Alert Notification Subscription Variables, and linking that to the console, database, and SDK

Attached you will find a spreadsheet, with all the possible alert notification subscription variables that I am aware of.  In this spreadsheet, I link these to the same values in the Alert table of the DB, the alert view of the DB, the Console alert view, the SDK (Get-Alert), and lastly the new R2 Connector Key pairs.

My thought was to better understand each data property type of an alert, and what you can managed, from each area.  Hope this is beneficial.

Most of these are listed at my other blog post on alert description and notification variables:

Here is a sample shot of the spreadsheet tool:

See attached:

Alert Properties Notification Subscription Variable Master Table_v1.xlsx

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Sekhar –

Yes, if there is any value in the workflow runtime context, you can add this to the alert custom field when alert is generated.

2. ynm.Yousaf says:

Very useful information Kevin.

Question however, Do you know of anyway to get a Servers AD Description field to display in an alert?

3. Kevin Holman says:

In SQL:

select DisplayName, name, description
    from ruleview
    where name like ‘subscription%’

select DisplayName, name, description
    from ruleview
    where name like ‘Subscription0091a017_6a16_4948_b58d_64fa450c8494’

In posh:

Get-SCOMNotificationSubscription | FT displayname,name

4. Marnix Wolf says:

Thanks for this information Kevin.

5. Drew says:

Any idea how to add the other items available in the alert itself, such as NetbiosComputerName, etc. for notifications?  I don’t see them on the spreadsheet so I assume they are not native.

6. JOBBO says:

I have same situation as Marnix, we use SCOM to send email alert notification, but details in notification is not practical.

Generally in most company, we need basic information such as…

Hostname : only NetBIOS name, not current path name as SCOM using

IPv4 : should be very common value to scope and identify target monitoring.

GroupName: In the real world, most company categorized group of servers rely on project, or production role, not group by Microsoft product.

for example, CRM system group, Call Center Group, Web frontend, Web backend.

this is very useful information to put in alert SMS or Email notification,

I think SCOM already have information above, but I have to use a lot of effort created PowerShell script.

I don't understand why this expensive product make it too complicated.

7. Tom Schworetzky says:

Great information that will help in the development of interface programs to process the UNC XML documents.

8. Neil Harrison says:

Great job Kevin.  This is very useful information.

9. Sekhar says:

Dear All,

I have question for you, In Alert Fields, we have Customer Fields right Can i Assign Performance Counter Value to them

Let Say For Performance : context_PctUsage we will get this value can i assign this ? to custom Fields ?

10. MitraK says:

Any idea How to find subscripton details from below ID ?
    SCOM – Notification subsystem failed to send notification over ‘Smtp’ protocol to ‘’. Rule id: Subscription0091a017_6a16_4948_b58d_64fa450c8494.

11. Mitrak says:

Thanks Kevin

12. Ramkumar says:

For Aggregate Rollup Monitor what is the Variable Event description if there are two unit monitors in it.

13. Vinayak_Giri says:

Thanks for this useful information Kevin,

"$Data/Context/DataItem/ManagedEntity$" is useful in alerts related data but I want to use it in a task. All I wanted is when I select any object in SCOM and select a task (PowerShell) then it should send the OID of the selected object as a parameter. I am
    not able to find any class which has this IOD as property.

Please help me to get this selected object OID as parameter.

14. Amol says:

Hi Kevin,

If I want to monitor the availability from the runbook designer ..what parameter or ID I need to select?

15. Amar says:

Hi Kevin,
    I have a subscription, which has multiple subscribers. Is it possible to have names/list of all the subscribers appear in the alert notification email sent by the subscription?

1. Kevin Holman says: