G.SKILL releases low priced 4GB laptop memory SoDIMMs

image We were having some conversations this morning about a bunch of laptops being rolled out to Microsoft field personnel. One of the people on that thread tipped everyone to some new low price laptop memory sticks of the 200 pin 4GB variety.

G.SKILL has apparently quietly started shipping the F2-5300CL5S-4GBSQ modules to the likes of online ecommerce powerhouse newegg.com.  See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231202 for the current price of $169.99 per 4GB stick.  Now the question is, who is going to be the first person to order some and load up a laptop?  I can’t.  I’m already all full.

1. Andy says:

Hi Keith,

What laptops (Dell, HP, etc…) are the Microsoft field personnel using?

Can they confirm that those laptops work with G.SKILL (2x4GB)?

-Andy

2. Damien Guard says:

How do the timings compare to the Kingston ones you have? (these are 5-5-5-15)

[)amien

3. ornage26 says:

I wonder if this works in an Inspiron 1520 for 8GB of ram?

4. Keith Combs says:

Microsoft field sales personnel use a variety of latops and tablets from several OEM partners including Dell, HP and Lenovo.  I believe the pool of new machines I referred to is coming from a batch of Lenovo ThinkPad T61p’s we purchased.  All of the T61p’s are shipping with 4GB of memory and I doubt many people are going to change the configuration.

The G.SKILL SoDIMMS are so new on the market, I don’t think anyone I know has them.  Regarding the timings, I don’t recall seeing them listed anywhere.  Ask Kingston what KTL-TP667/4G is and compare that to the G.SKILL.

5. Mike Dennis says:

I ordered a set of those for my Inspiron 1520, and they should be here today.  Having 4GB was enough for most stuff, but I needed to create a big analysis model in my last grad class that needed 3GB for that process.  I ended up having to do it from Linux because Vista x64 was taking up about half of that just sitting there.  It would have been nice to not have to switch back and forth all the time on there.  I bought some G.SKILL memory a little while ago for my Eee PC, and I have been pretty happy with that.

6. Rob says:

Too bad they are out of stock already… 🙂

7. Keith Combs says:

Thanks Mike.  Let us know how it works out on your Dell Inspiron 1520.  I hope the 1520 has the chipset and BIOS that allows for addressing more than 4GB of memory.  It needs to have the "Santa Rosa" chipset or higher for that.  See http://www.intel.com/technology/intel64/index.htm.

GOOD LUCK!!!

8. Mike Dennis says:

It looks like I can pass 4GB, but I can’t get both sticks to work at once…  I can get either by itself to work and one 4GB and one 2GB to work.  When I have both in there, the BIOS just kind of hangs.  I haven’t had a problem like this before.  I’m not sure if there is still some limit I could be getting stopped by or if there could be a problem with one or both.  Does anyone have any ideas?

9. Keith Combs says:

Sounds like some phone calls to Dell or G.SKILL are in order.

10. Mike Dennis says:

According to Dell, my laptop has a limit of 8GB, and the support person I talked to thought that the memory must have been a couple MBs over the limit for my machine…

11. Keith Combs says:

WOW.  A couple of MB over the limit?  Sounds like a bug and someone didn’t do a good job in math.  Considering we know Windows Vista works quite well in a 8GB configuration, I don’t think it’s the OS.

Sounds like a Dell bug or the memory just isn’t compatible.  I’d probably return it.  That price sounded too good to be true.

12. Mike Dennis says:

I am probably returning one of them, so I still have 6GB total.  It doesn’t even go all the way through the BIOS checks, so I don’t think it could be the OS.  It would be nice if they released a BIOS update that fixes that, but for now, I think I am going to send one back.

13. Koster says:

As of 3PM this afternoon, the G.SKILL 2 x 4GB (8GB Total) memory DIMMs are installed and running in my T61P. Laptop posts and Vista loads. I’m still running 32bit Ultimate, all intentions are to load Server 2008 x64 with Hyper-V over the weekend.

From the label on the box I received from NewEgg: F2-5300CL5S-4GBSQ

14. Keith Combs says:

Thanks Koster.  I hope this works out.

15. Robin says:

Mike My D630 did the exact same thing. When Dell Released their newest BIOS it fixed the issue.

16. Alvin says:

Anyone hear how well (or not) these 4GB chips work in an HP 8510w?

17. Mike Dennis says:

When did they release it?  I have version A09 for the 1520, which the guy I talked to said it was the most recent version for that.  I am worried that since the model is over a year old that they may not fix the issue.

18. Andy says:

Robin, Are you saying you got G.SKILL (2x4GB) to work on D630?

19. Keith Combs says:

Robin has Kingston memory.  8GB of it.  But he had the same issue with the Kingston memory until Dell issued the updated BIOS.

20. Mike Dennis says:

The person I am in the chat with now is telling me that Dell will only support the 2GB that came with the system, and that it only supports 4GB…  I hate when you get the people that complain that you got some hardware somewhere else and just refuse to help you.

21. Brandon says:

Mike Dennis, thanks for your 1520 testing.

I think I’ll order one stick for a total of 6GB.

I’d like 8, but I guess that will not work 🙁 But since I ordered one stick, I can upgrade later.

22. Mike Dennis says:

I did decide to not return my other 4GB stick, and I think I will just try to keep bugging Dell in hopes that they will end up fixing it.  Hopefully, I will eventually end up getting someone from their support team who doesn’t just blow me off because I didn’t order my memory from Dell.  If anyone else has this problem, please try to talk to Dell too, and maybe they will actually look into fixing it if enough people complain…

23. Brandon says:

Agreed mike, they have to fix this.

I actually only have 5GB. 4+1 lol. I forgot I had two 1GB sticks and not just one 2GB.

The computer already feels snappier oddly enough, even with 3.5Gigs recognized. I am putting x64 on there though.

24. stephen says:

I picked up FOUR of these from Newegg (by accident.)  I was comparing what a friend had paid six months ago and thought the $329 price was for each DIMM.  It’s actually for the pair.  Doh.

I’ve installed two of them in my Thinkpad T61p, and they show as 8GB in 32-bit Vista SP1.  Vista however won’t use more than the first 3GB until I reinstall with 64-bit.  That’s the plan later next week.  So far after two days of running these pretty hard no hangs or blue screens.

Just one more data point for comparison.

It’s amazing how cheap memory has gotten.

Stephen