The VMMCA is a diagnostic tool you can use to evaluate important configuration settings for computers that either are serving or might serve VMM roles or other VMM functions. The VMMCA scans the hardware and software configurations of the computers you specify, evaluates them against a set of predefined rules, and then provides you with error messages and warnings for any configurations that are not optimal for the VMM role or other VMM function that you have specified for the computer.
Note The VMMCA does not duplicate or replace the prerequisite checks performed during the setup of VMM 2008 components.
Before installing VMM, you can use the VMMCA to help you evaluate the configuration of computers that you might use for the following VMM roles:
• VMM server
• VMM Administrator Console
• VMM Self-Service Portal
After installing VMM, you can use the VMMCA to evaluate the configurations of computers that you are now using or might use for the VMM roles listed above, as well as computers that you are using or might use for any of the following VMM functions:
• Windows Server–based host
• VMware Virtual Center Server
• P2V source computer
• Operations Manager agent
• You must install and run the VMMCA on the computer that either currently is or will become your VMM 2008 server.
• You should use this version of the VMMCA with VMM 2008 only. To download the VMMCA for VMM 2007, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=132136.