RichCopy Build 4.0.216 has been posted to the Microsoft Download Center.

I am so surprised there are so many IT professionals who are looking for rich featured file copy tools. Since RichCopy became publicly available from the Microsoft download center, I am receiving tons of emails such as questions, bug reports, feature requests. I am sorry that I am not able to respond to all of your e-mails, however I will answer most of them in my blog. Some of you may have noticed that RichCopy package on Microsoft download center has been replaced with a new build which is Version 4.0.216. There is no additional features, but the following bugs have been fixed in this release.

1. Cannot copy security information when /CSA /CSD /CSG /CSO /CSS options are specified or equivalent options are set in the option dialog.
2. Logging information is truncated when RichCopy is executed from the command line.
3. Destination path got corrupted when RichCopy is executed from the command line. (rarely happens..)
4. There is no description of file and directory filtering command parameters in the helpfile…

Currently installed RichCopy has to be removed before installing the new version.

One thing I found is,
There must be many users who use RichCopy to copy only updated files. Most of users assign only 1 thread for directory search; however you can dramatically accelerate the performance of source and destination comparison by assigning multiple threads, especially this works well when files are distributed to multiple directories as RichCopy assign 1 thread to each directory search, not a tree.

Here is an example. (local to local, but different storage)

(1 million files in source and destination)
Thread # for Directory Search
1 about 10 minutes
2 about 6 minutes
4 about 2 minutes
8 about 1 minutes

Ken, the timer function is not working correctly.  If I set a time to start in the GUI and start the job, it will not start at the specified time.  At that point, if I cancel the job, it starts copying immediately.  One thing I noticed is that the time set in the GUI does not apply correctly to the command line.  The command line shows 7 hours ahead of what is set in the GUI.  If I try to set the time in the GUI 7 hours back to compensate, when I try to start the job I get error 87.  I can set a scheduled task do do the same thing, but I like the idea of the timer and would like to be able to use it.  Thanks for a great tool!

2. Ken Tamaru says:

I will also investigate the issue of timer function.

The Exclude filter checkbox for both files and directories are not staying checked. I have checked them and then added a file extension to exclude "*.pdb" and as soon as I hit Apply and Ok, and then look at the Eclude settings again and the check boxes are empty and the file extension to exclude is grayed out. The command line also cleared out the exclusion, in the 'Other' settings screen. I see a few other people have complained about this, but I see no fix?? I have the latest version loaded. .217

When you run the saved RichCopy it copies everything! I'd like to have a automated and repeatable process that my team can run, but if the excluded files are included, it can cause to many issues.

Build Master

4. techguy says:

Ken, Sorry so long getting back. I do indeed have the latest version 4,0,216,0 is what’s in help about.

Has anyone confirmed they can get ACLs to copy?

5. dalepres says:

Just to add to the above, it would be good if we could use the command line to execute all the jobs in a specified XML file, or all of the jobs in a specified collection in the file, or a specific named job in the file.

Problem signature:

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: e695

Additional Information 2: 0c657b4db728d0da029efbe3503a5f08

Additional Information 3: 89a5

Additional Information 4: c9094bc0c989795a55d1ebcced67e8c5

Read our privacy statement:

Help please! I just downloaded this program and installed it. I started it and went to the file copy option by click the "option" button. In the "file copy options" window, I only saw "overview" menu, nothing else. In the help, it shows that there are also other menu such as "process control", "attributes, errors" and "filter…" etc. Also I don’t seem to be able to rename the "default", click "New" added "default-1", not able to rename it either.

anything I missing?

Thank you for your help!

I have been using this product for a huge file server migration and its working great, however I am now running into a problem with NTFS permissions.  It seems that running the application as "administrator" if it copies a folder that "Administrator" is not an owner of, then it will not copy the NTFS permissions.

I have tested this in a few ways and its definitly the link. An example would be,

Source C:profile

Destination D:Profile

In source their are two folders

A – Owned by Admin

B – Owned by "Regular Joe"

When you copy, the files, only A would get its NTFS permissions copied, B would just be configured to inherit from C:Profile.

Thought this info might help in resolving the issue.

Hi! I’ve noticed that file fragmentation after copying  large (unfragmented) drive is huge (even small files are badly fragmented). Most files end up with 5 fragments but it varies. Setting directory cache to 1, all threads to 1 and file cache to maximum (4 MB) seems to reduce fragmentation (only large files seem to be fragmented) but it’s still very high and the copy operation takes MUCH longer. Is there a method of configuring RichCopy to reduce or eliminate fragmentation? If not, this would b a great option for future development, defraging is necessary and takes much longer than the original copy.

