Which hotfixes should I apply?

This is updated as of 3-17-2016

In general – you should evaluate all hotfixes available, and only apply those applicable to your environment.  However, some of these below I have seen impact almost every environment, and should be heavily considered.

This list is nothing official…. this is just a general list of the recommended hotfixes I end up proactively applying to most environments…. it is not a complete list of ALL hotfixes, and you may be affected by other issues.

Common OpsMgr 2012 R2 updates:

This list ABSOLUTELY assumes you are at OpsMgr 2012 R2 level as a base. (7.1.10226.0)

Hotfix Update Files Resolves
Applies to: Comments
3129774

UR9 for 2012 R2

OpsMgr 2012 R2 Update Rollup 9

Many updates. See KB article for all.

MS
GW
Agents
Console
WebConsole
MP Import
SQL scripts
See the KB and blog article

Common OpsMgr 2012 SP1 updates:

This list ABSOLUTELY assumes you are at OpsMgr 2012 SP1 level as a base (7.0.9538.0).

Hotfix Update Files Resolves
Applies to: Comments
3071088

UR10 for 2012 SP1

OpsMgr 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 10

Many updates. See KB article for all.

MS
GW
Agents
Console
WebConsole
MP Import
ACS
SQL script
This should be applied after installing SP1, as it has some critical fixes.  See the KB article – do not apply it immediately after installing SP1.

Common related Windows Operating System Hotfixes:

This list is not sorted by OS or anything special – just a collection of OS related hotfixes that SCOM might require, or might fix an issue with the OS that impacts OpsMgr.  These can apply to OpsMgr 2012, 2007R2, or 2007SP1 environments.

Hotfix Resolves
Applies to: Comments
.NET 4.5.1 Config issues with Delta and Snapshot failures Windows Server 2012 If your management servers are running Windows 2012 RTM (non R2) then you MUST upgrade .NET to 4.5.1 or 4.5.2.  This will resolve a problem seen in larger environments where Snapshot and Delta Config fail due to timeouts.
2954185 Memory leak in WMIPRVSE.exe caused by monitoring DNS.  Agent role
Server 2012 R2
I recommend this hotfix on all Windows Server 2012 R2 DNS servers that are monitored using the DNS management pack, or any type of monitoring which leverages the DNS PowerShell providers.  The leak is caused by accessing the DNS PowerShell providers, which scripts will often call.
2923126 Agents on Windows 2012 R2 Domain Controllers can stop responding or heart-beating Agent role
Server 2012 R2
Windows 8.1
I recommend this hotfix on all Windows Server 2012 R2 servers that are experiencing this issue, or proactively on any WS2012R2 domain controller.
2790831 Handle leak in WmiPrvSE.exe process on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 Agent role
Management Server

Server 2012
Windows 8
I recommend this hotfix to stop the handle leak that WILL occur without it.
2878378 OpsMgr 2012 or OpsMgr 2007 R2 generates a “Heartbeat Failure” message and then goes into a greyed out state in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Agent Role
Management Server

Server 2008R2 SP1
I recommend this hotfix on all 2008R2 SP1 agents.  This helps resolve a slow memory leak in private bytes as well.
2692929 “0x80041001” error when the Win32_Environment WMI class is queried by multiple requestors in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 Agent role
Server 2008R2 SP1
I recommend this hotfix for Server 2008 R2 SP1 machines that also host a ConfigMgr 2007 role, and you are using the ConfigMgr MP.  This fixes an annoying issue
2618982
Memory leak occurs when monitoring IIS.  The IIS MP discovery modules leverage the same function called out in the KB.  This causes a memory leak in Monitoringhost.exe over time on IIS servers, especially when using APM in OpsMgr 2012. Any OpsMgr Agent Managed or Server role running IIS on Server 2008 R2 SP1 I recommend this hotfix to be applied to any Server 2008R2 SP1 OS, if it is agent managed and has IIS installed.
2547244 The WMI service and the WMI providers stop responding when you use WMI performance classes to monitor performance on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Agent role
Management Server
Windows 2008 R2
Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Windows 7
I recommend this hotfix if you are experiencing WMI failures, service crashes, or failures to collect data from WMI performance counters via script.  If impacted, it would be applied to any Server 2008R2 or Win7 machine, if it is agent managed or holds a SCOM server role.
2470949 The RegQueryValueEx function returns a very large incorrect value for the “Avg. Disk sec/Transfer” performance counter in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7 Agent role
Management Server
Server 2008 R2SP1
Windows 7
I recommend this hotfix to be applied to any Server 2008R2 or Win7 machine, if it is agent managed or holds a SCOM server role.
2495300

