A report to show all agents missing a specific hotfix

This is a continuation of my previous post on determining which agents are missing a hot-fix:

How do I know which hotfixes have been applied to which agents-

I wrote up a report that allows you to paste in a KB article number into the report as a parameter, and then it will show all agents that are potentially missing that hotfix.  This will help you easily find agent which need to be patched and got missed for some reason.

You can run this report if you create the SQL reporting data source as specified in my previous post:

Creating a new data source for reporting against the Operational Database

Once imported – it will show up in the console.  Open the report, and paste in any KB article number for a OpsMgr hotfix you have applied.  The number MUST begin and end with "%"…. such as %951380% as shown:

The report is attached below:

Hey guys – a new hotfix is published, and I recommend this for all SP1 environments.  This cleans

V tomto pokračování naleznete aktualizace pro SCOM 2007 SP1 ( Aktualizace pro SCOM 2007 SP1 (hotfixes)

I was recently researching this very issue and found this very useful blog post originally made by Kevin

Uvádím zde seznam důležitých oprav pro SCOM 2007 SP1, které používám a doporučuji nasadit v každém prostředí.

In general – you should evaluate all hotfixes available, and only apply those applicable to your

7. Daniele Grandini says:

… this means that we quickly lose any record of the actual patches installed. Guys we cannot lose control of the patch level of the agents, I cannot think of having to develop my own rule to collect the applied patches from wmi or being forced to use sccm just to know which agents are up to date and which are not.

Please fix it.

8. Kevin Holman says:

Re:  Web Page view –

This is something that changed around R2 I believe.

Replace "%2f" in ItemPath with a forward slash "/"

9. Kevin Holman says:

I have seen this in the field on occassion…. I’d recommend opeining a case with PSS…. or you can try the Windows Installer registry workaround I posted at http://blogs.technet.com/kevinholman/archive/2008/09/24/installing-the-web-console-on-a-2008-management-server-using-windows-authentication.aspx

10. Kevin Holman says:

It might not be running in the console due to your modifications.  All reports like this should also work in the console – but they probably require the identical settings.  You shouldnt have to make those modifications… this should be able to work just like the built in one does… but it might be because of security restrictions on your database instance for the OpsDB.

11. Kevin Holman says:

If you have agents that did not get the hotfix applied – or you accidentally rejected the pending action for update – or the pending update action failed….

Simply "Repair" the agent under "Agent Managed" Administration view.

12. John W. says:

Kevin –

How do you re-apply patches that never got applied? In a response to Ian Blyth you said the following: "putting agents in pending is just flipping a bit in the database and putting them in the pending actions table".

Can you reply back with just how to do this? As we have a number of agents that need to have the hotfixes applied.

Thanks in advance.

13. Ian Zarzuela says:

After applying the hotfix and following the SQL process on 956240, my version of Microsoft.mom.dataaccesslayer.dll is still 6.0.6278.0. Any advise?

14. Brian says:

The report works great when run through the reporing tab, or directly from the reporting server. But I am not able to add it as a "Web Page View" under the Monitoring tab in the console. I think the Web Page View doe snot like the "%" int path:

http://sjd-emo-02/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fAgents_Missing_Hotfix_Report because I get this error: The path of the item ‘%2fAgents_Missing_Hotfix_Report’ is not valid.

I have the same problem with any report i try to add with % in the URl.

Do you know any workarounds for this?

15. Brian says:

Perfect – that did it. Thanks !!

16. wifarrar (MSFT) says:

Thanks Kevin!  It appears this report can only run from the web SRS page correct?  When attempting to run it from the Reporting section of the console it comes up with a failure.

We also had to use the "Credentials supplied by the user running the report" and also click "use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source" to get the report to run; however, the biggest issue is it does not want to run in the console for some reason…

17. Dominiqiue says:

Thanks again Kevin this query and report on missing hotfix saved me hours …