Thanks Ken, program works great. We currently use the robocopy /MIR switch to replicate all our file shares to a backup appliance. Is it possible to achieve this with Richcopy? I have tried the /PURGE switch but that doesn’t seem to remove empty folders.

Thanks for the great utility Ken! But I have same problem with copy ACLs as tropolite and techguy. I am running RichCopy 4.0.217 on Win2003R2 and i cannot copy ACLs with files from local disk to local disk on same server.

Hi and thanks

Noticed the Exclude filter checkboxes do get saved when a profile bag based profile is used (This is the Copy Option profile that can be created and then selected in the Option drop down box. The Exclude filter checkboxes are getting dropped when you do a Save As, and a filed based copy option profile is used (This is the profile that is saved in a .rcx file). This needs to be fixed because the .rcx copy profiles can be kept on a share for multiple people to use. Where the other type profile must be kept locally in the Registry? So it can't be shared to a team.

Hi Ken

Just wanted to say thanks to start with.

I’ve been holding out for this build – Will be testing the functionality in the morning.

Appreciate your work.

14. Ken Tamaru says:

Security – Security function just works fine on my machine. Your issue may be caused by that you do not have sufficient access privilege. RichCopy does not have execution level information in manifest, which mean that you do not have rights to set security information to files and folders as default UAC setting. This can be avoided by checking “Run as admin…” in the RichCopy.exe and/or RichCopy64.exe property dialog.

Timer – I will investigate.

Wildcards – Could you try with "*.*" instead of "*"

Thank you for this great program. Unfortunately there still seems to be a problem with copying from multiple source directories in version 4.0.216.

When using the GUI I get an error 87 (the parameter is incorrect) and when used from the command line the application will close immediately. It does work from the command line however if I supply no parameters at all.

This is with windows 7 RC1 64bit.

If this is a user error I would appreciate a pointer on how to make it work.

Thanks for the great utility Ken!  One thing I noticed is that the Archive Attribute isn’t be reset on the source file after it is being copied.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a known bug?

For example if I run Richcopy to copy a directory with two files in it with purge selected and copy only on time stamp update.  It will copy the two files to the new location.  If I run the same routine over again after no changes to either doc the utility will still copy both files.

I want to use this utility to mirror a huge directory structure with gigs of data, but I don’t want to copy the gigs each time.  I only want to copy the new and update files which is only a small portion of the structure.

Any advice would be much appreciate from you or any other member here.

17. Ken Tamaru says:

Could you check the version installed in your machine? I have tested MS internal version, and it seems ok, so I may make mistake updating public version. (By the way, only difference between MS Internal and public version is contact information, logo,etc. So functionality is exactly same.)

is there a way to integrate RichCopy or the features of ( copy always-thread number of directory copy ) into windows or use some of its features by default when windows tries to copy files

19. Ken Tamaru says:

I will look into this one again, and get back to this thread.

Wildcards – It’s the "*.csv" that doesn’t work.  I did try the "*.*" for the excluded directory command and it still includes the directories in the copy.  Everything works fine when executed from the GUI.  When run from a batch file it just seems to ignore all include/exclude commands and it copies everything from the source to the destination.

After trying several different settings running RichCopy 4.0.216 on Win2003R2 and VistaSP2 (as admnistrator within the same domain, or just on the same PC/Server), I still cannot copy over ACLs to the new location.

I made sure I removed the earlier version and checked the registry for any orphan keys.

Installed the new version still without success on ACL migration.

Has anyone been successful? Any pointers? A beer to anyone that can give me an answer  😉

22. Hi Ken,

Has we are moving files from a file server  to another, we have many files with access denied. The problem is that we don’t have the ownership or the NTFS permission (or both) on that file.

Is it possible to add a feature like "Override Security on Access Denied" like in ScriptLogic SecureCopy.

Here is what this option do:

"Select to override security when access is denied. Allows an administrator to perform a copy without changing any of the permissions or ownership for the objects.

In a traditional copy process, a user must have permissions on a file or folder to copy it. If the user is denied access, they must first take ownership of the object, and then set the appropriate permissions before copying it. Imagine the nightmare scenario of migrating 10,000 user home and profile directories from one server to another. These directories would take forever to repermission and copy."