(see notes)

Invalid “Avg. Disk sec/Transfer” value returned by the RegQueryValueEx function in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Vista Agent role
Management server
Windows 2008
Vista
I recommend this hotfix to be applied to any Server 2008 or Vista machine, if it is agent managed or holds a SCOM server role.

Due to an issue in this KB hotfix breaking teamed network adapters, I recommend deploying http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2710558/en-us in order to address this issue, which supersedes 2495300

981263 Management servers or assigned agents unexpectedly appear as unavailable in the Operations Manager console in Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008
(ESE jet database corruption)
Agent Role
Management Server
Server 2003 SP2
Server 2008 SP2

I recommend this hotfix for all RMS, MS, and GW roles running Windows Server 2003 SP2, or Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Apply to agent machines if you feel you are impacted by this issue.
968967 The CPU usage of an application or a service that uses MSXML 6.0 to handle XML requests reaches 100% in Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3, or other systems that have MSXML 6.0 installed
(Spinlock)
MS
GW
Agent
Server 2008
I recommend this hotfix if you are impacted with this issue, which is very common.

You might find a MonitoringHost.exe process randomly stuck at 100% CPU.  If so – this hotfix might be applicable.

932370 The number of physical hyperthreading-enabled processors or the number of physical multicore processors is incorrectly reported in Windows Server 2003 Agent role
Server 2003
Server 2003 SP1
Server 2003 SP2
I recommend this hotfix for all agent managed computers running Windows Server 2003, SP1 or SP2, x86 or x64 (If managed using SCOM 2012)
933061 WMI Stability in Server 2003 Agent role
Server 2003
Server 2003 SP1
Server 2003 SP2
955360 Cscript 5.7 update for Server 2003 Agent role
Server 2003
Server 2003 SP1
Server 2003 SP2

Some general guidance on hotfixes to make you more successful:

ALWAYSon Server 2008 OS and later, run the hotfix MSI from an elevated command prompt window. This will launch the install of the hotfix, and then launch the boot-strapper window in an elevated process – which is required. Do this regardless of the UAC configuration of the 2008 (and later) OS.

ALWAYS – make sure you read the instructions to understand if the hotfix is a SQL update, installed to the RMS, MS, and/or Gateway, AND/OR applies to agents as well.

ALWAYS – make sure you double-check the DLL version of the updated files to make sure the hotfix successfully applied after installing.

ALWAYS – make sure you double-check the \AgentManagement directory of the management servers and gateways, to make sure if there is an agent update, the x86 and x64 MSP was copied over correctly.

ALWAYS check the language version of the hotfix, and make sure it is the same language version as your SCOM base install. For instance – if you have a English base SCOM install – do not download a localized German version of a hotfix and apply it – or it can break the English SCOM base install.

ALWAYS log on to your OpsMgr role servers using a domain user account that meets the following requirements:

• SCOM administrator role
  • Member of the Local Administrators group on all SCOM role servers (RMS, MS, GW, Reporting)
  • SA privileges on the SQL server instances hosting the Operations DB and the Warehouse DB.

These rights (especially the user account having SA priv on the DB instances) are often overlooked. These are the same rights required to install SCOM, and must be granted to apply major hotfixes and upgrades (like RTM>SP1, SP1>R2, etc…) Most of the time the issue I run into is that the SCOM admin logs on with his account which is a SCOM Administrator role on the SCOM servers, but his DBA’s do not allow him to have SA priv over the DB instances. This must be granted temporarily to his user account while performing the updates, then can be removed, just like for the initial installation of SCOM as documented HERE. At NO time do your service accounts for MSAA or SDK need SA priv to the DB instances…. unless you decide to log in as those accounts to perform an update (which I do not recommend).

