Silverlight Streaming v2 Test – check this out

I’m doing some work with the Expression Suite v2 Beta and part of that is control over the player properties for the streaming video.  This is pretty important for posting to my blog.  But I do believe I have this figured out now.  Here’s a HD 720p stream.  In order to play this video, you probably need a rather fat pipe.  If it doesn’t play smoothly, please comment on your ISP connection.

For the embedded player control below, there are a few things I’d like you to test.

1. Full screen button – on the player bar, the icon on the far left makes the video play full screen. ESC gets you back out of full screen mode.

2. Pause – check to see that it pauses and resumes.

3. FF/Rewind – with this embedded control, it doesn’t really fast forward or rewind.  It should however move the current video position on clicks to either button.  I noticed you can’t really move around in the video until the download is complete.

What do you think?  Pretty rad, eh?

[UPDATE] I have changed the encoding so that the bit rate is now 3MB instead of 6MB.  I am also testing the download and autoplay UI in Encoder v2 Beta.

[UPDATE for 6/15/2008]  It’s back to 6MB.

1. Hans Fredrik says:

That was impressive, the streaming went flawlessly, but I have a 100MBit connection, but suprisingly I had some playback issues (dropped frames, stuttering). I have no problem with playing local 720p files.

2. Keith Combs says:

Hans, where are you located?  If you are overseas, some of stuttering and dropped frames were likely due to latency.  If you are where I think you are, you were playing the video like 4800 miles from the origin.

3. Gkeramidas says:

i have a 10mbit pipe through comcast and it played perfectly, even at full screen. control worked ok, too.

4. Ross'RosCo'Chronister says:

Played great at full screen, took 25 years to download with Ma Bell and her 3 mb coconut radio dsl, sounded good, too. Not bad.

5. MikeB says:

10mb Charter pipe, played flawlessly.  Very cool.

6. Keith Combs says:

Did the video start playing near instantly after clicking the big start button?  Normally SilverLight Streaming will start playing pretty quickly as long as the play buffer can stay ahead of the download buffer.

In this case, it’s a 6Mb stream so I would imagine a 3Mb connection would have a hard time staying ahead so it might have to download half of the video first.

7. Brandon Clinger says:

Played flawlessly here. I only have a 7mbit pipe from RoadRunner.

8. Tim Lang says:

I am on a 10Mb cable modem in Vancouver, BC.  The video started playing about 3-4 seconds after I hit play, so nice quick start up.  Audio quality was good, and the resolution of the video was awesome. The was some video studder throughout the clip though, it wasn’t too major (mabye a 1/4 second max), but it happened probably 8-10 times during the entire video.  Pretty nift to watch someting full screen and have it look that crisp from an online stream.  Very impressive.

9. femi says:

dropped frames & stuttering

15Mb from Time Warner

pretty cool!!

10. Ross'RosCo'Chronister says:

Took a while to get started, Keith. You are probably right in that it downloaded half of the file before we could get going. How big of a file is it, by the by?

11. ryan says:

Dedicated 6 Mb (Ethernet via fibre) connection, but I couldn’t get it to play smoothly.  Also, in full-screen mode, there didn’t appear to be any player controls.  Beautiful quality, though!

As an aside, I remember when my dad used to bring home materials on the F-16 and the F-20–my understanding at the time was that they were deciding between those two planes to replace their F-4s.  Sometimes it’s amazing watching how maneuverable the F-16 is.

12. Andrew Hill says:

Video looks great, but had to keep re-buffering the video about every 15 sec.  I’ve got a 5Mb cable connection with Charter.

13. Keith Combs says:

I am just testing the upper bounds so for those of you with connections at or below 5MB, thanks for the feedback.

The real work I’ll be creating will be in the 1-3MB range so a 5MB connection should be good for the stuff I have coming.

14. tinman says:

Very nice clear picture…

I have a 20Mbps Comcast cable connection in Oregon, and it was stuttery. Oh so stuttery.

I saw about a fourth of the actual frames 🙁

15. tinman says:

Most of it is pretty smooth and watchable, now that I look at it, but there are still parts in the video that are very stuttery.

16. femi says:

on my vista machine with silverlight beta 2, it wants me to download v1.0 instead?

17. Keith Combs says:

Yea, the title of the post is misleading.  I’m actually using Encoder v2 beta, not SilverLight v2.  I can force it later but I haven’t just yet.  Sorry.

Tinman, not sure what to say yet.  It’s probably my lack of knowledge thus far on encoding.  The original source material for the Fight Pilot video is at  You might download and try is locally for comparison.  It’s a 9MB bit rate 720p WMV HD video.

18. Charles Van Heusen says:

The footage was great until I hit the buffer then I’d have to wait 20-30 seconds for more of it to download.   I’ve dropped down to a 10mb / 2mb connection at home.

