The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is an agentless, automated, multi-product planning and assessment tool for quicker and easier desktop and server migrations and upgrades. MAP provides detailed readiness assessment reports and executive proposals with extensive hardware and application information, and actionable recommendations to help organizations accelerate their IT infrastructure planning process, and gather more detail on assets that reside in their current environment. MAP also provides server utilization data for Hyper-V server virtualization planning; identifying server placements, and performing virtualization candidate assessments, including ROI analysis for server consolidation with Hyper-V. Learn more.
MAP is one of the tools provided by the Microsoft Solution Accelerators team. The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and Security Compliance Manager provide tested guidance and automated tools to help organizations plan, securely deploy, and manage new Microsoft technologies—easier, faster, and at less cost. All are freely available, and fully-supported by Microsoft. Learn more.
For home users and users with a few computers to migrate, use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to understand the readiness of your computer for Windows 7.
The MAP Toolkit includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Assessment_and_Planning_Toolkit_Setup.exe. Installation package containing the tool, release notes, Getting Started Guide, Software Usage Tracker Guide and toolkit help (chm file).
- readme_en.htm. Available as a separate download. Provides information to read before installing the MAP Toolkit, including installation prerequisites and known issues.
- Getting_Started_Guide.en.docx. Provides information about toolkit installation, environment preparation, and assessment scenarios supported by toolkit wizards and the UI.
- Usage_Tracker_Guide.en.doc. Helps users configure the MAP Toolkit for using the software usage tracker feature. Once the tool is configured, this guide shows the user how to complete the inventory and analyze the results. Available as a separate download.
- MAP_Training_Kit.zip. Available as a separate download. Contains sample databases and training materials.
- MAP_Sample_Documents.zip. Available as a separate download. Contains sample reports and proposals.