Lenovo ThinkPad W510 – now available for order

w510 Have some money to spend on the latest wares from Lenovo?  Here are the specifications for the new Lenovo ThinkPad W510.  Well, at least the one I would order if I could afford it.

Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Extreme i7-920XM, 16GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, 15.6" (396mm) FHD (1920×1080) color, anti-glare, LED backlight,
242 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio, 95% Gamut, and the NVIDIA® Quadro® FX880M, PCI Express® x16, 1GB memory GPU.

It also comes with USB 3.0, eSATA, and other bells and whistles.  If you have to ask about the price, go order one at lenovo.com but this isn’t a $300 netbook.

Full specs at http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf. Order this bad boy at lenovo.com.

1. Matt Hester says:

Looks like we jsut found our next set of presenter laptops, just through some solid state drives and watch it go!

2. Keith Combs says:

Yea, but with 16GB of RAM, you will only need a single machine.

3. H Miller says:

What has happened to the T510 and W510? They have vanished from the Lenovo website.

4. 52weekhi says:

talked to lenovo sales on Jan 12 – wanted to order the W510.  I was told the product had been pulled from the website due to strong orders.  The sales rep did not know when they would be made available.

5. Keith Combs says:

The same thing happened as I recall when I ordered my T61p. Looks like a great machine.  I believe I’ll have an eval unit before they start shipping to the public.  We’ll see.

6. Drewy says:

I’m the lucky got myself one while sale was on.

yoink =)

only concern I have about it is the NVS 5100m and what exactly is it?

but choice of hardware was wierd to say the least

though I was happy they were giving the 9cell as standard with it.

7. John Ramminger says:

I was able to order one on the 7th and they said it would ship the 15th, now it is the 19th.  I am worried that they took it down due to production problems.

I just had a w500 give up the ghost on Tuesday, I think it was jealous the w510 was coming 🙂

8. Keith Combs says:

Yea, ordering a new laptop in front of your old one is a BAD idea.  You’re supposed to sell it and give it a new loving home first, like I did.

ROFL

9. Drewy says:

@John Ramminger

mine says shiping on 17th, I hope you are wrong about the production line problems. though

something tells me you might be right I remember I bought ASUS v1 B something.. and that thing gave me 1 year headache I managed to get full refund after 11 months fight with asus and it was top of the range 2000$ machine! but with IBM

its worth a risk I think still

10. Drewy says:

BAD news folks 4 People I know that ordered the W510 have been refunded after money been taken and held 5 days!

I think something is wrong with W510

🙁

worst service from lenovo ever.

serch tags :

Lenovo thinkpad W510 NVIDIA NVS 5100m

11. Keith Combs says:

Drewy,

You never really know what might be happening behind the scenes but you might give Lenovo the benefit of the doubt.  I don’t think there’s any big broad conspiracy here.  It’s a new product launch and I’m sure they want things to be right.

And regarding service, I recently had a chance to experience it directly with a ThinkPad T61p I just sold.  Lenovo replaced the LCD screen under warranty and did a great job on the phone, shipping, repair, and return shipping.  I would not hestitate to recommend their services.  They seem first class to me.

If you feel the need to complain further, you might do that at http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2.

Regards,

Keith

12. Drewy says:

Yes I think you are right, for how much did you sell your t61p, just wanted to buy one but then saw the 510 and went for it (with no success)

13. ROC says:

I ordered one on the evening of 1/13.  It was pulled the next morning and I initially lost my order.  The agent said they were "oversold" and no additional orders would be placed until it came back online.  The sale price on the w510 was only about $200 more than a somewhat comparable T410 so it was a value purchase. The features were far superior to the max available on the T410.  I ordered it with a full 3 year on-site service agreement that pushed the price but after my most recent experience with D_ _ _,  I felt it was necessary.

14. Ken says:

Jan 21 – My W510 arrived – so far – excellent!

15. Keith Combs says:

I am really jealous Ken.  You suck!

16. Drewy says:

Can you say few words for the public about the W510 M8 "so far excellent" isnt enough  if you got it with the touch screen would be nice to hear what you think and feel about it. I have reordered mine today hope it comes soon.

17. Keith Combs says:

By the way, I have two W510’s coming.  One with the multitouch screen.  I also have a T410s coming.

I will of course review all three and post my impressions.

18. Nitin Reddy Katkam says:

The Thinkpad W510 is back on the Lenovo website (at least on the North American website) after being pulled for a couple of days. Yes, the version with the multi-touch screen is available too!

