VMRCPlus goes public – download now

For those of you running Microsoft Virtual Server, we have a new treat in store for you.  Originally developed by Paul Despe then enhanced by Matthijs ten Seldam, VMRCPlus is a new VM client display and management tool.  This tool will be available shortly on the Microsoft download center, TechNet online download centers, and in the companion disk of a new book written by Robert Larson & Janique Carbone.  As with most if not all of our resource kit type tools, there is no support for the tool.  However, here’s a list of the goodies in the tool in case you are brave enough:

• Direct control of local or remote instances of the Virtual Server service. IIS and IE browser are no longer required!
    • Tabbed interface to quickly jump between Virtual Server hosts and guest VMRC sessions.
    • Reusable saved states: this feature allows users to preserve a particular saved state and return to that state at any time.
    • Multiple guest selection supported for startup/shutdown/save/display.
    • Browse button navigation for media, hard disk images, ISO images, .VMC files, etc.
    • Drag and Drop support for .VMC files, ISOs images, VHD and VFD files.
    • Resizable desktop support for guests running Virtual Machine Additions (maximize VMRC window supported).
    • Limited cut and paste of text from host to guest (only).
    • A built-in utility to take JPG screenshots of running guests. Useful when filing bugs.
    • Built-in error notification with Virtual Server eventlog viewer.
    • A Virtual Networks Manager and Virtual Disks Manager that cover all features.
    • Keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl-S to save state a guest).
    • Create multiple guests at once.
    • Create guest from parent (or multiple guests)!
    • Automatic reconnect to a designated Virtual Server host.
    • Toolbars in both Guest and Console Manager for quick access.
    • Unlimited number of guests.
    • Maximum of 32 Virtual Server hosts.
    • Sorting on columns of guests so you can sort based on status and multi-select.
    • Automatic detection of Virtual Machine Additions and notification.
    • Detection of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

Download @ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80adc08c-bfc6-4c3a-b4f1-772f550ae791&DisplayLang=en

[UPDATE 1]  The download link has been updated on 7/2/2007 to point to the official location on the microsoft.com download center as promised.  Matthijs also has a blog now for questions.  Enjoy.

[Update 2]  In reference to the questions about the security model, see the post at http://blogs.technet.com/matthts/archive/2007/07/10/vmrcplus-and-authentication.aspx.  It probably isn’t what you want to hear, but there you have it.

I have seen videos that had VMRCPlus used to control Virtual Server VMs and had always wanted to grab a copy because I have always found VS’s IIS web interface very clunky at best. I spotted over here that they have finally released a 32-bit and 64-b

Sorry for the prolonged period of silence on my blog, everyone. I can assure you that all is still well

As you can imagine, a company full of great developers such as Microsoft has a bunch of folks that crank

As a lot of you know I prefer virtual PC over Virtual Server for my demonstrations, during live events

5. FL says:

Thanks for developing the fantastic tool for VS.

And is there any auth choice for VS server connection? Seems different domain’s auth cannot be completed in VMRCplus.

Keith Combs has put up the link a great new tool that I have been playing with all day. Its a great way

through Keith combs For those of you running Microsoft Virtual Server , we have a new treat in store

Cade proprio " a fagiuolo" , come si suol dire, questo bel tool di gestione remota delle VM e del’amministrazione

I’ve always tried to use the tools available that ship with products but sometimes a better alternative

From Keith Combs’ Blahg : VMRCPlus goes public – download now is a cool sounding utility that gives you greater control of your virtual server images. The one thing that looked good to me was built in screen capturing. I’ll…

Get all the details and download link for the *unsupported* but-still-mighty-useful VMRCPlus app over

12. Excelent tool. Thanks.

If you use Virtual Server, you must have this tool. You could wait til it’s up on th edownload center

VMRCPlus is new tool which will become public soon or even is released right now. This is one of the

The tool is VMRCplus – an alternate UI as opposed to the Virtual Server web interface. VMRCplus uses

Keith Combs’ Blahg : VMRCPlus goes public – download now

L’adoption de Virtual Server comme outil de virtualisation à peut être été ralentie/stoppée pour certaines

18. johnnyb says:

Thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in developing this.

The previous elaborate and laborious method of managing VS is so lame that – well, I am struggling at an advanced age to become more diplomatic.  Lame will suffice.

