To be effective, Private Clouds need to embrace the virtualization technologies that you have currently deployed in your datacenter and permit you to manage them as a single compute fabric, rather than getting locked in to separately managing silos of virtualization technologies.
Don’t get me wrong … Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and our FREE Hyper-V Server 2012 certainly offer tremendous cost-effective enterprise scale benefits when it comes time to expand the virtualization capacity in your datacenter. BUT … System Center 2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager allows you to deliver a Private Cloud TODAY by deploying and managing VMs on existing virtualization hosts, whether those hosts are running Hyper-V, VMware 4.1 / 5.1 and/or Citrix XenServer 6.0 / 6.1 – all from a single point of Private Cloud management!
In the video below, Yung Chou and I show how to configure a Private Cloud compute fabric in System Center 2012 SP1 VMM. Join us as we step through the process of adding and configuring hosts, clusters, and host resources across Hyper-V, VMware and Citrix XenServer to provide a unified compute fabric that you can consistently scale and manage across your datacenter.
Configure VM Compute Fabric in System Center 2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager
Download this video for offline viewing.
Specific topics in this session include:
- [ 01:30 ] Recap: Building a Private Cloud
- [ 04:15 ] Configuring the Compute Fabric in Virtual Machine Manager
- [ 09:22 ] DEMO: Adding Hosts & Clusters in VMM – Windows Server
- [ 18:40 ] DEMO: Bare Metal Deployment – Hyper-V Hosts Only
- [ 27:40 ] DEMO: Adding Hosts & Clusters in VMM – Citrix XenServer and VMware vCenter
- [ 31:46 ] DEMO: How to Manage Host Resources
After reviewing this video, get prepared to explore the Private Cloud management capabilities of System Center 2012 for yourself in this series with these downloadable resources:
- Download System Center 2012 with Service Pack 1
- Download Windows Server 2012
- Get Started with the FREE Hyper-V Server 2012
- Step-by-Step: Build a Hyper-V Cluster – Part 1 of 2
- Step-by-Step: Build a Hyper-V Cluster – Part 2 of 2
- Activate Your Windows Azure 90-Day Free Subscription
Let’s Start Building Our Cloud!
Get started building your Hybrid Cloud solution in our “Early Experts” Cloud Quest
- READ: Build Your Private Cloud in a Month – Article Series
- DO IT: Build Your Cloud in the “Early Experts” Cloud Quest
Are You in The Clouds With Me?
What are your thoughts around Private Cloud? Feel free to share your comments and thoughts below!