If I had a nickel for each time I heard that one.  It’s a great question too, and one that sometimes

From The Operations Manager Support Team Blog : “ If I had a nickel for each time I heard that one.

5. Kevin Holman says:

@Odnap –

There arent any major known issues when approving/applying an update to agent machines.  Recently – we have a newly reported issue on R2 CU3 – where the CU3 package is restarting other services other than SCOM service itself in order to try and supress a reboot from being necessary.  I am not sure quite why or what the root cause is yet – but generally approving/applying updates to the agents is very benign.

6. Kevin Holman says:

Please see my comment above where I clarify this.

Uvádím zde seznam důležitých oprav pro SCOM 2007 SP1, které používám a doporučuji nasadit v každém prostředí.

From your link below you talk about four hotfixes needed specifically for Server 2008, but none of those are mentioned here in your OpsMgr 2007 Post-SP1 hotfixes list. Why not?

9. Kevin Holman says:

Hi Graham –

Great question.  This was an area I inspected when I did my R2 upgrade.  When R2 is applied – it will update the Agent MSI – and remove any post-SP1 hotfix MSP files that are present in all the AgentManagement directories.  This wont be an issue.  I tested it on my RMS and two MS, and it worked perfectly – I did not test on a gateway but it should work the same…. but always verify.  🙂

10. Kevin Holman says:

Hmmm… it has not been pulled that I can see.

I just went to the hotfix server, requested it, got the email, and downloaded it.

All good here.

In targets for KB956240 you say "RMS , MS and OpsDB".

In Readme file from Microsoft for KB956240

"………….

This hotfix must be applied to each computer that meets the following criteria:

1·Hosts a Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 Root Management Server

2·Hosts a Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 Management Server"

Is it nessesary to apply this patch to a standalone OpsDB server ?

12. Kevin Holman says:

@Curtiss –

High handle count is not necessarily a sign of a problem. It *might* be evidence of a leak, or it might mean that it is normal for that process on that OS version to consume a large number of handles. In the latest SCOM update UR3 – we included a management
    pack which changed the default threshold for management servers handle count to 30,000. I recommend you update to UR3, or if that is not possible, set a very high override for your management servers, such as 30,000 handles or more. Then – monitor them, if
    they just hit a high point and don’t necessarily show a linear leak, having a high threshold is just fine.

13. Kevin Holman says:

Bummer – I recently added this to my "always" list.

I would open a case with PSS for this.

14. Kevin Holman says:

Because – techically – 954903 does not replace 951380, which does no replace 950853.  Each hotfix resolves a different issue.

They simply all update the same file…. mommodules.dll.

Because of this – I recommend applying the latest hotfix which updates this file – if you are behind on hotfixes.  Technically – 951380 is the most important for *all* environments… because it fixes cluster discovery, and includes the memory leak hotfix from 950853, as it is a newer version of the same file.

15. daviesg says:

Just a question about upgrades.

After the core components have been upgradedto R2, should the .msp files be removed from the relevant agentmanagement directories? Just wonder whether an R2 agent, when you install it will try to install the old SP1 hot fixes? And whether when you approve and upgrade an SP1 agent to R2 whether it will still try to reapply old hot fixes?

Cheers

Graham

16. Kevin Holman says:

I am sorry that is confusing.

You should ALWAYS go with the release notes.

The reason I noted DB server in this hotfix – is because there is a SQL command… DBCC Freeprocache… that must be run on the DB server after the hotfix is applied… so I wanted to mention that you will need to do "something" on the DB server… but you are correct – you dont apply/install the hotfix there….

17. Kevin Holman says:

@odnap –

I would make your plan – and follow the guides for each step.

I would upgrade from SP1 to R2 fully (except agents).  Then – I would upgrade to the latest CU available that you have tested.  Then – update all the agents from SP1 to R2 CU(x).

18. Kevin Holman says:

Thanks for the feedback Paul.  However – I want to respond to some of your comments:

First – in my opinion, my list is not "missing" anything.  This is not a list of "all released hotfixes" and was never intended to be that.  This is a list of the most common issues, and the hotfixes for those issues, that I encounter to be needed in the field.

