Creating granular alert notifications – rule by rule, monitor by monitor

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<![endif]-->

1. Kevin Holman says:

Marnix – that is excellent feedback…. and you are preaching to the choir here… as you suspected.

However – great feedback like this does have its place – and that is leaving it on

That goes directly to the product team…. as you said – when enough feedback like that is received, it is the best catalyst for us to enhance a product direction, or focus on a specific area.

Dont think your feedback goes unread – it matters!

I had a couple of items:

The power shell example link doesnt go to the example. It just goes to the homepage for the code4ward software.

The other thing I was confused about was where are you seeing the xml for the subscription? I have created a monitorgroup and put that in a MP. Then I created a subscription and referenced that group.

When I export the MP I do not see any of the fields you are refering to.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Kevin, how does the Alert data get into dbo.alert table? Via the MonitoringAlert Class?

Bryan

4. Kevin Holman says:

You bring up a couple good points, and I hear this a lot.

Unfortunately – there is no easy way to do this.  This was fairly easy to acheive in MOM 2005, using custom fields.  However, since OpsMgr MP’s are sealed, and custom fields are not available via override, there is no easy way to use them with a sealed MP.

The best way to acheive this in SCOM, is to write a custom product connector, using the SDK, that will poll the alerts every so often, and inspect for the alerts you care about.  Then – using the SDK, modify the fields of the alerts using custom fields.  This includes writing a connector that will traverse the class relationships – and roll up to the Windows Computer object – to try and get the NetBIOS name of the computer in the custom field.

If you have programming skills, this is no problem.  If you dont… then this will be a potential hole in your deployment.  My recommendation is to open a case with Microsoft, and request this functionality from the product.  That is the best way to provide the necessary feedback that you need this in the product.

Please send me an email if you’d like to discuss this further.

Using notifications such as email, has proven to be somewhat difficult in OpsMgr .&#160; I get questions

6. Kevin Holman says:

Sorry – I cant control that other website’s expired links.  🙂

As to the question of where is the XML?

"First things first…. let’s talk about what happens when you create a normal subscription in the UI:  When you run the New Subscription wizard in the UI, you are selecting from what was determined to be the most typical choices for subscribing to alerts for a notification.  What this does, behind the scenes, is create some XML, and writes that information to the "Notifications Internal Library" management pack (Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal)"

7. Dominique says:

Hello,

Are you telling me I need to write script(s) to get a notification about alerts in Operation Manager 2007 R2?

If not please could you post the URL for a simple notification without script.

Thanks,

– DOm

8. Kevin Holman says:

No – that isnt what I am saying at all.

In R2 – this is built in to the UI.  Only in SP1 this was not built in…. to subcribe to a SINGLE alert.

In R2 this is a simple wizard in the UI.

9. Marnix Wolf says:

Hi Kevin.

Nice article.

But why has Microsoft made alerting so difficult? I mean the UI should cover all this, without the need for any scripts. It should make SCOM more userfriendly and for more better to control alert notifications.

It gives me the feeling like buying a car but when one wants to use the horn one has to pull/push a huge number of handles/buttons to get it working.

Example: At a customers site there are four SCOM Management Groups in place. For one Management Group (the main one) there are 3 different departments (with every department having its own sub-departments) who need to receive alerts concerning their field of work/operations.

In MOM2005 it was an pretty staightforward job to get things working. But with SCOM 2007 I have to dig deep to get things partially working. Secondly, this customer refuses to get down to programming since they want a SCOM environment which can be easily operated by their own people without having to depend on third party involvement just to get a simple alert forwarded to a sms enabled device. More over, their departments are flexible, so the alert notifications have to be as well. How can it be flexible when for every change a PS script has to be adjusted?

Don’t get me wrong, I do not personally blame you but I don’t see the above script being a real solution. At its best it is a workaround for a part of SCOM which really needs to get more attention in such a way that it becomes what it should be: an easy to operate interface for alert notifications without all the hassles of using PS.

When I look at the Connect site I notice there are many more people in the field experiencing the same problems. I do hope Microsoft will improve this since SCOM is a great product but with the way alert notifications is arranged now, it will downplay the overall rating of SCOM. And that would be a shame.

Kind regards,

Marnix Wolf

10. Marnix Wolf says:

Hi Kevin.

It has been posted on the Connect site. I hope this will get any attention.

Kind regards,

Marnix

ps: have you already read my mail concerning the Agentversions? You asked me to mail you but until now the radio has been silent.

11. Sharkrit says:

There are many useful information stored in databases, but we cannot use them from UI or another simple way.

What I need in notifications feilds are very common details,

a.System Hostname (not FQDN or Distinguished Name or Entity Path)

b.Custom Group Name which created in Authoring

c.Server Owner or Group Owner name.  (not Alert Owner)

Do you have any solution to add this data to e-mail notifications?

12. John Curtiss says:

is this link
    https://connect.microsoft.com/OpsMgrFeedback/Feedback  supposed to be dead? is there an updated feedback link?

13. john grofik says:

kevin this is great!  i do have one questions.  If a receiptient has more than one notificaion channel how can I send certain alerts to different channels.  thanks.

14. Garry Sollis says:

Kevin,

great article, on my hunt for a solution for a problem I came accross this. I have a similar problem as described above at the moment and I need a push in the right direction. Perhaps you could spare some time to check out my question on the technet forums concerning notification. It is pretty much explained fully there what I'm seeking to achieve.

The thread is at social.technet.microsoft.com/…/7e8a5d4a-1727-4448-a2d8-85950645e01a

Any help would be appreciated!

Garry

15. Daren Daigle says:

I seem to be missing the DefaultSMTPAction and the script fails.

Daren

16. Kevin,

thanks for the post!

You mention that PollingIntervalMinutes should not be changed. Is that still the case? And do you mean increasing it and decreasing as well?

In my case I do have a "main notification" to write some CMDB values to the alerts that I need in the following notifications sent through SMS/mail.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

С принятием Федерального закона Российской Федерации от 21.07.2014г. № 248-ФЗ «Об исчислении времени»

Обновление от 09.10.2014: В данную статью внесены дополнения, в связи с выпуском пакета обновлений KB2998527