these MP’s and importing using the console – or are you downloading the MSI from the catalog – extracting them… and then importing them from disk?

3. b17776 says:

I imported the active directory MP Version 6.0.7065.0. But the AD LSASS CPU overload monitor doesn’t function correctly. It shows often CPU Utilization > 100%
    Somebody an idea to fix this problem?

4. Kevin Holman says:

@b17776 –

I think we have an open bug on this…. I gave an example on how to fix this here, write your own monitor for it:

5. Amaury Greiner says:

Hm, it seems that the recently published MPs have a Problem in beeing updated over the SCOM R2 Console (update functionality) – The first attempt fails on several MP components, the 2n/3rd succeeds. Did someone face this issue in his/her enviroment? Any comments on this would be great.

Regards,

Amaury Greiner

6. Amaury Greiner says:

Thanks for your reply.

I am downloading & importing directly using the console.

Regards, Amaury Greiner

7. Amaury Greiner says:

Thanks Kevin, I’ll try to put it into practice!

8. Amnon says:

Do not "try", do it :-). I followed Kevin’s advice, and we save what I call frustration time following this advice and reading through. One MP was not imported, and we later read it was a good idea. I do not specifically remember which one it was, and in a addition I would also run an exclusive backup prior of any import. I would do SQL to file if possible, existing MP export to files, and the Ops registry keys in both HKLM and HKCU.