Second – on the superseded points:

954049 is NOT superseded by  958490+970533.  958490 takes a very special custom action, which resets the state of ALL the monitors on the system, which can have a serious impact on any large enterprise customer.  This is not just a simple DLL update, and therefore must be considered on it’s own merits.  It is already listed in my list – however I dont recommend it unless the user if affected by that issue, and understands what will happen.

On 957135 -> 958490 – same issue as above.  EVERYONE I have worked with was impacted by 957135, but not necessarily 958490.  958490 also includes DLL’s in addition to the two in 957135.

On 956423 -> 962082 – I will assume you meant 968082.  However – that is a very, very specific hotfix, that 99% of the customer bas will not be affected by. (a numeric digit at the beginning of the domain name)

Overall – I am *VERY* careful when recommending or listing any hotfix.  A hotfix = expense and adds to TCO of an application.  My large enterprise customers can equate this to real $$$, in overtime, off shift pay, downtime, or costs incurred by their service provider to apply these patches.  I spent the last decade working for one of the largest IT service providers, and know all too well the cost and impact of updating systems.  For those reasons, I only recommend or list the most common issues and hotfixes, and dont recommend a new hotfix just because it came out or supersedes an existing one.

And – this list isn’t official… it is more my personal list of recommendations than anything else.  But I do take a lot of feedback from the field, if there is an issue seen by a large number of consultants, that I have not seen myself.

Unless something really critical comes out soon, I will be adding anything to the post-SP1 hotfix list, until the SP1 hotfix rollup ships… in which I will be recommending that to all customers.  Applying one bigger fix is generally cheaper than applying multiple smaller fixes.

19. Kevin Holman says:

Alexey – I try to keep this "important hotfixes" list as small as I can… only including the hotfixes that I or my peers seem to run into the most.  I absolutely do add hotfixes to the list based on feedback.  However – I have not personally run into a customer that needed this.  It did make it into a KB – so obviously – there is a need… but do you see this in MOST OpsMgr environments you support/work in?  Most of my customers dont even utilize SNMP in any way.

20. Kevin Holman says:

@Techiedude –

I would do the exact same, as I would with ANY monitor that is alerting:

1.  Consider if the alert is actionable/wanted.  Disabled the workflow if it isnt actionable.

2.  Assuming it is desired/actionable…. consider if when the monitor alerts, is there really an actionable response?  If not – TUNE the workflow until the monitor becomes prepresentative of a serious condition.

In this case – I would consider if I want to be alerted when agents are consuming too much CPU.  If so – I would devise an override that makes the monitor useful to me.  If you determine the CPU is not all that high, except when the script runs to inspect it – then that tells me it is highly likely your virtualization hosts are oversubscribed to CPU resources.  Not a big deal, you just have to take that into account.  Perhaps make a group of virtual machines, or machines with only a single CPU, and override the monitor for those machines to a much higher setting.

21. Kevin Holman says:

Mostly – because those dont apply to most any environment – and those are OS hotfixes – not a SCOM hotfix – so they dont really fit the table….  I suppose I could put them in – but if a customer was hotfixing due to 2008 OS – my list includes 954049 – which references those OS hotfixes as well.

Plus – SP2 for Server 2008 includes these updates.

This hotfix list isnt the "end all – be all" of hotfixes… just the ones I encounter in almost all my customers…. if I tried to list all the possiblities it would be neverending.

This is a new KB coming out soon – which will discuss the Windows 2008 hotfixes required for SCOM R2 very soon.

22. Kevin Holman says:

@steven – the reason for that is explained in great detail just below the statement.

Sur le Kevin Holman’s OpsMgr Blog , vous trouverez la page que tout le monde attend. Kevin a recensé…

24. Kevin Holman says:

Added Windows OS related hotfixes table, based on many requests

25. Kevin Holman says:

@Techiedude – kb968967 clearly does not apply to Windows 2008R2 – as stated in the KB.  A hotfix will only apply to those OS versions specifically state din the KB article.  You confirmed this.  🙂

As to the "Operations Manager agent processes are using too much processor time" on Windows 2008R2 systems.  I too have seen this.  I really think (but havent confirmed) that there is no problem at all.

