Getting lots of Script Failed To Run alerts? WMI Probe Failed Execution? Backward Compatibility Script Error?

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Kevin Holman says:

Larry – did you read my section on how to troubleshoot these?

Have you discovered a pattern?

What is a health VBS?  Can you give some examples of exact script names?

Did you have high repeat counts, or low?  Is WMI healthy on the server?

Have you updated the hotfixes I mentioned on 2003?

I cant tell what steps you have taken to troubleshoot these, or specifically what scripts and repeat counts from your post.  I’ll try to help if I can.

I have some machines that run very heavy processes for several hours each day.  I have noticed those machines report many of these errors, more of the script failures than WMI issues, and they are all time stamped during the heavy resource use times.  Is there a way to keep the scripts and WMI queries from running while the server is low on available resources to see if this quiets down the failures?

Great Post, Thanks!

3. Kevin Holman says:

James – I would run a procmon and capture the cscript.exe processes and scripts they are running, and record what scripts are running, and when.  Armed with this data – it would help you solve the problem, as you might not even need all that stuff running all the time, or as frequent.

Additionally, you could place the instances of classes which have script workflows targeting them, into scheduled maintenance mode, for the known busy periods, accepting the fact that whatever these scripts do – they wont be doing, during these busy times.

Hi keven, it's my first time on your awsome blog. (excuse my poor english, i'm French  Canadian)

I know this is a pretty old post, but i was wondering if there is any fix for those types of errors for 64bits OS Windows Server 2008 sp2.

The 5 alerts above are also the top 5 of my site. I monitor a lot of 2008 windows servers.

Thanks.

5. Kevin Holman says:

Click the "show for all platforms" in the download – there is one for x86 and one for x64.

6. Kevin Holman says:

Hi Patrick –

The fixes are the same for any OS – look at the alert – what the alert description describes as the reason, then look at how often it is happening.  From this – you should be able to determine if this is a transient issue, or an indication of a serious server health problem where scripts aren't running, or WMI is unhealthy.

7. Kevin Holman says:

@Ted –

I seriously doubt these alerts themselves can have THAT much impact on overall SCOM performance.  I have been talking with the product group on this topic – and there are some enhancements scheduled that will quiet these down and reduce the alert traffic for this stuff in OM12.

That said – there is no magic bullet.  MOST of the time – there is a problem with Cscript or WMI.  You can start by applying the hotfixes mentioned in this article – then attacking the ones that are really high repeat counts.  Most of the time its WMI.  My thought process – is create a monitor that runs a script that executes a WMI query.  If the output does not equal whats expected – then turn monitor red….. WMI is busted.  Something simple like that will help a lot more than all these misc errors.

Again – focus on high repeat count ones first….

8. Maurice says:

Thanx for this post. I’m going to try this. This needs a couple of days to find out if it work.

9. Mark Liu says:

Hi Kevin,

I got quite a lot alerts for "Script or Executable Failed to run" on almost every server. there are two types of such alert, please see below –

The process started at 5:11:48 PM failed to create System.Discovery.Data, no errors detected in the output. The process exited with 4294967295 Command executed: "C:WINNTsystem32cscript.exe" /nologo "GetServerNames.vbs" {A18B826D-DFA9-DC21-F94C-68A8A95ADD4C} {86302D45-B0E8-BD9E-F57C-1580AC05ADEB} deuntp008.wwy.wrigley.net Working Directory: C:Program FilesSystem Center Operations Manager 2007Health Service StateMonitoring Host Temporary Files 1581517 One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.Sharepoint.Server.2007.MOSS.Server.Discovery Instance name: DEUNTP008 Instance ID: {86302D45-B0E8-BD9E-F57C-1580AC05ADEB} Management group: MSMOM

The Event Policy for the process started at 8:07:43 PM has detected errors in the output. The ‘StdErr’ policy expression: a+ matched the following output: C:Program FilesSystem Center Operations Manager 2007Health Service StateMonitoring Host Temporary Files 33433Collect_Server_Information.vbs(328, 3) Active Directory: An invalid directory pathname was passed Command executed: "C:WINNTsystem32cscript.exe" /nologo "Collect_Server_Information.vbs" cnguap013 Working Directory: C:Program FilesSystem Center Operations Manager 2007Health Service StateMonitoring Host Temporary Files 33433 One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Collect_Server_Information Instance name: cnguap013 Instance ID: {F949270A-16BA-29B1-428F-63BCB20BA774} Management group: MSMOM

So I think it’s impossible for me to install the hotfix for all server, it may be something I can do on SCOM2007 SP1?