19. drew-y says:

I’ll be watching this space for sure. want to hear real views for this particular model. since I was not very sure about getting the touchscreen for myself would be interesting to know if it supports stylus or anything similar. plus how long it will last on the 9cell with quad core would be a nice info to have. should say thanks in advance to Keith  for it all.

other thing is I read some info saying it has 1" USB 3.0 that’ willmake my dream come true for ultimate video editing machine!

20. asp says:

What’s with the low resolution screens? These a workstations, not portable dvd players.

21. Chris says:

I ordered one from Lenova.ca the hour they became available on the site Jan 7th.  The estimated ship date was Jan 18th.  After endless call’s and emails (when 1hr 10min waiting to talk to a sales rep failed) with the generally useless Lenovo Cananda sales support the latest is they will ship from Shenzen Feb 8th.  The estimated delivery time is another 9 days after that.  On top of which Lenovo have since lowered the price by $420 CAD however they refuse to refund the price.  Lenovo Canada have the WORST customer service I have ever experienced, you have to be determined to actually get one of these laptops.  I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has received theirs and any other Canadian customers…

22. Keith Combs says:

Chris,

My solution to your situation would be to cancel the order, especially if they won’t lower the price to match something they are advertising.

23. Chris says:

Hi Keith,

that would be one solution, I did discuss this with the Lenovo Canada sales rep.  The problem being I would go on the end of the waiting list for the laptop and according to Lenovo Canada, my laptop is 1 day away from shipping from Shenzen.

I don’t have the time to wait another month, just to get the system built.  I’m flying down to South America at the end of February and would really like to have the W510 prior to departing as I’ll be away for 5 weeks.

I have heard good things about Lenovo USA sales and support, Lenovo Canada are for the most part, completely useless.  They have no online way to track your order, you can either email (mininm 2 day turn around time on replies which they get wrong anyway) or call which will have you waiting on the phone for over an hour before giving up.  If it wasn’t for the fact I really wanted this model with the top specs I would have taken my money elsewhere along time ago!

I also had a similar experience when purchasing my T61p, I wait 2 months on an order that was supposed to ship in 7 days from Shenzen a few years ago, Lenovo Canada customer support blamed the problems on a new ordering system they were using.  Despite constant calls and constantly getting shipping dates pushed back they never delivered my laptop, in the end I purchase the exact model through a secondary channel and upgraded the components myself.

Lenovo Canada Sales and Support are USELESS!  They were 2 years ago, they still are today!

24. Keith Combs says:

Bummer. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be an early adopter.

25. Roger Breton says:

I’m from Canada. I’m looking into the W510. I don’t know where I’ll end up getting it from, eBay or Lenovo Canada. I feel the price is a little too high for what it offers. I like the idea of Thinkpads since I’ve been a proud and satisfied ower of a T30 for years now. I’m attracted to MacBook Pro, excellent machines, can run Win7 too natively. But I’d like to have a BlueRay reading capabilities and right now, Apple does not offer (might never will, I gather?). Now, I’d like to have the highest resolution I can get and it seems that, even the high gamut screen only boats 1440 x 900? That’s the same res as a MacBookPro? And Lenovo still don’t offer a BlueRay option at that price? I’m very tempted to go with the SONY Vaio’s. May not have the superlative keyboard layout and tactile feel of the Thinkpad but are those machines ever loaded.

26. John from Europe says:

@Roger Breton

"I’m attracted to MacBook Pro, excellent machines"

If you haven’t actually used one you may a bit surprised about various things that do not live up to expectations – at least if you are used to the high Lenovo quality. I own a T500 and have had the chance to compare closely to the Mac book pro for more than a year. I agree the Mbp is a beautiful machine but that’s mostly looks, in most aspects the T500 is better in terms of hardware. A few examples: both keyboards are among the absolute best there is. but the Mbp keyboard follows Apple’s philosophy of simplicity which means they have cut away a lot of keys touch typist will miss dearly (I know I did),  The Mbp speed is noticably slower than the T500. The screen on Mbp is a slightly brighter but has less resolution. And one thing I don’t see mentioned anywhere is that the sound/speakers on the T500 are actually the best I’ve experienced on any laptop. Then, of course, you will find more output connections on the Thinkpad.

I write this because I realized after actually having a mac side-by-side of another quality laptop for an extended period that a lot of the hype surrounding Macs doesn’t actually hold up.

27. RUSS says:

Chris the Lenovo Canada sales and support line is located in the states. Just ordered my W510 with 30% off and the salesman on the phone was in the states. One problem was since I ordered the SSD drive it will take 4 weeks for delivery. But what I’ve read in some reviews it would be well worth the wait. I was also informed that bay III adapter

was now compatible with the  W510.

28. mr twister says:

Screen became pink on one of my W510 waiting for screen replacement.