Web Application recorder R2 – the recorder bar missing in IE?

Sometimes getting the web application recorder to capture a web session can be a little tricky.  I have blogged about some typical issues you might run into HERE

Something I noticed today, with R2:

When running the R2 console on an x64 machine – the web recorder bar is not coming up.

On my x86 machine – it was working just fine, however.  I notice – when I go into IE settings, Tools, Manage Add-ons….. I see this on a working machine:

image

However – these add-ons are missing on my x64 based consoles.

The problem turned out to be…. that when you install the console on an x64 machine, it registers the x64 version of these add-ons.  However – the IE browser launched by default by hitting “Start Capture”, is the x86 version.  You have to manually launch the x64 IE shortcut – in order to use the web recorder browser.

So here are some steps to make this work:

1.  Open the web application editor

2.  Hit “Start Capture”

3.  This will launch Internet Explorer in 32 bit mode.  Close this browser.

4.  From the start menu, run Internet Explorer (64-bit)

5.  The web recorder will appear.  (If not – choose View > Explorer Bars > Web Recorder)

From there you can record your session, hit stop, and it will populate the web application tool as normal.  Just a minor inconvenience of closing one browser, and opening another.

This is amazing! Thankyou again!! Never would have found this out in a thousand years!!

John Bradshaw

2. Kevin Holman says:

@Damian –

Great tip – I have seen other post that workaround and really like it.  Been meaning to add it to this blog.

1. Eyal says:

Hi,
      scom 2016,win 2016,IE11 . The web recorder windows is open but the buttons are missing .
      Try all the workaround without success.
      Do you have another idea ?
      Thanks.
      Eyal

3. Kevin Holman says:

@DSF –

IE10 is not supported for web application recorder.  This was documented in the release notes:

technet.microsoft.com/…/jj656651.aspx

AAAARGHHH!!!

I have opened a case in Microsoft for this issue but i’m still waiting for a solution… you are great!

Many thanks!!!

5. e commerce web development says:

Hi,

Nice post.I was searching this solution.I will do it and will reply you.

Thanks very much

6. Romel rodriguez says:

Excelent!!

I was thinking this does not work , but thanks for this tip

Greetings

7. Dave says:

Why wouldn’t MS have this in their doc.  Thanks for the tip!

8. Jeff25 says:

I have been able to open the web recorder by following the steps but the buttons are greyed out and the message "The Web Recorder must be launched from within System Center Operations Manager" appears under the buttons.  Thus, I am still unable to use it to record a web session.  Any ideas?

9. jeremy says:

I am having the same issue as Jeff – i see greyed out buttons only and a notification that the recorder must be launched from within scom.

any help is greatly appreciated!

10. rdfuhr says:

I was having the exact issue running Win 7 x64 trying to test websites monitoring using SCOM.  Thanks for the fix!

11. Damian says:

The issue can be resolved partly by changing the default behavior of your IE window.  You can make a registry change to tell IE to open in 64 bit more automatically.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsIEXPLORE.EXE]

@="C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

"Path"="C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer;"

should be

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsIEXPLORE.EXE]

@="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

"Path"="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;"

12. DSF says:

I am having the same problems. Running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 64bit.

Upgraded to IE10 from IE9 and the Web recorder add on disappeared. See only the Web Recorder Helper 10 add on but no actual Web Recorder ?  I have repaired VS2012 Ultimate, edited registry and removed the keys for IE as per another thread HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerDiscardablePostSetupComponent Categories{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerDiscardablePostSetupComponent Categories{00021494-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

I have checked the registry and confirmed that IE is firing up as 64 bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsIEXPLORE.EXE]

@="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

"Path"="C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;"

I have also disabled IE enhanced security and restarted IE & VS2012 even rebooted but I still cannot get the Web Recorder to show in IE10 when creating a new or editing an existing web script.

Really frustrating and any other tips/tricks would be appreciated.

13. shawan says:

Same issue as DSF . But I am using IE 11 and server 2012

14. vit says:

does this work with IE11? I can see and have enabled the add on, but its not show up no matter what i do does not show up. neither its one of the toolbar options in the view menu

15. Dan_IT says:

How can we get this to work on Server 2012 R2…IE always opens in 32 bit mode. Can’t SCOM be updated to work with the 32 bit version?

16. ExchAdminInd says:

This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for sharing good post, I just subscribe your blog!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.killermobile.totalrecall>recording app

17. Neetu Verma says:

Great post!! You have a very inspiring way of exploring and sharing your thoughts. i like it.!! recording app

18. Eyal says:

Hi,
    Work with IE 11.The web recorder buttons is missing .