Mike

For any of you running Virtual Server as your virtualization solution (and I am certainly in that camp

VMRCPlus is a new tool that provides an alternative to the Virtual Server 2005 web based administration

21. Charlie Russel says:

It would be great if this tool worked with Windows Server Virtualization (aka, Viridian). Because it is very much a winner!

Direi "finalmente"!: è stato reso pubblico un tool che internamente usiamo da sempre: VMRC PLUS. Si tratta

23. Having no support is fine … if you can get the tool to work ;-). It is a bit frustrating if you cannot even connect to your VM server.

A couple of feedback points from a colleague who has been able to get it to work:

1 – When you run VMRC+ from a remote machine. You have to be logged in the same domain where the VS host resides and with an account that has permissions to VS. I know this is good security but the program needs to have an option to let you specify another account to use.

2 – There is no warning when installing the 32 bit version in a 64 bit system. It installs fine and then it loads and quickly shuts down with no warning. Many people will be doing this mistake as we start to deploy 64 bit OSs. I have found that many utilities, updates and services packs come in 64 and 32 bit and the majority don’t check for it and once you get them installed, they don’t work.

24. Keith Combs says:

Good questions.  See http://blogs.technet.com/matthts/archive/2007/06/29/vmrcplus-is-here.aspx for the new location to ask questions.  Matthijs started a blog so hopefully he’ll have time to answer some of them and take enhancement requests.

Keith Combs' Blahg : VMRCPlus goes public – download now: http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs/archive

26. aaron says:

I also have a problem with the cross-domain thing.  It says it can’t connect to the server.  Anyway to get it to prompt for user credentials?

As mentioned here – VMRCplus is a free tool that allows you to use Virtual Server without having the

Thanks to the guys at Microsoft for this.. Paul Despe , Virtual guy – Ben Armstrong , Keith Combs , Matthijs

29. Whitney Roberts says:

I don’t understand why this program cannot accept alternate credentials for connecting to the Virtual Server when the regular VMRC can.

I read in the help file where ‘untrusted’ authentication isn’t supported by the VS COM API, hence it isn’t used by VMRC+.  However, the regular VMRC does it, so there must be a way.

This is the #1 reason why this tool, although awesome, is not usable for consultants and those who are not a member of any certain domain *ever*.

Don’t get me wrong – I appreciate the tool… I just don’t see why this feature couldn’t be ‘lifted’ from the VMRC code, because *someone* at MS obviously got this to work.

30. Keith Combs says:

Whitney, have you asked the developer this question?  His blog address is provided just above this comment in my previous comment and at the top of the article.

If you have asked and he has not answered in a reasonable amount of time, let me know and I’ll get the answer.

And for the record, I agree that it needs to work in a multi domain based environment so you can support your customers in a secure manner.  However, it needs to be secure.

31. ML49448 says:

Nice Tool! Unfortunately, I am not able to restore a snapshot. The menu is grayed out. I enabled undo disk and I was able to create a snapshot.

Äntligen får jag skriva om, prata om och framförallt visa var du kan ladda hem det bästa MS har gjort…

Ran into this at Keith Combs Blahg , VMRCPlus is a new VM client display and management tool for Virtual

I have always found the standard management tools that are bundled with Virtual Server are somewhat uncomfortable

35. WOW – this looks very cool.  I confess to mostly using VPC over MSVS – really for only one feature:

Alt-PrintScreen

I frequently need to capture the active window for documentation – and you cant do it from the VS console, VMRC, or even Terminal Client.  You can from the VPC desktop.

If that is in VMRCplus … I may have to switch to MSVS full time!!!  Nice work Matthijs.

During the last month, due to some testing we had to carry out with a software project, I needed to work…

38. Ken Wallewein says:

Authentication is a significant issue.

I do not normally log into my local workstation as a domain administrator.  As a result (it appears), I get the rather generic and largely useless "does not exist/unavailable/permissions" error message.

Further, using "Run As" doesn’t appear to work either.  I was surprised at that.  And RDP is not a great alternative.

This, to me, is the single biggest issue with VMRC+.  And it’s a shame, because we could sure use it.

/kenw

39. O'Neil says:

i heard about this new internet