When that script runs to collect the agent CPU – it USES a lot of CPU to collect it.  It was using so much CPU originally, that it was triggering and really hammering the agents, when it was originally set to a 300second interval.  This was found during testing and so it was set to an interval less likely to coincide with other monitoring intervals – 321 seconds.  However, I still see this alerting, randomly, and mostly on Windows 2008 R2 systems, which are virtualized and dont have many CPU's.  Especially on single CPU VM's which are running on a very busy host CPU.

Is that your case?

Start a detailed perfmon capture on one of these systems – collect Processor%processor time for _total, and then Process% cpu time for all processes.  Collect this every 1 seconds, for a few hours.  Then analyze that perfmon.  Is the primary CPU spike happening every 321 seconds?  If so – it is the collection script using too much CPU, or the host CPU not having enough resources that is the root cause.

It looks like 954903 has been pulled.  There is a note on the download link that says:

Hotfix Request

The KB article has no public hotfixes. Please contact support if you need immediate assistance.

Thanks to Kevin Holman: Console based Agent Deployment Troubleshooting table and Which hotfixes should

Upwards of 10? Admittedly it has been about a year since the relase of OpsMgr 2007 SP1, but this level of post-Service Pack hotfixes makes this product a difficult sell to some environments. Making the issue even more difficult is the complex if/then

29. Kevin Holman says:

@Anonymous –

Simply override the value on a SCOM management server if it is using more than the threshold.

30. Kevin Holman says:

@Sunion – good catch – I updated the table.

As to patching clusters – you patch a SCOM RMS cluster just like any other cluster.  During ANY patch/update, there is always a short period where one node is patched and the other isnt…. thats just how it is.  I'd rock on, personally.

31. Kevin Holman says:

Added 971233 to R2, and added caution on hotfix launguage breaking base management group language.

KB968760 has been updated by KB981574 (.net framework patch). I would recommend the update as the previous version can cause issues when trying to patch .net framework, support.microsoft.com/…/2431806 details the issues i ran into.

KB2734909 looks a like a new one related to OpsMgr.

Hey guys – a new hotfix is published, and I recommend this for all SP1 environments.  This cleans

35. Kevin Holman says:

@Oliver –

How often are you getting this error, and what are any problematic symptoms?

36. Michael Humphrey says:

Kevin,

Thank You for this.

I did notice however that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956240/en-us states that this patch is for

* The computer hosts an Operations Manager 2007 root management server.

* The computer hosts an Operations Manager 2007 management server.

Are you certain that this should go on the DB server. Any thoughts?

37. LayneR says:

Kevin, you say that 954903 supercedes 951380, which supercedes 950853 (all updating mommodules.dll).  Do you know why the KB articles for each of those hotfixes say that each of them do not replace any other hotfixes?

38. Geoff Duke says:

Kevin, what a great resource. Thanks for sharing your experience and this compiled list.

An issue I’m wrestling with is monitoring Server 2008 systems from my OpsMgr 2007 SP1 (6.0.6278.0) install on a Server 2003 system. I see advice about what to apply to a server 2008 system that is going to host an Ops Manager role. But I’m content to leave my OpsMgr services on 2003 for now.

I’m having trouble specifically with the ADDiscover scripts, which I have traced back to a failed install of the AD Helper MP Helper Objects. There’s KB article (956184) which describes a very similar set of issues, but not an exact match.

So what do I need to put in place to get OpsMgr 2007 SP1 on Server 2003 Std SP2 x86 to monitor Server 2008 [Ent|Std|Core] AMD64? Specifically to install the MP Helper Objects successfully?

39. Geoff Duke says:

An update. I went ahead and applied the KB 956184 hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956184), uninstalled and reinstalled the agents on the Win2008 x64 DCs from the Ops manager console, and Helper Objects installed successfully.

FWIW,

–Geoff

40. Renjith says:

Thanks for sharing the hotfix information. It was very hard earlier to get a single place for getting the information about the needed hotfix for SCOM.

Once again thanks.

All your posts are very helpfull.

41. miquel says:

I made a mistake installing the management pack in wrong language. but SCOM doesn’t allow me to reinstall it in english. ¿what can i do?….