23. Forget about the /NE… it’s working…

However, i’d like the get rid of the splashscreen when i run it in command line mode. How do I do that. Is it possible?

I have a very complex folder structure with 5-20 files per folder (some folders only contain other folders).

There are about 25 million files (about 5.5 TB).

Most files are less than 1 MB in size.

Any suggestion for tuning threads?

I wasn’t aware that windows server 2003 had UAC?

Im running as a domain admin already, does it have to be the local admin?

Could some help me out please. I’m trying to copy from my current file server to our new one. I want to copy all the folders as they are now to the new location, with sharing and security intact is this possible? If so can some one tell me what switches I would need to use to accomplish this I have tried a few but can’t seem to get them to come over right, expecially the sharing portion.

A quick addendum.  For both parts of the copy process listed in the previous post, make sure that under "file attributes, Error Handling"  that you’ve checked the appropriate check boxes in the "Security information" section.

After ok1’s comment I did some further testing and it seems that the /p switch (purge) is incompatible with multiple source directories. Unfortunately it is a rather important option for me. 🙁

29. Bug!

I’m using the /NE switch to do a copy of the file only when the file does not exist in the destination. However, it’s seem the overwrite the destination file even if this file exist.

30. Ken Tamaru says:

There are two solutions to work around ACL issue.

1. Turn off UAC, however it is not recommended.

2. Check the option of "Run as administrator".

Another user said they had used many source and destination directories with no issue so we tried deleting the registry info for RichCopy and my problems went away :-).

However there *is* a limit on how many source and destination folders so it would be nice to now what it is.

Richcopy is an excellent tool. However it fails with a pretty cyptic error "parameter is incorrect" when the set of parameters is too long. We get this when we select too many source and destination folders. Two questions

1) Is there a limit we can check against so we know the line / set of parameters will be OK

2) Can we please have this looked at in a future update

e.g. we try the following in a batch file and it fails.

set PARAMS="G:"  "Y:KCSData" /P /TS 3 /UE /UPR /UET

richcopy Software;RefNotes;PriceLst;Patches;Drivers Software;RefNotes;PriceLst;Patches;Drivers %PARAMS%

I cannot get the "Use Name to Filter Files" to work.  After selecting the checkbox for the above and adding *.config, *.cs to the textbox and then saving my option file, if I go back into my option file I find the "Use Name to Filter Files" checkbox is deselected.  Furthermore no files are excluded when copying.

Hi Ken,

I’m having an issue with wildcards.  I’m executing the program from a batch and it’s not recognizing the wildcard selection.  It is copying all directories and files from the source directory to the destination.

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Rich ToolsRichCopy 4.0RichCopy.exe"  "C:Documents and SettingsebamburyDesktopSource"  "C:Documents and SettingsebamburyDesktopDestination" /M /FIF "*.csv" /FED "*" /QA /QP "C:report.log" /UE /US /UD /UC /UPF /UFC /UCS /USC /USS /UPR /UET

If there is a better forum for these questions, please advise.

Thank you in advance.

RichCopy has the potential to be one MS’ best tools.  First thing it needs is real support or at least a forum for user’s to exchange tips.  Making it open source or an official part of the next SP would be great.

36. dalepres says:

Greetings, Ken.  Thanks for sharing a great tool.  I know you are inundated with feature requests but I hope this one is worthy of your time.  It would be fantastic if copy jobs could be created and stored/edited in XML.  For instance:

<CopyJobsCollection name="DeployToTest">

… (Other copy options)

<CopyJob />

<CopyJobsCollection name="DeployToProduction">

… (Other copy options)

<CopyJob />

Yes, have confirmed what roolku said that purge (/P) does break multiple folders. Good find !

Can we please have the equivilent features that RoboCopy has with the /Z /B and /ZB added options (restartable and backup modes) at some stage ?

Is there any option to set the path length limit to the NTFS limit of 32,767 instead of following the 259 character limit?

39. Luc23 says:

I have the same problem as nore and I’m glad to hear that I am not the only one.  How do you get it to copy over the source folder to the destination and not just the files?

For example this is what I want:

Instead I get:

I have not fould anyway to fix this.  I thought what duperdog said above might work, but no dice…

Please this must be something really simple!

Hi guys,

Is there any way to skip corrupted files?

I’m trying to copy a large amount of files and Richcopy stops at 49GB with an error 1392 (the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable). I just want to skip those corrupted files and continue with the rest.