10. Larry says:

I get quite a few of these as well, even after R2 was installed; 2003 as well as 2008 servers. Most of them seem to be related to Health VBS scripts.

Does anybody have any ideas to get these corrected?

Is this indicative of a true server performance issue or a matter of how the MPs were written? If it’s the MPs, I would have expected that MS to have known about this and corrected it by now.

11. JD says:

Is it just me, or does the hotfix ONLY apply to i386? How can I update WSH to version 5.7 for 64bit OS Windows 2003?

12. Pmatthews says:

Awesome document! I merely stumbled upon this. I don't know how many searches I have done on WMI issues and came up with completely trivial responses "Restart WMI", Reboot the system" etc. The explanation of how to test proved to be a huge help and teh Registry mods I've never seen before in any documentation.

13. Ted T Hacker says:

Kevin, this is right on and it helps to have the process roughed in.

Is there a script one could run on the ill server which would either fix or at least diagnose the problem?  I have too many agents with these sorts of errors to fix them by hand.

The flow of these events into our scom environment is affecting the overall performance of SCOM.  Fixing the individual problem servers is an ongoing and apparently never ending process.  Is there a way to set the event collection to do it less frequently or to summarize the data flowing into SCOM?  I am considernig disabling the "Collect WMI Probe Module Events" rule.  What kinds of reports, rules, monitors, etc. would "break" if the event data stops flowing in?

14. SA says:

Can anyone help me in creating simple (basic) SCOM monitor or rule using WMI event alert as every time i try to make one it fails .

A basic WMI query is requested

15. Nicole Welch says:

Can we create a WMI health monitor to clearly idently the root cause?  And then ideally suppress the other alerts….

16. John Curtiss says:

Kevin,

i'm getting "Module was unable to execute the notification query" every 5.5 minutes on all my 2008 R2 management servers. no detail other than the below. thoughts?

Module was unable to execute the notification query.

Error: 0x80041010

Details: Invalid class

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: many

Source: Health Service Modules

Event Number: 10363

Level: 2

Logging Computer: SRV10P120.ad.int.kkh.de

User: N/A

Description:

Das Modul konnte die WMI-Daten nicht auflisten. Fehler: 0x80041032 Details: Call cancelled Mindestens ein Workflow ist hiervon betroffen. Workflowname: Microsoft.Windows.2008.Cluster.NetworkInterface.StateMonitoring Instanzname: Private Cluster Network Instanz-ID: {7FEC9A23-1B0A-522A-BCF5-D32F69BA1E7B} Verwaltungsgruppe: MGKKH

Event Data:

< DataItem type =" System.XmlData " time =" 2013-03-12T14:30:29.4768481+01:00 " sourceHealthServiceId =" 7DCE0BA6-1903-23B9-676B-C9592B9E07DB " >

< EventData >

< Data > MGKKH </ Data >

< Data > Microsoft.Windows.2008.Cluster.NetworkInterface.StateMonitoring </ Data >

< Data > Private Cluster Network </ Data >

< Data > {7FEC9A23-1B0A-522A-BCF5-D32F69BA1E7B} </ Data >

< Data > 0x80041032 </ Data >

< Data > Call cancelled </ Data >

</ EventData >

</ DataItem >

Do you have any idea. Repeat count is 25 until yet.

Thanks and regards.

18. SCE sucks says:

Same Problem on 2008 R2.

19. Steve Harris says:

See
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/01/27/which-hotfixes-should-i-apply.aspx for Common related Windows Operating System Hotfixes:
    2954185, 2790831, 2692929, 2547244 etc

20. NarenSV says:

It would be great, if we can have the latest/updated info for the same issues on SCOM 2012 SP1

Comments are closed.