Microsoft.SystemCenter.2007.mp  6.0.6278.19                Microsoft.SystemCenter.ACS.Internal.mp  6.0.6278.19                Microsoft.SystemCenter.Internal.mp  6.0.6278.19                        Microsoft.Mom.BackwardCompatibility.mp  6.0.6278.19

42. Alexey Zhuravlev says:

Hi Kevin,

I think you should add this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/958936

43. PaulD says:

in current list

954049 superseded by  958490+970533

957135 -> 958490

956423 -> 962082

and these ones are missed

954823 (MP)

954329 (RMS,MS,GW,Ag)

956172 (RMS,MS,GW,Ag)

963005 (UI)

970533 (Web,UI)

952937 (Reporting)

954948 (ACS Collector)

959497 (RMS,MS)

967843 (RMS,MS)

968082 (RMS,MS)

951148 (Distributive)

KB970533 MobileWebConsole.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 MobileWebConsole.resources.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.Enterprisemanagement.Operationsmanager.DataAbstractionLayer.commonsetup.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.DataAbstractionLayer.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.Enterprisemanagement.Operationsmanager.DataAbstractionLayer.Resources.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Web.ConsoleFramework.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.Enterprisemanagement.OperationsManager.Web.Consoleframework.Resources.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 RootWebConsole.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 RootWebConsole.resources.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 RSSWebConsole.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 RSSWebConsole.resources.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.MOM.UI.Common.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB970533 Microsoft.MOM.UI.Components.dll – 6.0.6278.71

KB952937 Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Reporting.Code.dll – 6.0.6278.31

KB967843 Microsoft.Mom.Adwriteactionmodule.dll – 6.0.6278.63

KB958490 HealthService.dll – 6.0.6278.53

KB959497 Microsoft.Mom.Sdk.ServiceDataLayer.dll – 6.0.6278.54

KB956446 Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.HealthService.Modules.Notification.dll – 6.0.6278.39

KB968082 Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.dll – 6.0.6278.67

KB956240 Microsoft.Mom.DataAccessLayer.dll – 6.0.6278.37

KB959865 MOMModules.dll – 6.0.6278.65

KB961363 MOMNetworkModules.dll – 6.0.6278.68

KB963005 Microsoft.enterprisemanagement.ui.reporting.dll – 6.0.6278.61

KB961363 MOMAgentInstaller.exe – 6.0.6278.56

KB956172 scommaintenancemode.dll – 6.0.6278.38

KB954329 AdtAgent.exe – 6.0.6278.42

KB954948 AdtSrvDll.dll – 6.0.6278.34

44. Alexey Zhuravlev says:

"but do you see this in MOST OpsMgr environments you support/work in?  Most of my customers dont even utilize SNMP in any way."

Hi

I am not so lucky as you – all my customers utilizes snmp(to monitor UPS f.e.). And all customers who decide to install management servers on Windows Server 2008 had an issues with SNMP Traps…

45. azam says:

Dear all,

i m just installed CU1, do i have to install this hotfixes also?

Regards

46. azam says:

Dear all,

i m just installed CU1, do i have to install this hotfixes also?

Regards

47. Scott M. says:

Just noticed that the last couple of columns (or two; "Applies To" and "Comments") are truncated for blogs.technet.com/…/which-hotfixes-should-i-apply.aspx. Can this be fixed or correctly word-wrapped? Thnx much – very informative blog, much appreciated!

Scott M.

48. Techiedude says:

Tried to apply the hotfixes from kb968967 but neither of the files that comes with that download seem to apply to W2k8 R2: when running "KB968967" it replies that "the update is not applicable to your computer" and when I run msxml6.msi it replies that "setup was interrupted before installation could be completed". Do you have any other leads for fixing the CPU/Processor utilization error in SCOM R2? I've got almost a dozen machines that routinely alert on "Operations Manager agent processes are using too much processor time." and would appreciate any direction that can be provided.