Yes, without Purge, I’m just filling, filling, filling my destination drive.

42. techguy says:

I tried this latest version, selected security info be copied in the gui. However, it’s still not copying the acls between two filers in same domain. Does this only do explicidly assigned acls or will it copy them if copying from lower lever folder that has inherited them?

Looks like when RCX files are called, they do not update the main screen nor take effect. The AppTitle does change however, to the RCX file name. Looking at "View…Copy Options" shows the RCX parameters but apparently they are not being "Applied".

btw: the version I use is

I’m trying to copy only txt files by date from a mixed folder.  When I try to set various options I move either all the text files (instead of only those before/after date) or all files in directory.  How do you recommend setting the options for this?

Can RichCopy get past the 255 character limit ?

I concur with many of the comments previously posted.  I downloaded and installed this on Vista thinking it would be very useful to make backups of important directories.  However, it falls short of the mark on many features.  Even though Microsoft does not support this tool I feel the author should not be posting code that doesn’t work.  I tried just a simple "exclude" of *.exe files and it copied them anyway.  If this simple usage doesn’t work why would I believe any of the more complex options like attributes, date/time, etc would work?  Ken, if you don’t have time to maintain this would you consider posting the code to Sourceforge or Code Project or some other open source community that could pick it up and maintain it?

Ken, et al,

Love the tool!!

I too have been having issues with the ACLs copying properly, but I think I may have an idea as to why.  IF the ACLs are inherited from the directory above, these do not seem to copy if the directory itself is not copied.  As a workaround, I seem to be having success with a 2 part process.  Given a sample file structure of

In the sourcepath, I type in \<sourcecomputer>e$data

In the Destination path E:data

under options I choose "directory creation only"

under "Files to be included"-"Condition to include directories" I check the "Use name to filter directories" and then enter  directory1;anotherdir

This creates the directories with the ACLs intact.  Then I simply go back and remove the options in the "files to be included" and change the source and destination directories to include the names of the directories (ie datadirectory1 and dataanotherdir) The files and directories underneath all then get their ACLs from the root directories that were created in the first step..

Hope this helps

I know that this program is not supported but… I think this is a goog program and I think that i found a big bug…

I have to copy some folders with many errors on filesystem (Errors of depth of folders on NTFS).

I run RichCopy via command line.

I’ve disabled any errors on the errors folder (Via GUID, It is also possible via commandline ?), and I’ve specified "/R 10000" option.

But I see from the log that the program close after about 10 errors of "07/01/2010 9.17.20,3,The system cannot find the path specified."

If I try from the GUID the program sometimes close with a "red X" error "this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

Is there a way to ensure that the program will continue even in case of any errors?

This is my command line

RichCopy "H:No_Backup" "X:" /CNF /P /TS 10 /TD 5 /TP 5 /FC 4096 /R 10000 /RI 1  /QO /QP "LOG_NO_BACKUP.LOG" /QA /UE /US /UD /UC /UPF /UPC /UPS /UFC /UCS /USC /USS /USD /UPR /UET

Where "H:" is a local disk and

Where "X:" is a network mapped disk.

Thank you!

Downloaded the new version twice, does anyone have tips on how to make it copy ACL?

Windows Server 2003, SP2

copying from disk to dia, Both NTFS, both basic disks

Robocopy works, but this is a million times faster…

Does anyone know how to copy the parent folder from the source to the destination with RichCopy? I am using

Why can’t I copy a directory directly and not only the contents, e.g. if i copied c:test to d: i get the content of test in d:, but i want also the test dir to be there, not only the contents. Or am I missing an option ?

Another thing, once, I copied around 10G. Then i added something to the source, after that when I copied again,  the whole 10G were recopied again and not only the new additions, why is that ? I didn’t change the default options and i’m on version

53. Marcello says:

Great tool but using Rich Copy 64 on a production server (from Windows Server 2003 32 Standard Edition to Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter x64) crashes 🙁

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: RichCopy64.exe, versione:, timestamp: 0x4a2fa7b5

Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 6.1.7600.16385, timestamp: 0x4a5be02b

Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005

Offset errore 0x0000000000051da0

ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0xb6c

Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01cb0e3a04ce0379

Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Rich ToolsRichCopy 4.0RichCopy64.exe

Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:WindowsSYSTEM32ntdll.dll

ID segnalazione: c388a82f-7a55-11df-a410-005056bc0593

54. ML49448 says:

Any is 217 the latest version of Robocopy? This is the latest version I've managed to find.

