Installing the NEW Office 2013 Customer Preview – Step-by-Step

Today, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Corporate Vice President Kirk Koenigsbauer announced the immediate availability of the Customer Preview of the NEW Office suite – Office 2013!  This latest version of Office provides new support for Touch Input, Cloud services integration and Social collaboration, powering new usage scenarios around digital note-taking, document reading and markup, meetings and presentations.  You can view the official press release here and a video of the launch event here.

Office 2013 Customer Preview Installation Steps

The Customer Preview of Office 2013 can be installed in just a few minutes and co-exists side-by-side with an existing version of Office, so there’s no need to uninstall your existing Office.  You will need either Windows 7 or Windows 8 Release Preview as your installed operating system to get started.  The final version of Office 2013 will be able to be deployed via the Office 365 cloud or traditional enterprise software deployment methods, but the Customer Preview steps below are designed to install from the cloud to make it quick and easy to get started with testing.

NOTE: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 Preview is also available for download using a traditional MSI-based installation package. Please note the traditional installation does not support fast cloud-based streaming of the installation or side-by-side operation with older versions of Office, and you will need to uninstall existing Office programs on your PC if you use the MSI-based installation approach.  You can download the .MSI installation bits here if you prefer.

1. Before getting started, review the Office 2013 System Requirements, located here
  2. To start the Office 2013 Customer Preview installation, visit http://office.com/preview
  3. If you are a home user, click on the “Sign Up” button.  Business users can click on the “Office 365 Enterprise” link to test the most robust business version of the new Office.
  4. Complete a new user profile and create a new Microsoft account.  Note – If you are currently an Office 365 subscription user, you’ll need to sign up for a new Microsoft account that is different from your Office 365 login credentials to test the Customer Preview.
  5. Once you’ve signed up for a new Microsoft account, login to http://portal.microsoftonline.com with your new ID.
  6. From the Office 365 Admin home page, click the “Download Software” admin shortcut.
  7. Click the “install” button.  This will launch the new “Click-to-Run” installer. (What’s Click-to-Run? Here’s a technical overview of this new technology)
  8. The new Office installer will launch via Click-to-Run technology.
  9. Review the Microsoft Office licensing agreement and click the “Accept” button
  10. Within a couple minutes, the core of Office will install and you’ll be greeted by a short introductory video explaining some of the new Office features.
  11. Choose a look-and-feel to personalize the new Office client applications.
  12. Jump in and start using Office while the rest of Office installs in the background over the next few minutes.

You’re now ready to begin testing Office 2013!

To prepare for enterprise deployment and volume activation of Office 2013, visit the TechNet Office TechCenter for IT Pro guidance.

Additional Resources

• Looking for SharePoint 2013 training and resources? Check out this resource page.
  • Looking for Exchange 2013 training and resources? Check out this resource page.
  • Looking for Lync 2013 training and resources? Check out this resource page.

HTH,

Hi Chris,

Great to hear that you're seeing such value from the new Office preview!  Here's the official preview policy from our FAQ located at: http://www.microsoft.com/…/faq

If you have installed an Office 365 plan, the Preview will expire approximately 60 days after the next version of Office becomes available in your market. As the date approaches, you will receive notifications in the Office applications alerting you to the pending expiration. Once the Preview has expired, the applications enter read-only mode, which means that you can view or print documents only, it isn’t possible to create new documents, edit, or save them. You must uninstall the Preview version of Office before installing a newer version of Office.

If you installed Office 365 Small Business Premium or Office 365 Enterprise, all data in the Preview account will be deleted when the Preview ends, including email and calendar data, web sites, and uploaded documents, so be sure to move any information you want to keep to a different location.

If you installed one of the Preview products for IT pros on TechNet, the product will expire on June 30, 2013. At that time, it will not be possible to use the product any further.

Hi Anne,

It sounds like it may be something related to Internet or proxy connectivity.  I'd suggest that you try downloading the MSI install using the link my post above and see if running that installation does the trick.

HTH,

Hi James,

If using the streaming installation procedure outlined above, Office 2013 and Office 2010 can co-exist. However, if using the traditional MSI-based install, you will need to either choose to upgrade Office or you will need to uninstall Office 2010 first.

Hi Geoff,

Check your anti-virus software and/or try disabling it temporarily to see if that resolves your issue.  Some of the traditional anti-virus products are known to block certain aspects of the new Office 2013 click-to-run installation process.

Hi Mark,

Rather than a bug, it sounds like your installation issue may possibly be related to anti-virus software.  Due to the new streaming installation process, some anti-virus products have been seen to block the installation of Office setup components.  Check your anti-virus software and try disabling it temporarily during Office 2013 setup to see if that corrects your issue.

Hi Amy,

Hit the Windows key on your keyboard to navigate to the Windows 8 Start Screen and then scroll or swipe ( if you have Touch ) to the right to see the new tiles for each Office application.

This page may be helpful to you to become more familiar with Windows 8 …
    windows.microsoft.com/…/basics

Hi David,

The Customer Preview is essentially a beta version of Office 2013 and is intended for testing installation and usage scenarios.  The preview is set to end 60-days after the next preview or full release of Office 2013 is made available.  If you download the .MSI-based installation files using the link above, those bits will expire on June 30, 2013.

There's also a FAQ that may help to answer additional questions located here: http://www.microsoft.com/…/faq

Hi Kent,

Are you running the installation from a network share?  If so, check out this post to verify that the appropriate permissions are in place …

blogs.technet.com/…/office-2013-installation-hangs-at-10-percent-when-installing-from-a-network-share.aspx

Hi Joe,

Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus / anti-malware software until the installation process has completed?  It may be interfering with the new Click-to-Run process.

Hi Vampire,

Sounds like you may have a video driver issue.  I'd recommend trying to update your video driver to a newer driver from your OEM manufacturer, if possible.  You may also want to check out the FAQ page on known issues with Office 2013 Preview and Release located here:

office.microsoft.com/…/office-2013-known-issues-HA102919019.aspx

Hi Tarek,

The initial provisioning of your Office 365 microsoftonline portal site may take a bit longer over the next few days due to high demand for the Customer Preview.  I'd suggest checking back in a couple hours and logging back in – the site will likely be finished provisioning by then.

Best regards,

Hi Al,

You can customize the target folder that Office 2013 installs to by creating a custom Config.XML file for setup to use – see the details at

technet.microsoft.com/…/cc179195.aspx

That said, Office 2013 setup requires approx. 3GB of disk space, and since Office is often considered a core application for most users, our normal recommendation is to consider installing it on your SSD because it will provide best performance when running
    Office 2013 and will have pretty minimal overhead on your SSD, leaving plenty of room for other apps ( this is how I have Office 2013 installed on my Samsung Series 7 slate, and I’ve found it works great! ).

Hi Vraj,

Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus agent – it may be interfering with the new Click-to-Run setup process.

Keith.

Thanks Daniel!  I appreciate your feedback!

Hi Cris,

Do you have Admin access to your PC?  It sounds like your PC may be prompted you for Windows admin credentials? Are you receiving any specific error messages?  They will be helpful in helping us identify the issue.

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

Use setup /admin to create a customized setup for Office 2013.  See the following link for the complete details:  technet.microsoft.com/…/cc179121.aspx

Hi Joyce,

Windows 8 and Office 2013 can both use a Microsoft Account ( formerly known as a Windows Live ID ) for authentication.  If you don’t already have one, you can create one for free at

Best regards,

18. David says:

May I know what kind of limitations are imposed on this free customer preview? Is there a 30-day trial? Or perhaps lesser functions similar to an 'Office Starter' distributed in a new computer? thank you

19. Tarek says:

Hi, I need some help please. I can’t access the portal(portal.microsoftonline.com) after signing up .

It says:

Sorry! We can’t process your request right now.

You don’t have permission to access this page or perform this action.

Support Information

Correlation ID:

ncu#b7bd89ea-8a64-47fb-ae2e-1b8cd9d50f7d

Error code: 0

——————————————————

However, when I signed up , a big green install button appeared, and I clicked on it. And now it is stuck on 0%- configuring for about half an hour.

Thanks

20. Daniel Clason says:

Good guide Keith!

21. Tarek says:

Thanks a lot for the reply, and for the great Guide.

22. Anne says:

My Office 2013 installation seems to be stuck. I get the message "office is installing in the background 14%" and it does not move from there except once when i opened Access and it got up to 57%. After trying to do a couple of basic checks in Excel I get Excel is not responding, and I figure it really has not finished. I have rebooted several times to no avail – any suggestions?

23. Anne says:

Keith,

Thank you for the tip. Everything is working fine – no worrying "Excel is not responding." And it did not take too long either.

