This study guide is provided as part of the Windows Server 2012 “Early Experts” Challenge and steps through the resources that I personally used when preparing for the following exam objectives on Exam 70-410, Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012:
- Install and Administer Active Directory
- Install Domain Controllers
- Create and Manage Active Directory Users and Computers
- Create and Manage Active Directory Groups and Organizational Units
Note that the first exam objective above is also targeted in the related upgrade exam for IT Pros certified as an MCSA on Windows Server 2008: Exam 70-417, Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA on Windows Server 2012. As such, this study guide is also relevant for individuals preparing for this objective on the upgrade exam.
What is the Windows Server 2012 “Early Experts” Challenge?
The Windows Server 2012 “Early Experts” Challenge is a FREE online peer study group that is leveraging a set of study resources, such as this study guide, to prepare for the MCSA on Windows Server 2012 certification exams as an IT Pro community. This study guide and the “Early Experts” Challenge are intended as post-training resources for IT Pros with significant prior experience in previous versions of Windows Server and/or IT Pros that have completed formal training on Windows Server 2012 and are preparing for certification. Formal instructor-led training on these exam objectives is available from local Microsoft Learning partners that are delivering the following Microsoft Official Course:
Completion of this study guide satisfies one portion of the “Early Experts” Installer Quest study requirements. Learn more about the “Early Experts” Challenge peer study group and join us online at: http://earlyexperts.net.
Watch: What’s New in Deploying Active Directory
Study: Install and Administer Active Directory
Review these targeted study materials for each exam objective and task to evaluate your exam preparedness and learn the skills needed in this area of the exam.
- Overview of Active Directory Simplified Administration – In Windows Server 2012, Active Directory installation and administration has been tremendously simplified via improvements to the new Server Manager tool for a streamlined installation experience and the new Active Directory Administration Center tool for daily administration tasks.
- Install Domain Controllers
- What’s new in Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS ) Installation
- Install Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS )
- Install a Domain Controller in an Existing Domain
- Demoting Domain Controllers and Domains
- Upgrading Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2012
- Virtualization-safe Technology and Domain Controller Cloning
- Using the updated Active Directory Administration Center ( ADAC )
- Perform Offline Domain Join ( Based on Windows Server 2008 R2, but still relevant )
Do It: Install Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS )
Hands-on lab exercises in the “Early Expert” Challenge are based on a dual-boot local participant lab environment. If you haven’t built your lab environment yet, you can build your very own study lab with the steps provided here.
Install Active Directory Domain Services with Windows Server 2012
In this lab, you will leverage the step-by-step article below to install a new Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS ) Forest on your lab server.
- Step-by-step: Install Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS )
When completing this lab, please perform all sections to complete the installation of a new Active Directory Domain Services ( ADDS ) forest for the “corp.contoso.com” root domain.
After you’ve completing this study guide, complete the other study guides in the Windows Server 2012 “Early Experts” Installer Quest to receive your personalized “Early Experts – Installer” completion certification, suitable for framing and sharing online!
Do you like this Study Guide? Tell Your Friends!
Please feel free to share this study guide online using the sharing buttons below. Leave comments / feedback on what you’ve found valuable and any suggestions for improvements.