HP Elitebook 8540w – now available for config to order

8540wAnother of the top end machines on the market is now available for your config to order enjoyment. I am referring to the eagerly awaited HP Elitebook 8540w.  This machine has it all and if you want it all, be prepared to drop some coin for the privilege of owning a highly engineered speed demon like this.

I configured an Elitebook 8540w with the following configuration: HP EliteBook 8540w Mobile Workstation, FreeDOS, Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache, Mobile Intel QM57 Chipset, 15.6-inch diagonal LED-backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Antiglare w/2.0MP Camera, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M with 1GB GDDR5 video memory, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 160GB SATA 2.5 Solid State Drive (I’m assuming Intel Gen2 but unconfirmed), BluRay DVD+/-RW, Full- sized keyboard with numeric keypad and dual pointing devices (touchpad and pointstick) with scroll zone, HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® 2.1 Wireless Technology, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3×3), HP Mobile Broadband (powered by Gobi™) with GPS Verizon Wireless, 56K v.92 high speed modem, Integrated Smart Card Reader, 150W Hardware Kit 8540w, 8 Cell 73Whr 8540w Battery 1 year warranty), Limited 3 year standard parts and labor warranty (3/3/3).

This came to $5722 on the public buying site this evening. I believe I’ll have an evaluation unit in a few weeks and will put it through it’s paces when I get my hands on one.  Let’s hope the price of DDR memory drops like a rock, soon.

1. Matt Hester says:

I hope this laptop for the price also does my demos via mental telepathy

2. Empty Pockets says:

I ordered much the same configuration. With Windows 7 64bit, no broadband and with 500 gb HD. It’ll be here in a week.

Price was below $3,700.

3. Keith Combs says:

LOL. Funny author name. How did you get it down to $3700 ???

Did you order 16GB of RAM?

4. Rick says:

I’d like to know if this unit’s display comes with an S-IPS panel. When you get the evaluation model, if you could report on the angle of viewing that shouold tell me if this is a decent monitor for photographers.

I am waiting on financing. My build cost $2233 which included these items:

HP EliteBook 8540w Mobile Workstation – Quad Core

Genuin e Windows 7 Professional 32

Intel® CoreT i7-720QM Processor (1.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache,1333 MHz RAM – turbo boost up to 2.8GHZ)

Mobile Intel QM57 Chipset

Intel® vPro Technology (Only available with Intel WLAN)

15.6-inch diagonal LED-backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Antiglare w/Camera

Webcam Integrated 2.0MP Only Available with and required selection for Display w/Camera

NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M with 1GB DDR3 video memory

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2D)

250GB 7200RPM SATA 2.5 Hard Drive

DVD+/-RW SuperMulti with Double Layer LightScribe Drive

HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® 2.1 Wireless Technology

Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3×3)

56K v.92 high speed mod em

Integrated Smart Card Reader

120W Hardware Kit 8540w

8 Cell 73Whr 8540w Battery ( 1 year warranty)

Limited 3 year standard parts and labor warranty (3/3/3)

Windows 7 Driver DVD – Recovery Media Available with any OS Win7 localizations.

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 32 OS Restore Media Available with any OS Win7 localizations. (not available with FreeDOS)

5. Keith Combs says:

Rick,

I certainly will.  In fact, I am going to ping my HP rep about the eval unit status on Monday.

Regards,

Keith

6. Adelante says:

What happened to HP Elitebook 8540w, it is already Wednesday 🙂

7. Keith Combs says:

I was told yesterday the eval units are still allocated elsewhere and I am in the queue.  The lady I am working with was supposed to get me a more definitive answer.

It’ll happen when the eval gods want it to happen. The planets aren’t yet aligned.

8. Preconfigured Bliss says:

The one thing that bums me out is the preconfigured version comes with the 1600×900 screen, but the rest is a heck of a good deal:

i7-620M 2.66/3.33GHz

4GB 1333MHz DDR3

880M 1GB, 1600×900 + 2MP Camera

320GB HD, Intel 6300 802.11n, Bluetooth, 8 cell

3 year warranty parts & labor

Plus – you get the $300 Advanced docking station for free

And – since they’ve delayed our order twice, we’ve saved an additional $150

($1,529 Total Cost)

9. Adelante says:

Is that normal that such a business computer comes at least two weeks late, even in the country in which it is made ?!

Hopefully we will be able to read your review soon!

Sincerely

10. to be or not to be says:

This "HP 8540w review" is becoming slowly a never ending story. Have you at least become your computer?

11. Keith Combs says:

I just received the 8440p

12. Jason says:

1.73 GHz? What year is it? 2002?

13. cieron says:

sure, a quadcore in 2002… 1.73 GHZ is not telling ANYTHING about the proc… gotta love these experts…

14. Nick says:

i have the same processor on a dell. this is i7 quad, which will show up as 8 threads. that and the 1333 mhz bus along with the turbo boost that drops out unused cores and boosts the speed up to 3.06 ghz. This thing fly’s. I have the 8540w on order but it is still delayed. Website has a 24% off deal going right now too.