During our IT Camp Events, many of you had asked about the ability to convert VMWare virtual machines to Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines. Not only can you try this out with the new Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVWC), but if you act quickly before May 25, 2012 you could WIN 1 of 5 Kinect for XBOX 360 units! Keep reading to learn how …
Here’s the details:
MVWC provides a Microsoft-supported, freely available, standalone solution for converting VMware virtual machines (VMs) and VMware virtual disks (VMDKs) to Hyper-V virtual machines and Hyper-V virtual hard disks (VHDs).
MVMC supports converting virtual machines using the following guest operating systems:
- Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 R2 with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 7
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter converts VMware virtual machines created with:
- VMware vSphere 4.1
- VMware vSphere 5.0
To virtual machines for:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter:
- Provides a quick, low-risk option for VMware customers to evaluate Hyper-V
- Converts the virtual disks and the VMware VMs configuration, such as memory, virtual processor, and other machine settings from the source
- Uninstalls the VMware tools on the source VM and installs the Hyper-V Integration Services as appropriate
- Includes an easy-to-use wizard-driven GUI simplifying VM conversion
- Supports offline conversions of VMware virtual hard disks (VMDK) to a Hyper-V based virtual hard disk file format (VHD)
- Includes a scriptable Command Line Interfaces (CLI) for performing machine conversion and offline disk conversion which integrates with datacenter automation workflows, such as those authored and executed within System Center Orchestrator. The command line can also be invoked through PowerShell.
WOW, this all sounds great … But, How Do I Win a Kinect?
Prior to May 25th 2012, complete the following steps to be entered into a drawing to WIN one of five Kinect for XBOX 360 units:
- Go to the Microsoft Connect site and login with your Windows Live ID
- Search for the “Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter” beta site
- Join the “Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter” beta site
- Download the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter solution accelerator from within the Beta site and convert at least 1 VMware virtual machine
- And here’s the most important step: Complete 1 evaluation survey form on this beta solution accelerator at the following link location – http://connect.microsoft.com/site14/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=14205
That’s it! Complete these above steps prior to May 25th 2012 and you will be entered into the drawing for a Kinect for XBOX 360!