I'm also having issues with the timer function, it's 17:15 now, if I set it to start at 18:00 it's just starting immediately. If I set it to 19:00 it sits there waiting. Something to do with daylight savings time or something?

55. Kris says:

Access is Denied:

Very simple thing I want to do is copy my C: drive to my R: drive in the same computer. I want an exact subdirectory match and purge destination so I've set my options this way. Also have "Run as administrator" but still getting "Access is Denied" on every operation.

56. Jarno says:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for this wonderful program. I just found it today and it looks like a spot-on answer to my "windows rsync"-needs. However, if I check "purge"-option in the GUI, I get "error: 87 The parameter is in correct" immediately after pressing start. If I leave "purge"-option unchecked, it works fine.

I use Win 7/32-bit and I'm copying to a network drive. I have two source folders. I use RichCopy 4.0.217

57. Jarno says:

Uups. It is in the blog comments that purge does not work with multiple sources. It would be a great feature, but I can find my way over this.

58. mike says:

Hi Ken –

I have started playing around with Richcopy, so far, I like what I see.  I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64, and have been copying to a 2TB WD USB 2 External HD unit.  What I would like to do is as follows:  I would like to selectively backup from my C drive individual folders, and have them copied in a structured way to the external.  For example, say I want to copy

to K:BU, such that the folder structure is preserved under K:BU like this:

is this possible?  Right now, the way it works is I get:

The thing I am worried about is, a conflict if I want to back up multiple folders (let's say I have two intances of Apache: Apache and Apache2, conf and htdocs will conflict under K:BU)

Any ideas?

59. Jessica Camp says:

I have tried to install RichCopy  on 2 different machines, but the only thing I get under Options is Overview.  I do not see fitlers or anything under Overview.  Is there a problem with the download.  I have downloaded version 4, 0, 217, 0

60. alexsosa says:

In help about Consolidate Multiple Sources the two pictures are inverted.

Thanks for making available this great tool.  It think it would be worthwhile to revise the help file for any other errors and for clarity.  Remember that your audience now goes beyond MS developers.

61. Tim C says:

I just found richcopy and it looks like an excellent too, however I am experiencing a problem with file and folder exclusions. When adding a file or folder exclusion it appears to save the exclusion. However when you run the files get copied. If you open the options back up the "use name to filter files" checkbox is grayed out.

62. Josh says:

Lots of questions with no answers.. Looks like support for this tool has been abandoned!  Thanks Microsoft!

63. Pedy says:

It's a shame that PURGE doesn't work on multiple source…

64. Russ says:

RichCopy 4.0 will not install for me – Vista (build 6000).  Installer starts and the progress bar shows the merest hint of blue and then just sits there – "forever" – until I use Task Manager to snuff it.

Ideas anyone?

65. BH says:

Wont reset archive bit on source. Really?

66. Michael Lackner says:

I'm currently looking for a replacement for RoboCopy that does a robust source/target compare after copy. While RichCopy does feature a "Verify", it is not clear to me how that verify actually works. Does it just compare simple things such as file size & timestamps, or does it really compute checksums on both source and target and then compare those? That would be the actual "Verify" I'm looking for.

Thank you very much!

67. Luc23 says:

I've been subscribed to this blog posting for over a year. I've realized in that time that this program is really only functional for the most trivial of file copies and there are much better options available both free and otherwise. It does not appear that any of the many bugs with the currently available version will be fixed, so I would not recommend its use to anyone.

Myself, I have been using Super Flexible File Synchronizer for over a year now. Does everything you could wish for when copying nad syncing files and it only costs $60.

68. BadTim says:

Sad that this cool tool has been abandoned (Last comment from Ken Tamaru was June 23rd 2009!).  Seems that everything that is holds promise for admins gets lost in the shuffle at MS.