Anne

24. cris says:

I downloaded Office 2013 Professional, installed it on a local machine and now I can't activate it, because it requires username and password.  I have a 25-digit activation key, but no place to enter it.  I have even tried activating it using my Microsoft live credentials, but it wouldn't let me do it.  What am I doing wrong?

25. Chris says:

I have successfully installed the preview. As an educator who uses onenote the cloud integration is a great addition. When will I have to start paying for office 2013 and will the files that I create within the program continue to be available after the preview ceases?

Thanks

26. vampire says:

i have the problem with office installation.problem is that icon are coming with blank bar how can i install the office;plz full guide me i am new users

27. Kent says:

Hey Keith,

I've been trying to complete the installation of Office 2013. It's been stuck at the "We're wrapping things up – please stay online as we make some finishing touches." I let it run in the background and left my computer for a day or so because I assumed it would finish within a few hours. Unfortunately, when I came back and reactivated my computer, I noticed that it was stalled at approximately 10% or so and now it doesn't seem to be continuing at all. What do you recommend I do? Should I close it and attempt to restart the installation? Or is there something I can do to trigger it without shutting it down?

Thanks,

Kent

28. James T says:

I have Office pro 2010 on my PCM, do I need to uninstall that before I download 2013?

29. Jennifer says:

hi Keith,

i purchased a copy of Office Professional Plus 2013, but in the email i received I have only the link to the Click-to-run installation. I need to perform a custom installation, so i tried to download the setup file at the page technet.microsoft.com/…/jj192782.aspx : when I run it, it still behaves as the click-to-run and it doesn'tlet me choose which components to install. What am i missing?

Thanks a lot

Jennifer

30. Mark says:

Office 2013 would not install on my Windows 8 machine which really sucked. I had to install it on my Windows 7 machine. It kept saying that i needed more hard disk space and could not find the folder Windows office / Office 15./? I love the program but hate the bugs!

31. Joyce says:

I have tried to open some of the windows of my Windows 8 but they keep asking for an email, username and password or just the username and password. Where do I get that? The ones I use for my AOL do not work…..Please help!!

32. Al says:

I want to install office 2013 to a drive other than my 120gb SSD. Just because I don't want to use up all the space. The progran doesn't seem to have any install options. Can't Ido this?

33. Geoff says:

Hi. I have installed Office Professional Plus 2013 and all seems to work ok but I have had the "Hang on while we make some finishing touches" screen message showing for over an hour and doesn't seem to be doing anything, anyone else had the same issue please?

34. amy says:

I just got a new laptop with windows 8. I also bought office 2013. I am trying to load it and have no idea what's going on. I double clicked on the setup file, it prompted me thru all the steps. I now have a box that says 'you can use office now, we're just working on finishing touches'. problem is, I have no idea how to access it. where is it? i'm not used to windows 8 yet, but I feel like things are hidden. I don't see an icon on the desktop, I don't see anything in 'my computer'. help please!

amy

35. TJ says:

I just had a problem were for several hours I was not able to get the Office Install to work, kept getting the message "Something has happened" check your internet connection which is working.  At that point the computer was going out a WatchGuard Firewall and I noticed a connection was denied that was from a close IP address to the one that the computer was connecting to in order to do the install.  I changed to a diffrent router that I have online and the install worked with no problems.  The WatchGuard is thinking that the install data stream is an attact and blocking the connection.  I will have to work with WatchGuard to see why.

36. Vraj says:

I have purchased Office Home & Student 2010 family pack which i successfully installed on my laptop (Window 8). Making use of the current offer of free upgrade from Microsoft to Office 2013, i have successfully put in my product key on the relevant microsoft page and downloaded the Office 2013 setup, however, after running the setup, it is stuck at around 80% saying "We're wrapping things up – please stay online as we make some finishing touches".

What i should do now?

37. Joe says:

Okay so I downloaded the home and student version off a disk, I entered the product key and everything, but every when it went to "Finish installing in the background" it gets stuck at 9% every single time. It says I can use the program but when I go to use it, a window omes up that says it can't connect due to "Temporary server issues", that weren't resolved after I restarted my computer. Then when I hit cancel to go offline, a loading bar comes up with the caption "Getting your new office ready for you, this should only take a few moments…" I've set up the program before and it's worked for me before, but now when I go to use it it just does this every time. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Installing the NEW Office 2013 Customer Preview – Step-by-Step – KeithMayer.com – Site Home – TechNet Blogs

Comments are closed.