In addition to the new, immersive Windows 8-style user interface, there’s a ton to be excited about in Windows 8 as an IT Pro – with end-to-end improvements across performance, networking, security, management, mobility, virtualization and storage! Yesterday, I met with a great group of IT Pros at SpiceCorps of Metro Detroit for a talk on “What’s New in Windows 8 for IT Pros”. I’ve posted my presentation for your review below …
What’s New In Windows 8 for IT Pros
Q&A Follow-up …
During the presentation, there were a ton of great questions on Windows 8. Below, I’ve posted the questions, along with the answers we discussed and additional resources for more information:
- Q: Are there new Group Policies available in Windows 8?
- A: Yes, Windows 8 includes over 350 new group policy settings, bringing the total # of group policy and preference items to over 3,600. More details on these new group policy and preference items is available here.
- Q: Is there additional licensing needed to use Office Home and Student 2013 RT on Windows RT based devices for business purposes?
- A: Yes, Office RT Home and Student licenses are intended for individual consumer scenarios. For commercial, non-profit or profit-generating activities, additional Office 2013 licensing of Office 365 licensing is needed. More details are available at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-home-student-rt-preview-FX103210361.aspx
- Q: What are the hardware requirements for Windows to Go?
- A: Windows to Go requires the use of a certified “Windows to Go” compatible USB device for booting Windows 8 Enterprise. Certified USB devices have been tested for performance, reliability and compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 8 certified PCs. More details on hardware requirements are available here.
Do have additional questions that we didn’t have time to discuss at this event? If so, feel free to post your questions in the comments below and I’ll follow-up with answers and resources!
Continue your learning with these additional resources on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 …
- Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 / Azure Launch Event in Detroit MI
- FREE eBook: Introducing Windows 8 for IT Pros
- Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012 and build your Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 virtual lab!
- Become an Early Expert on Windows Server 2012 – while Windows 8 provides compatibility with existing networks, Windows 8 works best with Windows Server 2012!
Hope this helps!