Just in case it helps anyone out there, here is the command that I use on Windows 7 (64-bit) to pull data from a server on the LAN to a local drive for archive purposes:

"C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Rich ToolsRichCopy 4.0RichCopy64.exe" \<IP Address of Server>D$ Z:<local destination folder on Z Drive> /XF Pagefile.sys /XD "System Volume Information" "Recycler" "Temporary Internet Files" "Installer Cache" "Temp" /FSD /FAD /QO /QP "C:Backup LogsBackup-Error.log" /UE

I have the above command line scheduled as a task in Windows 7 Task Scheduler:

Run:  "C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Rich ToolsRichCopy 4.0RichCopy64.exe"

Arguments:  \<IP Address of Server>D$ Z:<local destination folder on Z Drive> /XF Pagefile.sys /XD "System Volume Information" "Recycler" "Temporary Internet Files" "Installer Cache" "Temp" /FSD /FAD /QO /QP "C:Backup LogsBackup-Error.log" /UE

Personally, the problem that I'm having is that I still can't filter out certain file extensions or certain directories.  I'm also unhappy that this fine little app won't reset archive bit but that's a lesser concern than the excludes.

Hope it helps someone out there!

69. CAP says:

You have to use \servernamesharename for ACLs to copy

70. Infonetz says:

I was trying to learn why I get errors and code 2 indicated.  In my case, it is a mixed environment.  A server 2003 with Mac filesystem enabled.  Invariably the files that error are created by a MAC.  There is often a space or other un-seen character in the file name and the PC side of the house can't touch these files.  They won't copy or delete etc.  RichCopy at least keeps going where other products fail. The code is 2.  FYI.  It is reproting the files as in use or un-available.

71. Maurice says:

I've run into an issue with wildcards as well but managed to get around it.

I was looking for files with a certain string in the name specifically 1F at the name's end just before the extension. "*1F.*" only copied files names with 070xxx1F.x. I searched through all the settings to find an explanation as to why this happened.

When I replaced the "*1F.*"  with "??????1F.???" it seemed to work.

72. MK says:

Hi Ken:

Can RichCopy handle any length size file name or is there a limitation as to length size of a file name?

Are there any type of special characters within a file name that RichCopy will not process?

If RichCopy can handle any length size file name, is there any special setup parameters that need to be incorporated for successful completion of copying directories and files?

73. bhwong says:

I have been searching for an copy utility to skip any file (locked, inaccessible, corrupted etc) that takes too long to read automatically. Then use the log to retry those corrupted files after all savable files are already saved. Will this do that?

Windows only allow u to retry or cancel, not skip the file located under bad sector. When that happen, u have to go thru all the files in all the folders to find out where it quit.

74. Luc23 says:

What's wrong with Xcopy and the "/C" parameter?

75. ransomrb says:

When you use the Purge option it does not remove directories that have been deleted from the source.  Any way to make it mirror the directory structure as well as the files?

76. Miguel (Falcon IT Services) says:

Thank you for coding such a useful and excellent program and for MS giving it to the general public pro bono. This software has saved me countless hours of watching the progress bar during copy/past/move operations. Keep up the good work!

77. Persistent says:

When I stop a richcopy, the gui may or may not close, but the copy continues.  The only way I can get it to stop is to pull either the source and/or destination drive(s).

78. SBanford says:

Answers to two questions i noticed above. The questions are old, however. So, FWIW, if you want a parent directory created you must use UNC pathing when choosing your source. Using a mapped drive will only copy the subfolders.

In "File Copy Options", in order to see anything more than "Overview" you must change to "Advanced" in the View pulldown menu at the top.

79. Memory leak in RichCopy 4.0.217 says:

Is there a memory leak in this app?  We're noticing that while moving a huge volume of data (over 12million files in over 5.5 million directories consuming about 13 TB), richcopy seems to keep growing its use of the pagefile.

80. Jeff25 says:

So… Where's the source code?  Please please put it in Codeplex or somewhere.

81. how about richcopy support long path file? says:

good tools. I want to know if this tool support path+filename > 256

82. Tejpal Amin says:

Hi Is there a 64 bit version of Richcopy ?

83. NHoward says:

When you install RichCopy, two .exes are created. One is 2 bit and the other is 64 bit: RichCopy64.exe.

84. brianok says:

Try LONG PATH TOOL!!! the best solution

85. Ytala says:

What is latest version of Rich copy and where is the link where i can download it?

86. BVL says:

Where is the most recent version download link?

87. Fencepost says:

Two things to note about RichCopy:

1. It is no longer being developed. Robocopy is the recommended Microsoft alternative. A good third-party utility that replaces most of the RichCopy functionality is Unstoppable Copier from

2. RichCopy does not preallocate space in the destination. As a result, running RichCopy with multiple threads will result in severe fragmentation of the destination drive. Robocopy does preallocate space. I do not believe Unstoppable Copier supports multiple

88. Hi Ken, why not make an open source and let us contribute?