Dell Latitude D630 owners get 8GB memory support

Blair Bigger of Microsoft MCS Federal informed me today that a BIOS update gives Latitude D630 users access to 8GB of memory.  This does of course assume 8GB is installed and you are running a 64bit OS.

Blair indicated it is the BIOS update dated 8/13/2008.  Looks like it is sitting at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R194000&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D630&servicetag=&os=WV64&osl=en&deviceid=13457&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=12&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=267710 on the Dell support website.

Go forth and prosper!

1. Damien Guard says:

I wish Apple weren’t so against adding support and features to their hardware after taking the money or we might see an update for the MBP to allow 8GB of RAM.

[)amien

2. Nate says:

The website doesn’t list 8GB of RAM support as an option.  Fixes and enhancements are listed as:

Fixes/Enhancements

——————

1. Improved support for 4GB memory.

2. Improved PXE support.

Did I miss something?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just need to be shown where it lists 8GB support.  Should we take the improved 4GB support to mean support for 2 4GB modules?

3. Keith Combs says:

Well Blair Bigger, the Microsoft Consultant that gave me the heads up actually tested it.

4. Robin says:

Keith,

I meant to call you this weekend on this. It works great! I have a full VDI demo running on my d630. I have been working with Dell support since I got my modules and finally got the RTW code last week.

Support for 4GB memory is support for 4GB modules

Robin

5. Keith Combs says:

FYI, If everyone doesn’t know Robin, he’s a Citrix Engineer/Evangelist.  You’ll find him at the big conferences helping with our booths, or in the Citrix booth.

Nice to know we have confirmation from a couple of sources now.

Thanks Robin!

6. Trevor Dwyer says:

Fantastic news thay it can now handle 8GB, I was looking at price of 4GB last week an it was £83.00, the 8GB kit is £679.00 – depressing 🙂

At last though running SQL on a VM will be able to perform rather than just work.