thnx,

Techiedude

49. Techiedude says:

Hi Kevin – thank you you much for your response – it is *greatly* appreciated 🙂 Of the eight machines issuing this alert all of them are VMs, all of them are assigned a single vCPU, four are W2k8 non-R2 and four are W2k8 R2. Also of note, none of the servers are particularly busy doing much of anything (?!?). It's only when this monitor is run that the CPU is particularly busy. I ran perfmon as you described and couldn't find any discernable patterns to the spikes in CPU usage. Would PSS be an avenue to pursue for this or should I consider adjusting the thresholds? If I were to adjust the thresholds, do you have recommendations?

thnx again,

Techiedude

50. Odnap says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your post. I am very new to SCOM 2007 and I was looking for where to start on how can i update scom 2007 sp1. I feel that am to tally blank on where to start and what updates shold i put on our scom. Reading your post makes me alive. 🙂 I have a couple of question: (1) my curent version of scom 2007 is 6.06278.0, what else to check before i proceed with the update? (2) Do you have procedure in updating the management packs. (3) Do i need to update first my windows server (RMS) before i apply the updates on SCOM? (4) Do i need to update also the agents? Thank you and happy holidays!

51. Sunion says:

HI Kevin, superb blog!!

In the last KB, 958807, if you read the Release notes, it´s said its included in 2008 SP2.

And a question: any article or advice about patching 2008 sp2 OS in a clustered RMS (R2). I´m thinking about any issue about cluster and "mixed mode" when failing over.

This has never been patched and im not sure about applying the 51 available updates at Windows Update!!  🙂

Thanks!

52. Odnap says:

Hi Kevin,

I have updated our OpsMgr2007 SP1 based on the recommended updates. Thank you.

We are now in phase of deploying the agents to the servers. Do you have known issues

when approving the updates to Exchange, Database, Print and other servers?

Thank you.

53. Odnap says:

Hi Kevin,

During update of the agent to one of our server. It reset the alerts back to high-critical, so after the agent was updated it fires-up alert. Question, should i put the server into maintenance mode before i update the agent? Thanks.

54. Owais Mohammed says:

Hi kevin,

Regarding your post : 18 Oct 2010 7:24 AM.

I have," The Operations Manager agent processes are using too much processor time". issue with only 5 servers and was amazed to see that all the 5 servers has only one CPU. its been over 3 years and your post is still doing the magic. i overrided these server as it is not needed.

Thank you for your post.

Greatly appreciated!! 🙂

the work you’ve done is commendable but my point is this: It is so sad, to see that we are in 2014 and (many decades after Bill Gates set off to become a millionaire at OUR expense) Microsoft is still unable to produce a stable, secure, easy to manage/maintain OS, yet, still has a very large hold on the market. I really can’t find another word to describe it: It is sad and I sincerely can’t wait for the day when this will be over. Sorry for the negative comments, but you have to admit, it is unfortunately so very true. Regards, to the author of this blog, again you have done some great work here, nevertheless.

56. Geoff says:

update rollup 2 is now out

There was an issue when you monitored DNS server roles on Windows Server 2012 R2 servers. The DNS PowerShell

58. anonymous says:

Hi all,
    We are often facing this issue in our environment
    The Health service —- on host —— and serving management group with id —— is not healthy. Some system rules failed to load.
    Once we flush the cache and Restart SCOM issue is fixed . What is the permanent fix for this ? windows server 2008 r2 enterprise

59. anonymous says:

To anonymous – it may be that your agents are reaching the handle count or private bytes threshold and restarting themselves causing the system rules failed to load issue/alert to occur. Verify if that is happening. If it is, you may want to look into
    this:

60. Curtiss says:

scom 2012 R2 UR2.

KB2790831 says it’s not applicable to my windows 2012 R2 management server/ACS server that has the high handle count problem. there are zero agents reporting to this ‘management server,’ it’s only a management server because ACS requires that role. I overrode
    the handle count monitor to 20000, no good (thanks for the absence of a built-in performance collection rule for that counter, MS). I’ve overridden the handle count monitor to 50,000, which was the workaround for this issue back in early scom 2007. is there
    a new hotfix for high MS handle count for server 2012 R2 MS?

61. Steven says:

ALWAYS log on to your OpsMgr role servers using a domain user account that meets the following requirements <— what does this do?

Hi Kevin,
    Please suggest if any patch is available there to fix high memory utilization issue by monitoringhost.exe process in SCOM 2012 SP1 server.