19. Keith Combs says:

Charles, you might check your connection to see what kind of throughput and latency you are really getting.  For instance, from your house, you might see what speeds you are getting out of the tests at

Here’s my test result there:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 15439 Kbps about 15.4 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1885 kB/s

Tested From:: (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/03/11 – 1:30am

Bottom Line:: 269X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.54 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 6.452 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 160.88 % faster than the average for host (

D-Validation Link::

Then of course there’s

If you are really on FIOS, you should be seeing the fluid playback I do on wired or wireless connections at your home.

20. femi says:

I still get some 1 to 2 second "freeze’s" then it resumes playing

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 13038 Kbps about 13 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1592 kB/s

Tested From:: (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/03/11 – 7:41am

Bottom Line:: 227X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.64 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 7.64 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 157.31 % faster than the average for host (

D-Validation Link::

21. stephen says:

It hurts down-under here Keith with a 512Kbps DSL connection, that is more the telecommunications industry fault here and once I can get a provider that can provision 8Mbps at my exchange it will all be great. 😛

22. Keith Combs says:

512k ???  You might as well be using a 9600 baud Hayes modem.  Where are you at, the outback with the roos?

Ok, all teasing aside, you’re obviously not going to enjoy any videos with that kind of connection.  It’s one of the reasons I’ll be producing a variety of formats and data rates.

Thanks for the feedback.

23. Stephen Edgar says:

Surprisingly I am 35km’s (~20 miles) from the centre of Melbourne (The second largest capital city in Australia for those watching at home) and I can get ultra fast cable from Bigpond (Our ex-government now privatised telecoms carrier) though if I wanted to watch a video or two from On10, TechNet Edge or Channel9 once a day I would easily be looking at needing around 40-60Gb per month and this is the problem here in Australia the per Gb data charges that affect all ISP’s here and is driven more so by the wholesale bandwidth market and existing infrastructure of Telstra’s (Bigpond) who ‘own’ the copper infrastructure going to most homes in Australia.

My current ISP costs me ~AU$659.00/Year ($54.95/Mth) at 512Kbps with 20Gb per month. I can go up to a 1.5Mbps with 20Gb/Mth for ~AU$839/Year ($69.95/mth). Above that data allowance costs then kick in and is priced typically at AU$15/10Gb. So at 512 for 60Gb = AU$1379/Year and at 1.5 for 60Gb = AU$1559/Year. If I wanted ‘cable’ Bigpond’s ~24Mbps 60Gb plan I am looking at $2107.80/Year who then charge AU$150/Gb Excess if you go over your 60Gb (Yes no typo $150/GB Excess)

So I just play along here at home on 512kbps to keep the price down and stop the temptation to watch all that video goodness that Microsoft offer as it just becomes too expensive to watch this content. If Microsoft were to shift some of that goodness off the Akamai network (Or share a different stream with our ISP’s) and let our ‘independent’ ISP’s peer that content away from Akamai with each other we could get most of that content for free from our ISP’s and it not be counted in the monthly download quota’s. Due to the way Akamai works the ISP’s can’t separate the costs out for billing with this distribution method. Currently my ISP has most Linux Distro’s, many podcasts and game demos available for free unmetered downloads (~5.6 Terrabytes) which they download once and we can then just ‘go for it’ in as ‘much as you can eat’ and is not counted in my 20Gb/Mth so On10, Edge, C8 & C9 content would be great to have in this way and would be fantastic to say the least in what Microsoft could do to help Australian customers, Dev’s & IT Pro’s etc in our high priced internet world down-under. I fully understand the Akamai network and the way it distributes the content for Microsoft and why it needs it for Windows Updates and Downloads etc but it would be very cool if an alternate stream for TechNet & MSDN Blogs, On10, Edge, C8 & C9 were to offer our peering exchanging ISP’s here in Australia.

24. eleetk says:

On 7MB connection and it played smoothly, I also have 2GB of RAM and a C2D E6600.

25. Dave says:

Runs fine here on Comcast 8MB, however a comment on fullscreen mode:  I have my browser (FF2) on my second, extended desktop screen.  I press the fullscreen button and it opens on the opposite – wrong – screen.

Good quality though, and lower CPU than flash!

Nice 🙂

26. Rob says:

you guys make me sick…

1.5/384 AT&T DSL and it played like a fighter plane slide show….  🙁

27. Rick says:

Works flawlessly on roadrunner 15/768

28. Dave Morris - Talon's dad says:

10 Mbit/sec connection through AT&T UVerse.

Ran without stuttering, but there was no player bar so I had no control over the video.  I could click on it, and it would pause, and click again to restart, but no buttons ever appeared.

Vista on an HP laptop, 1280 x 800 display size.  NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 graphics.