63. dinesh says:

Hi Kevin,

will u please guide me how to use scom tool.(step by step) or if any link is available please forward me.Thanks

64. Anitha says:

Does SCOM 2007 R2 support SQL 2014?
    I have imported the latest MP for SQL 2014, I noticed that Seperate RunAsProfiles were created with the MP so I created new Account and assosciated with the profile. but still no use, i see these erroros with event ID 11903. please help
    Description:
    The Health Service could not log on the RunAs account SVUENTeqompmsa0 for management group "MG Name". The error is The user name or password is incorrect.(1326L). This will prevent the health service from monitoring or performing actions using this RunAs account

65. Oliver says:

Hi Kevin,
    we have a similar problem. We have a Windows 2012 R2 Server and a SCOM 2012 R2 Agent U5 installed. The Debug Tool desicribes that the wmiprvse.exe caused the problem. Further it describes that the oleaut32.dll caused an acess violation exception. But I dont
    found any hotfix for our OS version. Our oleout32.dll has the file Version 6.3.9600.17560 and the wmiprvse.exe has 6.3.9600.17415. Do you have a suggestion for us?
    Best regards,
    Oliver

66. @Kevin says:

Sorry for the late respone – I get the error once a week. During a backup process we get a BSOD. The Backup Software developer says it is a Windows OS Problem. The debug tool describes the problem – see my previous comment. I have reinstalled the SCOM
    Agent with no success. Thank you.

67. Gordon says:

Hi Kevin,

I recently decided to update our SCOM environment and apply UR10 to the base 2012 SP1 installation (all so that I can upgrade to R2 and then further apply 2012 R2 UR9). I received no error messages during the upgrade (followed the procedure as outlined in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3071088). However, checking the version of Management Servers in Administration section and all of them show 7.0.9538.0 (expected 7.0.9538.1136). I also checked all management servers registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Setup key, CurrentVersion value shows as 7.0.9538.0 and so does UIVersion. But ServerVersion shows as 7.0.9538.1136. InstalledOn shows the time when I applied UR10. I confirmed all files were updated and are version 7.0.9538.1136 as per instructions. I also don’t get the option in the Pending Management view to update agents automatically. So it seems that the update was half successful.

What could I do to troubleshoot/resolve the issue?

Appreciate your help.

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Gordon –

I believe you might have unrealistic assumptions.

We don’t change the value in Administration, and we don’t change that reg key, so I am not sure what you read that made you think those would change. Certainly nothing in the article stated that?

That is why in my articles, we check the file version. If the file versions are updated, the update was a success.

If agents do not show up in pending, one of two things happened: 1. You did not run the update per instructions, from an elevated command prompt, as a local admin, scom admin, and SQL local admin and SysAdmin role. or 2. You agents are not set to be remotely manageable.

1. Gordon says:

Thanks Kevin. Really appreciate your advice.

If one of those happened, what are my options? I’m almost certain agents are set to be remotely managed as I ran the SQL query to set them all as remotely managed before the upgrade. Can I re-run the update files or is it to late for that and I need to roll back and run the update again?

Just out of curiosity, if agents were not remotely managed what would be the solution? Install agents manually? Or can they be set to remotely managed and then wait for them to appear in Pending Management?

1. Kevin Holman says:

@Gordon –

You can absolutely re-run the update with no ill effects. Any agents directly assigned to that management server will go into pending, even ones that have already been updated. We simply place ALL agents in pending for the update, regardless of their status, so be aware. It should happen at the very end of the server update, which takes less than a minute generally.

If agents aren’t placed into pending it isn’t a big deal – you simply run a “repair” on them which is exactly the same action.

Agents will NEVER “appear” in pending. This is simply something that is done as part of an update being applied – they will never show back up later for any reason.

1. Gordon says:

That did the trick. Noted for future updates.

Thanks for your help Kevin, really appreciate it. As are all your blog articles I’ve read over the years. Amazing work.

68. pmerigot says:

Hi Kevin,
    This page is regurarly updated and contain important information in a way to maintain our SCOM infra.
    Is it possible to have a RSS link on this page to be aware more easily when this page is updated ?

Tks